TiVo Community Forum banner

Bring Back Live Guide Option in Hydra!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
12,632 Posts
I'm surprised this many people use any guide. My house mostly watches recorded programs and uses the search functionality to find and record new shows. Paging through channels, times, etc, sounds inefficient.
Your method assumes you know what you are looking for. Looking through a guide is like looking at a restaurant menu to see what is available.

Many of us use both methods. Search when we know what we want, Guide when we are browsing for stuff.

Search limits your options.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
I'm not missing the live guide yet. Is there another way to see everything that's coming up on a certain channel over the next 24 hours, on 1 screen ?
There does not appear to be. No search by channel either.

The closest is the down arrow that gives you tiles for a single channel but that is just the next couple of shows per button push.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Which was my point. TiVo means I don't have to browse around. It records what I want, then I watch that. Search is a fast way to create a OnePass for a show I hear about.
Which means you are limited. You have to know what you want.

Let's go to a restaurant. You "know what you want" so you don't look at the menu. Your friend looks at the menu and finds something new that you wish you had known about.

Do what you want but it seems silly to assume you know everything you ever want to watch and if it is even available.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Isn't that what Suggestions are supposed to do?

And if search worked correctly, you could search using genres and find something new that way.
So you just let someone else decide for you. Based upon some suspect algorithm.

Okay. So the restaurant will just serve you what they want to.

Or just restrict you to one part of the menu.

Why would anyone want to limit themselves?

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Because the don't spend their whole life watching TV and/or find they can be happy with most any show in the categories they have come to like?

Regarding restaurants, most people I eat with are amazed how quick I pick something and don't worry about what else I might like. I tell them I like pretty much like everything so anything is fine, and I can not remember the last time I didn't enjoy a meal out and I eat out several times a week.

I really do feel sorry for those that are so picky about things that they spend most of there lives being unhappy with whatever, and/or fretting about getting it just right. While I can understand some of that for some things in life I am certainly not going to spend a whole lot of time worrying about what I watch on TV, but do plead guilty, to some extend, when it comes to movies I watch in the theater.
Okay. That is a load of nonsense. Who says anyone is being picky or is spending a ton of time? Don't make it out to be the Mideast Peace Accords. But to assume you know what you want to watch means you have no idea what you want to watch if you go in with only a pre-mindset, which strictly using search is. Even if you know that you like Show XYZ, how do you know to search for it on any given day. Say it is syndicated or you want to catch up on reruns. Do you search for every show you ever wanted to see or do you glance through a guide and say "Hey, channel JKL is rerunning XYZ! I haven't seen that in years!"

· Registered
12,632 Posts
As you already know, the poll is mainly going to be answered by those who miss the live guide. And important or not, a few thousand "power" users in TCF can't offset the stats of a couple millions user data points from all users that TiVo can see.

I hope they add it back as an option, but too many here are acting like TiVo made this choice capriciously and some act like TiVo did it to personally slight them directly.
It's a religion. Don't bash your head in trying to make any sense of it.

A cult related to the one who said it was wrong to put a disk usage percentage on a DVR.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Or it means I don't care that much and find any number of shows as acceptable as others and have no need for a huge selection of choices. But remember I was responding to your post that said:

"So you just let someone else decide for you. Based upon some suspect algorithm.

Okay. So the restaurant will just serve you what they want to.

Or just restrict you to one part of the menu.

Why would anyone want to limit themselves?"

With the primary focus being the last line that I highlighted above, with my response being:
"Because the don't spend their whole life watching TV and/or find they can be happy with most any show in the categories they have come to like?"
If that doesn't make sense to you fine, but it is not a "load of nonsense", it is just a different view on the importance of what one watches.

I do neither, I setup season passes the few times a year the OTA Networks start new seasons via looking through the live guide at those times and then just watch something out of my recordings. That gives me more choices than I need or really want, with the most likely result being I just watch what ever is at the top my list.
Still nonsense. You made spending a minute or two looking to see what might be interesting into "spending their whole life." That is the nonsense. Anything you buy or select, you pick from what is available. Otherwise, you wind up brushing your teeth with shaving cream. But if you take that second to pick what you want from the array on your bathroom shelf, you are NOT "spending your whole life." The nonsense is that you took a small item and made it sound like it is the entire world.

So, you just make up your mind what you want to watch once a year? Good for you. You are still limiting your choices. Things change. They add stuff that you may not know about. Don't say you don't care what you watch. You are obviously spending time to set it up. What you are also doing is locking yourself in.

THAT is limiting yourself. And that is also nonsense. Because if you don't ever look, you don't actually know if you are watching what you want to see. You are only watching what you thought you wanted to see at one time and convincing yourself you are seeing all you ever want to see.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Just for amusement I will tell you a story about my mother, she decided to start getting DVDs/Blu-rays from the library, I asked her how she was picking the movies - she said I just started at the top - meaning the top shelf, she is going through movies in order - She does not care what movie she watches - when she goes back to the library she just picks the next one - because it doesn't matter to her that much what it is.
Good story. Must be genetic. :)

Peace.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
The deal for me usually goes something like this:
"There's this show on Fox I wanted to watch and I forget what it's called, but I'll remember when I see it."

