TiVo Community Forum banner

Bring Back Live Guide Option in Hydra!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
What's Search??? LOL. I only use search on the app and very rarely and only for future new series (if they are even there). I am simple. To me, the Tivo is mostly a very nice DVR. I know pretty much what I watch and they are mostly in my over 150 1P's.

And I absolutely HATE the grid...it's absurd!!!

Reactions: Fly-Boy

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
It's been a tough transition for my wife. Personally, I miss the live guide. I also miss the three channel guide while watching Live TV. I mean pretty pictures are great and all, for the TV shows. However, if it is so laggy it brings the whole system to a screaming halt...

I honestly get that it's a "Beta Test", but as it stands now this should be considered more of an Alpha test. I would immediately roll back if I didn't lose my recordings.
I do not understand why so many people were in a rush for this. Especially MEN WITH WIVES...LOL

Reactions: jmerr74 and stile99

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
Just about everything. Especially the Episode Strip. That is easily my favorite feature.
That will be the FIRST thing I turn off...if they ever put the live guide in and fix all the bugs. Gonna be months...

Reactions: Phil_C and stile99

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
I disagree with your "most agree with me" statement.

TiVo knows exactly how many use the grid and how many use the live guide. The members of TCF are not the majority of TiVo users and the majority probably never switch from the default grid guide.

And they didn't get rid of it. They looked at existing usage data and decided to not put resources behind rewriting the live guide for gen4.
How do you know if they know???

Also the reasons why they do things is that they are Lazy and don't test enough and thoroughly, and g-d knows who these beta testers are...

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
This made me laugh out loud! Sam, you are a card!
And this compliment from one of my old first critics. Love it and thanks! You know I generally do not bash people for "chiding" someone. I really only slightly bash idiots and of course Tivo, Inc.

AND he wants to report me? For what, pointing out that he is a....well IDK...LOL.

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
Management requirements to launch software into production do not include bug free, feature complete, etc, etc. Core functionality needs to be there and what that is management decides. Bugs and features are being worked on as we post.

I worked in software QA. After a major product launch, top level managers would ask how many people they could lay off -- not just in QA but in development, DBA, business analysis. I would always answer, let's see how the postmortem meeting goes, at which dozens of enhancement requests were listed and bug fix priorities were sorted out. I did not fear for my job but was concerned about the never ending enhancement requests.
Oh my, where do I start? I know much about software and Tivo, Inc from Experience. I of course know they are working on it. I was in IT Banking for service bureaus for over 25 years in many capacities, including QA+++. Mistakes cannot be made with peoples money under Federal law, which means testing, testing, and more testing. They might have gotten more beta testers IF they had a downgrade procedure that at least kept the recordings (1P's and things could then be restored via KMTTG).

I do not have an extra Host Tivo to play with, but wish I did. Would take me less than 2 hours to find all the basic bugs and things I know that are quirky to Tivo. I am a collector and have too too many recordings to backup and restore (over 1200 and you cannot restore copyrighted material to boot). And many people have reverted back until more fixes and restoring some lost functions occurs.

I am sure they will try to make it better, but we are still in theirs hands AND we own the equipment and many of us, the service too. This must be taken into consideration. But I am glad that they have Ted around to interface. Thanks Ted!

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
Let me start off with: "You made the decision to go with this new software." Maybe improve your decision making skills?
I really hate to respond to people like you...But can't you read? I am too smart to upgrade to this yet...

chicagobrownblue said:
,YOU didn't backup your recordings? 1Ps? Your bad.

Make more money.
How dare you!!! LOL.

chicagobrownblue said:
But do blame yourself for not doing backups and don't make excuses.
What the heck are you talking about???

I am going back to my tivo...as you should be doing too...

Reactions: Bville01

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
I'm very happy with 20.7.4's speedy, predictable performance and PQ (even with the buffer glitch). And I appreciate having the compact all-tuner list for switching channels and the minimal number of clicks to do anything. And the clock ... The Clock!
For me the UI is merely a delivery system that functions well and suits my needs.
Happy as a clam right now, but I'm sure I will upgrade at some future time as I did going from Win 7 to Win 10.
"Live Free, Live Strong, Live Guide"
IT Prof here. Still have W7 on my lightening speed desktop. I hate W10...LOL.

And I won't go to this now...maybe never...

Also people talking about this CLOCK. I started with tivo in 2012 and never even knew until recently that the "play" button did something other than bring the bar up and now for QM...LOL. I am going to have to look up the SPS codes!

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
My question is what are any of you Live Guide users gonna do if TiVo leaves this as is?
Until they say they are not going to support Series 4 or below (a long way off, I think), there should be a Gen3.

I do not understand this MSO thing. Didn't we pay DEARLY for our equipment and service, all to be at the mercy of the not so smart designers at Tivo, Inc?

I DO want a bigger video window and the final demise of the ridiculous audio dropout going in and out of Tivo Central (don't understand why they cannot fix this in Gen3), and of course Voice Command, but not this monstrosity Gen4 X1 look-a-like.

Just my opinion...

