TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,589 Posts
I have too have the v66 error on 3 Minis and also on my Roamio Plus with Verizon FIOS. A reboot fixes it, but it's only temporary. So basically all of my TVs do not have Live TV without a reboot and the "fix" times out. I'm hoping we have an answer today on this. I'm ok with quirks of a new release, but no Live TV on every box is going to be a tough sell to my wife. She's already struggling with the new UI.
I upgraded one Roamio Pro and one first gen Mini yesterday through forced downloads and all the problems described...endlessly looping Minis, black screens, cablecard errors on the Mini, etc. I let our other Roamio and all the Minis upgrade on their own overnight and this morning, everything is working fine. Watched live TV for several hours this morning through a couple of different Minis without issues. Playback across DVRs worked fine, as did streaming from Netflix and Hulu last night on the upgraded Roamio Pro. For anyone still have issues with their Mini/DVR connections, I'd suggest doing a forced connection, and then rebooting the DVR(s). Then do the same on each Mini.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
C&DE won't revert back to the old software. To do that you'd need to tell the DVR to either revert back to the software in the old (now reserve) partition, or get the Tivo to somehow download a version older than one on the box. In either case, we'll need an app from TiVo to make it happen.

For Minis, that app is a website that is called whenever the mini tries to use a host DVR that is running a different version than the Mini. For the DVRs themselves, there is an app on the DVRs, but it is currently hidden. I assume that is to prevent it showing up on DVRs of users that haven't heard about Hydra yet. Remember this is an EARLY release to the TCF community...once it is announced as available to all users I expect the "revert" app will be made visible.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
No way something as basic as this should have slipped through beta testing.
V66 errors are caused by a loss of connection between the Mini and its host DVR. This is why they did the "early request" page...to test it with the TCF community where it will be run on hundreds of different LANs. This is just one of those things that you really don't find until you get more users exercising the software.

Reactions: JoeKustra

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Just turned on the TV with the Mini to the V66 error and this (much shorter UI reboot) did fix it...thanks!
Another data point:

I found the V66 error on two Minis this morning...both had been left streaming live TV when the TV was turned off. The Minis that were returned to the Home screen before walking away were fine and grabbed a tuner normally.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
A couple of points...the tiles across the bottom of the home screen is the "smart bar" which is supposed to show programs you frequently watch at the current time of day. It is NOT a list of the most recent recorded or viewed shows.

If you go to "My Shows" the bar that is displayed there IS a list of your recording and streaming content, ordered by most recent activity. If you turn on the Episode Bar in preferences then you get a set of tiles for the currently selected folder (BTW, this is why even one episode is in a folder). The tiles are listed in order according to the 1P or folder setting.

I suggest that before people start calling things bugs, they read the documentation for the New TiVo experience to see how it was designed to work, versus how you think it should work.

The New TiVo Experience User Guide

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Are you suggesting the 'smart bar' should direct you to a program in the deleted folder even though the current one is available? That does not really sound like a very 'smart' thing to do. A well designed 'upgrade' should be at least 90% intuitive from the previous version. Even the Windows interfaces incrementally upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 10 never required a manual to do the most basic things. I would also point out that there is no obvious manual for this upgrade. I suppose I could find one, but how about incorporating some of your points into the interface with the option to turn them off when you don't want them anymore. That is a rather common way of introducing new interfaces. I would also point out that I went from a Tivo 2 many years ago to the Bolt and never needed a manual to get around the original Bolt interface. My main point is that Tivo obviously rushed this to the market without doing basic usability or beta studies.
Not knowing exactly what you did or what you saw, I can't say if your results were expected or not. I'm not saying there are no bugs, but many of the issues I see raised are because people are assuming they know what they are looking at, and in many cases are mistaken. Take a quick read through the "Quick Tour" to get oriented on what all the tile strips do and how they are meant to work. The paradigm is very different, and if you don't like change, DON'T upgrade. But for those of us that like Hydra, it would be helpful if the real functional bugs could get reported without a lot of "but it doesn't work the way I expect" posts mixed in.

Reactions: chiguy50

· Registered
2,589 Posts
You can't with a 4K mini. I️ believe you can't.
I think you can...you have to roll back the DVR first, which will wipe all recordings and settings, and THEN roll back the mini. The instructions found here should work for any DVR or Mini, but I personally have not tried it yet.

