TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm going through the same hand wringing that many of you are.

I LOVE my TiVo and my HR10, but it seems our hands are really being forced. I guess that I have to now consider the HR20 in order to get the new HD content that is coming. Not at all interested in cable.

Ok, so my question - I share a dish with another homeowner in my building. If I switch to an MPEG4 compatible dish, will the guy that I share the dish with - who has MPEG2 equipment, lose his signal?

Also, seperate question - does the HR20 have OTA? If not, is it wired for it and going to be an upcoming feature?

- Thanx
- Jon

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
Sure, it'll work.

But my advice? I would graciously disconnect from and "donate" to the other homeowner sole ownership of the existing dish and install the 5-lnb for yourself. Even if replacing it for both owners goes perfectly, the first little problem he ever has will become your problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TyroneShoes said:
Sure, it'll work.

But my advice? I would graciously disconnect from and "donate" to the other homeowner sole ownership of the existing dish and install the 5-lnb for yourself. Even if replacing it for both owners goes perfectly, the first little problem he ever has will become your problem.
Hm. I have a 4 LNB dish up there now, has been there for about 4.5 years, we spent about $400 to have it done "right" - with a non penetrating mount and all, and haven't had any problems... I hear what you are saying, but my experience has been pretty good so far...

- Jon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so what's a better deal, to swap my HR10 for an HR20 with DirecTV or sell the HR10 myself and buy an HR20 from DTV?

- Jon

·
TechKnow Guide
12,027 Posts
DirecTV will most likely let you keep your HR10-250 if you upgrade ("swap") for an HR20 HD DVR. Many of us use both.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
litzdog911 said:
DirecTV will most likely let you keep your HR10-250 if you upgrade ("swap") for an HR20 HD DVR. Many of us use both.
Yeah, just finishing on the phone with DTV.

They gave me the the HR20, dish, installation, & 6 months of SHO all for free. No swap.

Thanks all!

- Jon

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
jbauer said:
Hm. I have a 4 LNB dish up there now, has been there for about 4.5 years, we spent about $400 to have it done "right" - with a non penetrating mount and all, and haven't had any problems... I hear what you are saying, but my experience has been pretty good so far...

- Jon
4 LNB dish? Never heard of such a beast. Maybe you're referring to the 4 outputs from the dish.

You'll have to see if the larger masted 5LNB dish can be mounted on the non-penetrating mount.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JimSpence said:
4 LNB dish? Never heard of such a beast. Maybe you're referring to the 4 outputs from the dish.

You'll have to see if the larger masted 5LNB dish can be mounted on the non-penetrating mount.
Oops. Yeah, that's what I meant. Yeah, I hope the new dish will fit. I'll look into that.

- Thanx
- Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts