TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Advanced Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been about 2 weeks now that my 3rd replacement unit is having some major problems. Symptoms include (when it acts up) - delayed response from remote up to 1-2 minutes, frozen broken pixelated pictures (on HD and and SD channels), and just tonight when watching American Idol OTA-HD total freeze that took 2 minutes to restore.

Temp on the unit varies between 42-44C. Tried unplugging for 5 minutes and all is fine for a few days.

Does this indicate a hard drive ready to die? Should I replace with a new HD from Weakness? Suggestions welcomed.

·
King of the North
8,667 Posts
whsbuss said:
Its been about 2 weeks now that my 3rd replacement unit is having some major problems. Symptoms include (when it acts up) - delayed response from remote up to 1-2 minutes, frozen broken pixelated pictures (on HD and and SD channels), and just tonight when watching American Idol OTA-HD total freeze that took 2 minutes to restore.

Temp on the unit varies between 42-44C. Tried unplugging for 5 minutes and all is fine for a few days.

Does this indicate a hard drive ready to die? Should I replace with a new HD from Weakness? Suggestions welcomed.
Buy a hard drive and replace it yourself. Less $$$

·
Advanced Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Albertsanchez said:
Whsbuss,

Weaknees replaced my HR10-250 (115 HD Hours) and strongly suggested that I use an UPS. Clean power is really important.

I've had absolutely no problems since I plugged all of my components into a Belkin F6C750-AVR.

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
Thanks for the tip. I've had an UPS on all my units since the first in June 2004.

·
Advanced Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finnstang said:
Make a backup image of your current drive.

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/
I sure could do that. But a Maxtor HD (7200) is about 135.00 at CompUSA after rebate. Weakness has free shipping. So with tax I would only save $45 - not worth the effort to configure my PC for the copy.

I can always redo the SP's and watch what's already recorded before change out the HD. I'm going to call DTV 2nd tier support tomorrow and see if they will swap me another replacement unit first.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
Hooray for the UPS!

I had just plugged my month-old HD TiVo into a UPS tonight, and 15 minutes later the power went out. Talk about perfect timing!

·
Tivo-dependent
177 Posts
whsbuss said:
DirecTV is sending me another replacement unit. No questions asked.
My first HD-Tivo was an early one, from May 2004. Last month, the drive started to crap out with pixelation and freeze-ups. D* replaced it for free, which surprised me.

However, after two weeks, the refurb replacement began spontaneously rebooting. D* has another replacement on the way. My guess is the broken units come in one door, and go out another, without repair.

This could be the beginning of an endless cycle. I'll probably replace the drive myself if the new refurb is twitchy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.