Reactions: osu1991

· Registered
2,589 Posts
A Mini V3 running 20.7x (i.e. 'TiVo Classic') will not pair with a Slide Remote (the old BT based one) or a Slide Pro Remote (the newer RF version). That's the only issue I've heard with them being downgraded.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Come on you expect us to read 70 pages of documentation to better understand how tivo hydra works? Are you insane in this day and age reading documents is a lost art.. I think you are maybe expecting too much from us, don't you think? Jk.. very valid point you made.
Well, if you don't take the time to know how it is supposed to work, then how can you call a difference from the Classic UI a bug? At least half of the "issues" reported are of the 'I used to <some action> and now I can't.'

This is not a new version of the UI, this is a totally new UI. Get to know it before you trash it.

BTW: just reading the first 8 or so pages (the Quick Guide) is probably enough to solve a LOT of issues.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Hydra clearly is designed to use much more of the screen edges than Encore (classic UI)...on all our TVs the time and TiVo logo at the top of the screen are just barely on screen.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
And my problem (Roamio OTA) continues to be not so much with the guide (except for many SD channels incorrectly labeled "HD" ), but a bug that causes the channel banner to randomly change to display either "title not available" and thus no program info. Or shows the wrong station and therefore the wrong program info., even if that station is unchecked in the channel settings.

I have to repeatedly use the guide option "A" workaround trick to temporarily fix both problems. Though the "title not available" issue can usually be fixed by just re-selecting that station you are viewing from the guide.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
This is fixed in RC9.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Today I went to MY Shows and wanted to continue watching a show (how do you do that, anyway? Half the time it starts from the beginning) and all I got was a spinning blue circle. No matter what I tried to do, I could not get the show (or any show) to play). Went back to live tv then pulled up the Tivo menu to find that the menu had reset to default (I had added 3 items to the menu, but they were no longer there.). Rebooted the system and everything returned to normal (though the show started at the beginning again).
There is a user preference option to add a "Paused" category to the My Shows menu bar. That will get you to any partially played recording and allow you to resume it.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
I have two Roamio Pros that freeze up and reboot at random. Had these things for years and never ever had a freeze up / un planned reboot. Just happened to me when I tried to load Amazon.
Which build are you on? I'm one of the early testers of RC9, but I didn't see this on any of the earlier builds. We use Amazon, Netflix and Hulu quite a bit and all 3 have been working fine under Hydra on both our Roamio Pros and Minis.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
There is an option to add a "Paused" category to the My Shows nav bar. That should display any show that was left in progress.

I haven't noticed the "stop recording" bug.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Yeah ...

Trying to hang in there with this bug since not all my local channels (Roamio OTA) have this problem with the CB randomly going wonky and suddenly displaying the wrong station info., or none at all. But just enough of them to make it irritating. Especially with the increasing frequency.

Diana said RC9 fixed it, and quoting TIVO_Ted said if all remained quiet RC9 would be heading out sometime this week.

But I see only RC8 showed up ....

Don't know what this one fixed, but not this one ...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Yes, they pushed RC8 to all Hydra users this week, and Ted mentioned that there would be another next week...not sure if that will be RC9 or a later build. RC8 apparently fixed the V66 error but not some other bugs that were fixed in RC9, including the blank guide issue.

My assumption is that they didn't want to push the bigger RC9 after limited testing, with a holiday weekend coming up. But the V66 error was so widespread they pushed the smaller, more widely tested, RC8. Probably what I would do too.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Sometimes shows get put on the to-do list and are then cancelled automatically later. I've seen that many times in the past. They get cancelled because when it gets closer to the record date, the DVR processes the current metadata and it turns out to not meet the record criteria. As long it doesn't actually record them, or cancel something it should record, I wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
While I have been one of the most vocal defenders of Hydra, I have chosen to not respond FAR more often than I have chosen to do so. I continue to maintain that if you subtract out the look and feel complaints, you are left with a couple of serious Mini related bugs (V66s, V87s, remote pairing failure, etc.) and a bunch relatively minor issues. That makes it no worse than other major DVR software update I've seen (and I went through a bunch of them on Dish Network and DirecTV).

After the 10th complaint about removing the Live Guide, what is left to say? So just considering the numbers of negative vs. positive comments on TCF is not an accurate view either. You would need to compile a list of specific issues, separate them into bugs vs. design complaints (font size, graphic size, colors, etc.) and then see how many of the former are common and/or reproducible and how many of the latter are just resistance to learning a new UI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.