So you can pull up Fox and then just scroll down quickly through days of show info until you find it. If you don't know the name of the show you are looking for, this was the easiest way to browse a station's worth of upcoming shows.

Same for discovering movies, you could scroll through days worth of movies showing on Starz and set a bunch of them to record. It would take forever to do that in the grid guide.
You do know you can scroll to the right on the grid guide, correct?

As for movies, I don't think so. You have to do each channel (even if the same family like Starz!) to view the stuff. Set the grid so it shows 10 movie channels and you just zip through, seeing them all at once. I have five HD Starz! channels. If you only have one channel to look at, sure. But when you have to look at several, the Live Guide is actually slower.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Yes you can scroll right but it takes forever to go through 24 hours of shows, let alone a couple of days. To most Live Guide fans, we would rather go channel by channel (even if it means going through quite a few channels) to see what's on. Every night I sit down to watch TV, I pull up the Live Guide and go out until the end of the guide (about 2 weeks) and see what's on prime time on the channels I watch most and look for any new shows or specials. On Mondays we receive the new listings which takes it out 2 Saturdays ahead--at that point I scan through all of my premiums for that weekend as new movies usually premiere on Fridays or Saturdays and I may catch something I don't have a wish list set up for. Trying to do that with Hydra was brutal.
Do it your way but it does NOT take forever to scroll through the grid guide. You are just perpetuating the idea that you would rather do it the way you are used to than be efficient: "To most Live Guide fans, we would rather go channel by channel (even if it means going through quite a few channels)"

I have done exactly what you are saying with grid guides for years on a variety of systems. And if I see a movie I want to record that is on HBO and HBO West, with the grid guide, I can pick the showing I want so that it does not interfere with my viewing. Say a 1 am showing rather than a 10 pm. All on the same screen.

I love the rationalizations. Just like a religion. Reminds me of all the rationalizations on why Tivo should never have a disk space used indicator. Just as tortuous.

But I hope you get what you want so you can move forward. Good luck!

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Its your opinion that the Grid Guide is more efficient for what I want to do, I disagree and think its inefficient.
Efficiency can be measured. And you have to remove proficiency from the equation when you do.

I agree that if you have ONE movie channel you want to look at the Live Guide is probably more efficient but when you throw in multiples, there is no way it is. Especially if you want to adjust recording times like I gave the example.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Let's look at how many clicks it would take:

Notice that I see 8 movies all at once, and a single "Page Down" command shows me the next 8 programs. So about 16 programs in 1 click.

The grid guide for this would only be showing 1 movie, and half of another. You'd have to right-click 16 times to see as many. There's no way seeing 1 and a half movies at a time is more efficient than a whole page or 8 at once. I'd be clicking forever to go through all the guide data.
And if you do that for the 10 channels that the grid guide shows, you do it 10 times.

The live guide sycophants look at one tiny use case and say it proved it. It doesn't.

Right now I am looking at my movie channels and see 21 movies in one look. They are all HBO so I can pick what I want when I want it. I paged through by 2 hours and smallest I saw at one time was 17.

Stop using a single channel only. This is not the 1960s.

Still amazed at the twists and gyrations live guide users will go through to justify the choice.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
Those of you who want the live guide need to tell tivo that you aren’t transitioning because of it. (That and transfers seem to be the real showstoppers for some.) I’d bet tivo wants people to move and a block that isn’t can leverage that.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
As far as Things go, Tivo Employees read this forum and yes our thoughts count quite a lot. If you want to start a Nay Sayer Thread please do it elsewhere other than here.
That was looking less and less true until Ted reappeared for hydra. It looked like we were abandoned.

ETA: Oh. And I meant it that everyone who will not upgrade say why HERE as well as anywhere else they can.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
One of the things that made TiVo Better IMO was the live guide. And they gave us the choice of the standard Grid Guide and Live Guide. Having Choices is what really makes things better. There are definitely somethings that were worth saving from the standard interface, Live Guide was one of them. The layout on the Hydra could be less clunky but is that due to ignorance of the new setup or just bad programing I don't know. Either way change is upon us and we will either adapt or not. At the end of day I am very much pleased with most of the Hydra interface.
Totally agree. If hydra is a success or not will depend on how they adjust, refine and enhance going forward.

There should be an update soon for some of the obvious bugs and decisions that didn't go over well. But I expect more of them to be things like tile sizes and text on them. I'd assume Live guide and others depend on if they were already working on them as they seem more complex to implement/port.

· Registered
12,632 Posts
I would be equally happy if they didn't add the "Live Guide" back, and instead just built an easy, powerful way to browse Guide Data with a whole bunch of filters that could be combined and stacked:
- Recordings only (ignore streaming): just to show me things I'd want to set up to record
- By channel
- By time
- By genre
- By type (movie/tv/sports)
etc.

The biggest thing is to make it easy for users to look through what's coming up on the stations they get and set up recordings for them. I don't necessarily care if it's a separate function or it's baked into the "Guide". They could probably make it even more useful if it were done properly and it wasn't tied in with the current guide. Maybe an "Explore this channel" menu item from the current guide that opens this "Guide Data Explorer".
And search by channel may be back quicker as it seems simpler to code. But that is from the outside.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.