TiVo Community Forum banner

Bring Back Live Guide Option in Hydra!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
While others will see this as a dumb reason the lack of the Live Guide is why I am not using Hydra at this very moment. I can deal with bugs and quirks(Hydra issues topic) but I just can't sacrifice a feature that kept me using Tivo for all these years over just jumping to whatever DVR Comcast has had through the years as my main go to box. The fancy new appearance in Hydra is nice and all but at the end of the day I use my Tivo to find and record things to watch and the Live Guide works better for me in doing just that. I will gladly stay with the current UI over any new fancy update to keep it that way.

You know, I decided to make the leap to Hydra thinking I could deal without a Live Guide and its brutal, you made a wise call.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
You do know you can scroll to the right on the grid guide, correct?

As for movies, I don't think so. You have to do each channel (even if the same family like Starz!) to view the stuff. Set the grid so it shows 10 movie channels and you just zip through, seeing them all at once. I have five HD Starz! channels. If you only have one channel to look at, sure. But when you have to look at several, the Live Guide is actually slower.
Yes you can scroll right but it takes forever to go through 24 hours of shows, let alone a couple of days. To most Live Guide fans, we would rather go channel by channel (even if it means going through quite a few channels) to see what's on. Every night I sit down to watch TV, I pull up the Live Guide and go out until the end of the guide (about 2 weeks) and see what's on prime time on the channels I watch most and look for any new shows or specials. On Mondays we receive the new listings which takes it out 2 Saturdays ahead--at that point I scan through all of my premiums for that weekend as new movies usually premiere on Fridays or Saturdays and I may catch something I don't have a wish list set up for. Trying to do that with Hydra was brutal.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Do it your way but it does NOT take forever to scroll through the grid guide. You are just perpetuating the idea that you would rather do it the way you are used to than be efficient: "To most Live Guide fans, we would rather go channel by channel (even if it means going through quite a few channels)"

I have done exactly what you are saying with grid guides for years on a variety of systems. And if I see a movie I want to record that is on HBO and HBO West, with the grid guide, I can pick the showing I want so that it does not interfere with my viewing. Say a 1 am showing rather than a 10 pm. All on the same screen.

I love the rationalizations. Just like a religion. Reminds me of all the rationalizations on why Tivo should never have a disk space used indicator. Just as tortuous.

But I hope you get what you want so you can move forward. Good luck!
Its your opinion that the Grid Guide is more efficient for what I want to do, I disagree and think its inefficient.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Efficiency can be measured. And you have to remove proficiency from the equation when you do.

I agree that if you have ONE movie channel you want to look at the Live Guide is probably more efficient but when you throw in multiples, there is no way it is. Especially if you want to adjust recording times like I gave the example.
That's your opinion, I disagree.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Let's look at how many clicks it would take:

Notice that I see 8 movies all at once, and a single "Page Down" command shows me the next 8 programs. So about 16 programs in 1 click.

The grid guide for this would only be showing 1 movie, and half of another. You'd have to right-click 16 times to see as many. There's no way seeing 1 and a half movies at a time is more efficient than a whole page or 8 at once. I'd be clicking forever to go through all the guide data.
I'm with you 100%, it's why I felt like my hands were tied using Hydra to browse channels and decided to roll back. Hopefully they will add this at some point in the future.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I very much prefer the Grid Guide, but that's based on how I use my TiVo. However, I would never suggest my use case should determine what is best for everyone. But I've always been one to prefer more having more user preferences, while most developers avoid them whenever they can.

