TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
For example, my 4-year old aging PowerBook has only a 867 MHz processor (and it's still pretty speedy for most things) but it takes it about 20 minutes to transcode 3 minutes of MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, and that's SD MPEG-4. A sub-100 MHz proc would probably take a couple hours to transcode that much HD video. Real-time is completely out of the question without a dedicated chipset, and Tivo would never even go there if there were the slightest delay in playback.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
Ereth said:
Well, the more important point is that the HR10-250 isn't capable of receiving the stream from the new satellites, because it can't see the Ka/Ku bands that they use.

So even if you WERE willing to wait 2 days for it to transcode an episode of your favorite show, it couldn't receive it off the satellite in the first place.
Is that really the important point? I'm going to vote not, seeing as how Ka is just the frequency band, and frequencies are very easily converted.

Theoretically, you could connect a HR10 to a properly-aimed SlimLine and with the simple addition of a $20 converter, get the LNBF output back to L-band, which the HR10 definitely sees. Assuming the HR10 had the decoding capability (which IS the important point) and the guide mapping was done, the modulation is still DVB, so it would be very simple to make a HR10 (with M4 decoding) work on the new HD channels.

Getting the signal into the box at the proper frequency, demodulating it to M4, and writing it to/reading it from the HDD is the easy part. But you just won't find M4 decoding inside the HR10, so I think that might actually be the important point.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
wolflord11 said:
Why can people just not realise that the HR10's are nearing the end of their useful life as a HD unit.

Technology moves on..... its about time the HR10's are put to retirement. Yes I know I am going to be cast into the pits of damnation for saying it, but its the truth!
I hardly think anyone here is in denial of the shelf life of the HR10. But that doesn't mean they can't be useful for another few years, at least as a OTA recorder. If DTV doesn't boat-anchor them when the Tivo agreement runs out, I'll bet many will provide reliable OTA recording long after the HR20 is replaced with whatever POS DTV dreams up next. THAT, is actually the truth.

Three years is a lifetime for most PVRs. Are there a lot of 3-year-old PVRs out there other than the HR10? Not really. Most have either failed or become obsoleted by better models. The HR10 is good enough to find ways to keep it running, especially since there is no practical upgrade path that is either as good or as reliable.

The fact that folks question whether the HR10 can be made to do what it wasn't ever designed for is a testament to how good it really is, and to those owners' desperation at not seeing a viable alternative. It's not that we don't see the handwriting on the wall. Don't mistake desperation for the inability to grasp reality.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
Here's an interesting example of how long conversion to M4 takes. In this case, we're talking SD-resolution DV using an external hardware chipset. Notice that even with the work offloaded to a dedicated chip, it still takes over 11 minutes to convert a 10-minute SD clip on a fast Mac. IOW, not capable of real time. You can see how impractical real-time HD would be. Maybe in a year or two.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvturbo&newlang=en

Cool device, tho :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.