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
I get confused sometimes... Was Margaret the second coming of Jesus or was she a not-so-smart designer?
I had emailed her Once. When I was working with my contact in ERT (way in the past), one of the things that really ticked me off (and still does), is that when you are in a multiple recordings Folder (talking about Gen3), the position of a recording in Every folder would wind up at the top whenever you went into another recording in another folder. This is very inconvenient if you have many recordings (say the whole series of Murphy Brown and Night Court, which I have and you lose which episode you are on). I convinced her that there was a Global Pointer (only one) for the use for all folders. She took it to L2/L3 and in a few months a miracle occurred (in 20.4.6 on 02-03-2015 to be exact...I keep a log). They fixed it. Almost. They did not put a pointer in each folder in the database. Instead, I found out that they just decided to put this into Cache, SO when you reboot, ALL folders are set to position ONE again. Now anyone who has Netflix and watches a series, Knows that it Always keeps the position of what episode you are on for ALL series. So I emailed Margret to ask her why they went to the trouble to fix it and NOT make it permanent. She replied:

Hi Mr. S-------(took out my last name),

I understand that there are behaviors of our product that you are unhappy with. However, I do not expect any of the specific items you have mentioned to change in the near-term.

-Margret

and that was that. I wonder if this has been fixed the correct way in Gen4? Also I guess they still don't think the year is important for recordings...Or have they (I doubt it on both)?

Sorry, but you did mention Margret, did you not? LOL.

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
Without the Live Guide, my current TiVo models will be my last models. Sad because I was thinking of upgrading to a Bolt Vox to enjoy 4K on my TiVo. I bought TiVo originally for the DVR functionality many years ago. The Live Guide was simply icing on the cake. Never liked the grid guide- it wasn't as useful to me as the Live Guide. If I wanted a DVR with a grid guide, I can get that from Comcast's STBs.
If Comcast would get it's Trillion Dollar head out of it's A$$ and make all tuners buffer, maybe it might be a viable alternative for some. My friend has an X1 and it sucks compared to Gen3. Gen4 on the other hand is more like the X1. Not For Me! Yet...

Reactions: wtherrell

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
TED, if you see this maybe you can find out if Tivo is planning on putting the Live Guide back into Gen4. As you can see, many people either rolled back or plain refuse to go to Gen4 without it. I know Tivo, Inc loves its secrets, but I think this question needs to be answered.

THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR (will it be for Tivo Owners???)

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
It really amazes me that some people do not know what The Live Guide is. It is the opposite of the amazingly disgusting Grid Guide that was implemented when cable first came to NW Ft Laud in 1972/3, I think. You know, with the box that had 12 buttons and a 3 way switch giving us an amazing 36 channels...LOLOLOL. Of course that was the ridiculous Rolling Grid Guide!!!

Reactions: wtherrell

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
So being able to see the next 12 hours of programming on a single channel is more useful than seeing the next 3 hours of programming on 10 channels? I believe you're in a very small minority of viewers. The rest of us know that after prime time, you'll get infomercials and crap for the next 12 hours. Don't need a guide for that.
If this was directed to me, first I suggest you reply correctly with the quote.

2nd, Look at the Poll. Over 75% don't seem to really understand why Tivo, Inc would do such a STUPID thing as get rid of the Live Guide.

As far as your comments about On Demand, who really wants to use that and not be able to skip thru commercials? I got a 6 tuner Roamio Pro and I record everything. The only time I have to reluctantly go to On Demand is when there is a screwup in the Fabulous Guide Data or some disaster, lets say maybe if "someone" will break into Primetime at 9 pm this Mon and it would need a manual time extension....grrrrr (I already adjusted for the Bachelorette...LOL).

Also regarding On Demand, Tivo, Inc never addressed the Comcast Interface problem where it does not recognize 5 min skips (would not work for commercial TV anyway!).

Oops, small rant...:rolleyes::D

Reactions: aaronwt

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
It's sad that if you really LOVE the Wonderfully Developed Live Guide and you Like to Push things up to the Tivo from a PC, it is Not Good. If you "upgrade", then you have to put up with the STUPID Back Button (what genius thought of that?) and whatever ridiculous other crap and bugs. Look how long it got for TE3 to be fairly good. Not enough updates in my opinion, being it is such a "new" "experience"...LOL

But then you gain NO AUDIO delay coming in and out of TC and supposedly it is a bit snappier (not totally convinced about that on a Roamio) and Voice Command.

Now I forgot a lot of how the boxes connect together. So I know a Mini that is tied to a TE4 host must have TE4 on it. What about my XL4? That does not run TE4, right? So I would still be able to Push to it? And then be able to transfer to the Roamio if I want? But then the Mini could not play anything from the XL4, right? But the TE4 Roamio could play from the XL4? It's all so DUMB...:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D.

Wish I had a spare Tivo host to test with, but I don't...Oh well, my prediction was always Xmas 2019 for it to MAYBE get better...

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
FUD!

Please show the unlimited threads talking about TE4 bugs. I will wait.
IDK why you bothered to make this reply. Too much to answer the questions in the post?

It's been 9 days since I posted that and there is absolutely no talk about anything, anywhere about what the Tivo is meant to do. No Ted, nothing. Seems like no one cares and loves to bow down to Tivo, Inc after all the money we all have paid them.

I tell you one thing, after all these years they cannot get the Resume Point to work correctly in ALL situations in TE3. One of the Most annoying bugs Ever and it does not seem that it should be very hard to fix. Probably not fixed in TE4...

· I Am Sometimes Vocal
981 Posts
Because it is FUD. I think it is obvious. Including your assumption that your pet bug is probably not fixed. If you have no actual information on what if it is or is not, making that statement is just spreading FUD.
Pet Bug? PITA Bug is more like it. Stupid A$$ bug is much more like it after 6 years that I know of...and WTF is FUD??? But you can't tell me that it is fixed, because I can almost 100% guarentee that it is not. Not by the "great" Tivo, Inc.

Please don't reply to me anymore. You really do not help at all. You criticize people. I criticize Tivo, Inc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.