Curiously enough, one of my biggest pet peeves with the interface (outside of the various bugs that have been detailed elsewhere) is the predictions bar at the bottom the screen. Aside from the fact that I think it's absolutely pointless (hey, just my opinion!), the first show it always seems to suggest is "Dr. Oz," which is a show neither I nor anyone in the household ever watch or record. And despite giving it the maximum number of thumbs down, I can't seem to get rid of it. Curse you, Oz!
I noticed that too-it seems to list any show I've ever recorded, even only once as "Your Show" and many others listed were uninteresting to me. And as you mention seems to be no way to remove them. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is supposed to get smarter and learn over time.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Those of you who want the live guide need to tell tivo that you aren't transitioning because of it. (That and transfers seem to be the real showstoppers for some.) I'd bet tivo wants people to move and a block that isn't can leverage that.
I think TiVo Ted indicated the Live Guide was a frequent request during beta testing so it seems they are aware of it. When I was messaging him about testing the gen3 rollback I let him know I liked Hydra a lot but the Live Guide is primarily why I wanted to go back. Will see if they decide to implement a version of it in Hydra or not over time.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Thanks for lighting up the bat signal. As of now, we have no plans to bring back the live guide in its current form. The gen4 design has not been implemented in its full form yet. Additionally, we are doing research with new and existing customers to understand where we can improve usability. Next week at the Consumer Electronics Show we will be demonstrating the first set of UI enhancements to the gen4 interface. One of these enhancements will include functionality which enhances the one-line guide which you access by pressing arrow-up on live TV. I'm attaching a couple of screen shots so that you can see what it will look like. This is scheduled for release towards the end of February.

As a bit of a historical reference, I helped design the Live Guide in 1999 during my first stint at TiVo. I am quite fond of it as well, and would bring it back if it were easy. Our current priority is to improve the current gen4 UI vs. bringing back Live Guide. That doesn't mean we will never bring it back, it just means we're not bringing it back soon.

View attachment 32336 View attachment 32337
Thanks for the update and being honest with us. I may give Hydra another go after some additional updates you guys make but like some other users, Live Guide is so integral to how I use my TiVo it seems unlikely I would make the switch permanent.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Hi, new to TiVo, got a Bolt last month and decided not to Roll Back, since as its new to me, might as well learn with the new UI, however, I'm a bit curios as to what the Live Guide looks like. Google Images didn't help - can someone post here what the Live Guide looks like?
If you go to page 3 of this post there are pics of both the grid guide and live guide on the gen3/old UI.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
It's actually more than that. The new live g
guide with the up arrow scrolls all the way to two weeks of programming ... and backwards too. What I don't like is that the channel list is descending instead of ascending and that there is no skip ahead key that would skip ahead a page or a day. The right arrow key will move one program at a time.
That's disappointing you can't skip ahead by days with it, I was thinking at some point of upgrading again but it seems I would still be irritated without the live guide.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Maybe I've lost track of what the Live Guide is, but as far as I know, it has always been the type of guide in the iOS app.
On the iPhone, the guide screen is so narrow you can only see the list of channels but on the iPad you are correct, it is a "live guide" style with channels on left and shows for that channel highlighted on the right.

Edit: had to check both as I don't use the iPad TiVo app very often.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
In case it hasn't already been mentioned, the Live Guide is alive and well on the iOS app (click Guide, then click the channel name or number). I don't use Android but assume it works the same way.

When I'm sitting in front of a TV, I've gotten used to using the Hydra Mini Guide in place of the Live Guide. Up Arrow, then select the channel, then >> to page through 4-6 shows at a time on that channel. I liked the Live Guide better, but I can live with the Mini Guide. Just me, tho, YMMV.
It's fine that it's on iOS apps but I'm not gonna sit and look through my phone for shows when I'm in the living room with the TV. Live Guide or bust.

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I never even knew what the Live Guide was until Hydra! Unfortunately threads like these, which apparently are meant to "influence" TiVO Inc., really just keep TE3 people in a state of continued annoyance (as if some actually needed help).

The Dodgers have a better chance of moving back to Brooklyn than the Live Guide coming back.
Sad but true!

· Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but what does Comcast charge monthly for a cablecard, vs. what the X1 equipment fee costs you per month? And isn't there a monthly "DVR service fee" with Comcast?
It all depends on where you're located. Different regions of Comcast charge different prices. I've never been charged for cable cards even when I had more than one and get a credit of $2.50 each month for the past ten years on my bill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.