TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
I'm trying hard to figure out if the below is in my head or not, but I'm noticing a decrease in video quality on my Roamio Pro since the update. I'm seeing two things I'm finding difficult to prove: 1) Video looks fuzzier and more "compressed" than before, and 2) there are times when Live TV/recording seems like it's "skipping frames", but a reboot of the box fixes it. This might happen after going into an app and then back to watching TV. Anyone else seeing something resembling my hallucinations? :)
After loading Hydra today the first thing I noticed was that my TV looked awful! Not fuzzy or compressed as you mention, but the color, saturation, detail, brightness, contrast...everything...was awful!

My TV is new, about two weeks old. So I've been adjusting the picture to my satisfaction. I'm pretty sure my settings were the same...but I had to re-check and adjust EVERYTHING to get the picture back to my satisfaction.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
What are your resolution output options set for? I did notice that if you have 2160P24/25/30 or 1080P24/25 selected that the Bolt will output at 30P from 1080i broadcasts instead of 60P like it used to.

I only have info for if there is a 24P framerate with my ROamio setup. so I have no way of knowing if it is also outputting at 30P or actually at 60P like it should be. But none of my boxes had any difference in color, saturation, brightness, etc after they upgraded to hydra. If there was a sharpness difference it wasn't obvious to me.
I have Automatic off and I did select both 1080p 24/25 fps passthrough and 1080i (preferred). I'll try a few different options. Feed is from Comcast to a Pioneer receiver to a Sony 4K set. I'm pretty sure I have any/all scaling/processing in the Pioneer receiver turned off. Don't some sets process the signal differently for certain HDMI inputs? I'm using HDMI 2 on the Sony 4K set.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
For the time being don't check more than one box at a time -- the multi-resolution mode (which presumably is intended to be the new passthrough mode) doesn't work on Hydra yet. When/if that gets enabled, then you can decide whether to let the TiVo continue to process to match your TV resolution or whether you want to have multiple modes output natively and let the TV process it.
Interesting! Thanks for that info.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
I'm seeing an inconsistency on my Mini's. Some channel changes are faster than before Hydra, some channel changes are slower than before Hydra.

The slow channel changes have the video appear pretty fast, but it's frozen and there's no audio. Then the video changes once, sometimes twice...then the video and audio begin working normally.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Heading into the office shortly. We are working on a priority list of bugs to resolve. This particular V66 error appears to be related to network discovery. The MINI is losing connection to the host dvr.
I had this happen this morning. Had been watching TV on a Mini for about 45 minutes. Went to change channel and could not. I could get to TiVo Home...but nothing worked. Then the error about a missing cable card came up. Fix for me was rebooting the Mini.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Pick the native resolutions in the video menu and it should pass through. The only processing is when you have the TiVo change the resolution.
In a recent post someone said Automatic (in video resolutions) does not work right in Hydra. So I don't have Automatic selected. The 1080i (preferred) makes my picture look awful. I don't have this selected either.

So, if I select 1080p 60fps this means the TiVo is not doing any processing and passing the signal to my TV for processing? (That's what I get from the description on the right side of this page.)

And I guess I don't understand the 1080p 24/25fps (pass-through) option. As far as I know, Comcast doesn't use this...so I can just leave this option off?

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Hydra (RC11) stuff I've recently come across:

• Using the Enter/Last button: sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. If it is working, and you visit TiVo Central...it will fail the next time you try to use it.

• Sometimes trying to change the channel doesn't work. I've seen cases where I'll enter a new channel number and ... nothing happens.

• When jumping from tuner to tuner I occasionally see a blank screen on the channel I'm jumping to. If I use channel up or down, then back...the screen is displaying the channel.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
I've generally been happy with Hydra. Some small issues, nothing major. I was thinking about creating a Wish List...but can't find it in Hydra. They removed Wish Lists from Hydra?

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Mid-afternoon today, while checking my TiVo's To Do list...I see an Iron Chef Showdown scheduled to record at 6 pm. I'm pretty certain the guide data is wrong...pretty sure we've seen this show. But I let it record anyway.

A little after 7 pm, My Shows has FOUR entries for this show. Two titled Iron Chef Showdown, two titled IRON. WTF?

I play the top-most entry...yeah...it's a repeat. I return to My Shows and delete it...and all four entries disappear.

I don't know what to think...is Hydra getting better or worse?

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
Yesterday was the first time I thought seriously about removing Hydra from my Roamio and Mini's. Here is what happened:

1) Two days ago...going to TiVo Home didn't work right. Took a long time to come up...and my shortcuts were gone...only the default shortcuts were there. So, a restart and all is well again.

2) Yesterday, with 3 or 4 of the 6 tuners recording...I select a tuner that is not recording. Change to a different channel and when the TiVo banner pops up from the bottom I see "no data" or words similar. I press Record...and get "the copyright holder does not permit recording." I try to change to a different channel...it doesn't work. So, for about three minutes...I try changing channels, selecting different tuners...bringing up the guide...which is blank. Then, I see the guide come up normally...and things are once again working the way they should.

TiVo_Ted mentioned we'd have an update by now (after the holidays). I sure wish they'd push out something to fix some of these darn bugs.

·
Mount Airy, MD
728 Posts
I'm really dismayed with the current experience. It's pretty bad since the update to Hydra.
I upgraded my Roamio and three Minis to Hydra. Figured it was the future, and with my computers and iOS devices I always prefer to have the latest and greatest operating systems.

I'm almost ready to downgrade. The experience on the Mini's just keeps getting worse and worse. And the experience on the Roamio isn't as good as pre-Hydra.

This week is hectic, as we prepare for a vacation next week. When we return, if there's been no Hydra update that improves the experience...I'm going to ditch Hydra.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.