TiVo Community Forum banner

Bring Back Live Guide Option in Hydra!!

1 - 18 of 27 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I very much prefer the Grid Guide, but that's based on how I use my TiVo. However, I would never suggest my use case should determine what is best for everyone. But I've always been one to prefer more having more user preferences, while most developers avoid them whenever they can.

Curiously enough, one of my biggest pet peeves with the interface (outside of the various bugs that have been detailed elsewhere) is the predictions bar at the bottom the screen. Aside from the fact that I think it's absolutely pointless (hey, just my opinion!), the first show it always seems to suggest is "Dr. Oz," which is a show neither I nor anyone in the household ever watch or record. And despite giving it the maximum number of thumbs down, I can't seem to get rid of it. Curse you, Oz!
You don't think its a paid placement for Dr. Oz do you?, I mean they do it with products in tv shows and movies, why not with shows on TiVo Hydra?

Hail Hydra

Jack

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Tony speaks the truth...Those of you who want the live guide need to tell tivo. Why we may sympathize with you, we don't have the power to grant your request, Good luck :)
As far as Things go, Tivo Employees read this forum and yes our thoughts count quite a lot. If you want to start a Nay Sayer Thread please do it elsewhere other than here.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
They didn't take it away, they'd have to program it into Hydra. If they ran out of time and/or they knew not many people used it, then the grid guide would take top priority.

Tivo needs Hydra stable for the holiday shopping season, they're hopefully putting resources into fixing bugs than adding a live guide. Maybe after things calm down they'll add the live guide to Hydra.

The ironic part is that Hydra is supposed to replace some of the functionality of both the grid and live guides. That should mean we wouldn't be using the guide very much anyway, which in turn should mean there shouldn't be a need to support two different versions of it.
I disagree.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
If you like the old guide, then don't upgrade to Hydra. It sounds like you wouldn't use the new features anyway.

I haven't upgraded yet, because my Tivo is a backup DVR and I don't really need a fancy GUI for it. I forgot the Bolt even had a live guide option until this thread.
Obviously you don't understand the the term Disagree and you make a false assumption that I don't like Hydra. How many more false assumptions will you make? I am sure that there will be many more. And for someone to say well they removed the Live Guide for stability issues for the upcoming Christmas season well that's laughable. So go on and make your blanket False assumptions we need the laughter any way.

Hail Hydra

Jack

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I don't understand why some folks are so invested in insulting those of us who prefer Live Guide. What's the biggie? To continue having the choice, IMO, is a good thing. It was already there. Why take it away?

I wouldn't think negatively of anybody who likes the other one best. But to remove one choice is just a drag for those who prefer that choice. If they were taking away the other choice, the people who prefer that choice would not be pleased either. It's just a matter of being able to see things from the POV of others. :) No harm, no foul.
One of the things that made TiVo Better IMO was the live guide. And they gave us the choice of the standard Grid Guide and Live Guide. Having Choices is what really makes things better. There are definitely somethings that were worth saving from the standard interface, Live Guide was one of them. The layout on the Hydra could be less clunky but is that due to ignorance of the new setup or just bad programing I don't know. Either way change is upon us and we will either adapt or not. At the end of day I am very much pleased with most of the Hydra interface.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
For all the complaining you did about Hydra, I did assume you didn't like it.

Anyway, here's a post from Tivo_Ted describing why live guide is not in Hydra. I don't know if you missed this, as there are a dozen threads on Hydra and it's easy to miss one post:
No Live Guide in Hydra/gen4 UI

Sounds to me like they couldn't figure out how to get the live guide working in Hydra in the time they allotted themselves, so based on the data they had they prioritized the grid guide first. If they had time and resources, it sounds like they would have included it since "there are certain scenarios where the Live Guide is super useful" and they know it's omission is a "major issue." He also said Tivo might add live guide features into the grid guide to get the best of both worlds.

He also said, "If lack of a Live Guide is a deal breaker, you can choose to stay on the current release." That sounds familiar....
Hahah. Never did I complain about hydra. Which proves the point your just blowing false assumptions out.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
IT professional here and I like Windows 10 (Windows 8 on the other hand was great on a tablet but no so good on a full PC).

On the TiVo front though, I don't think we'll be upgrading either unless there's a driving reason or new feature to do so. Definitely PC to TiVo transfers would be the biggest issue for me right now.

Scott
Yeah the transfer issue is a bummer.. I liked to be able to transfer shows to my tivo to stream out of home to my iPad at work where I have few hours to kill every shift..

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
The new mini-guide is better than you think! It scrolls ahead for 14 days and it scrolls backwards too.
I put in a TiVo suggestion that they allow the channel up/down keys to page ahead and back and the Advance/Skip back keys to go ahead or back one day.
Currently you need to click a left or right arrow to move ahead to each day.
Well we may be a tough crowd to please, but you do make a valuable contribution with your suggestion. If and when the Powers that Be listen to any one of us, (naysayers and early adopters) is another story.
Keep it going, we are all allowed to choose what we like or do not like, you just have to like what we like is all.. ( just kidding).

Jack

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
I was never a fan of the live guide as I prefer the grid but I could see some uses for it. What I like about the new style mini/live guide is that I can get a full grid by hitting guide and get the mini version with one key press. Before I had to change the guide style and change it back. Now, we have access to both types.

The thing I don't like about the mini guide is that the icons are not all the same size. Tv shows are square while movies are narrow. With movies, you see 8 programs. With tv shows, it is 4. Somewhere in between for a mix. The old live guide did 8.

The only thing missing from the mini guide over the old live guide is the list of current programs on other channels. But that was never the big selling point for the live guide as the grid does the same.

The mini guide is not perfect. Supporting text is missing for narrow icons and sometimes the pictures are not clear enough on their own. And you have to hover on a tile for repetitive programs like MLB baseball. And it drives me nuts that it is upside down. But those are nits.

Anyway, with the new style, I find myself using it more in a week than I did in a year with the old live guide.
Fair point and well said.

1 - 18 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.