TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

HR10-250 Question (with one coax)

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  esaleem 
#1 ·
How does the dvr work with only one coax?

If you want to record Jim Rome is Burning, does the TV display that show or can you watch something else?

Can you still pause live TV?

I tried to run another RG6 to the location where my TV is now, but I can't get there. My ceiling is vaulted and I cannot fit all the way back to where I need to be in order to run the second cable. My wife is not into the drill a hole through the wall thing, so that is out.

Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 ·
With one coax you can only record or watch one live show at a time. You can watch a previously recorded show while the machine is recording a live show, but you can't watch two live shows at once or watch one live show while another live show is being recorded. Think of it as one coax per "stream" of incoming video.

Buffering / "pause" works fine.

Keep in mind that with one satellite coax you can only record one show at a time, period. When I originally installed my HR10-250, I ran one satellite coax and one antenna coax (for local digital tv shows picked up from my outdoor antenna). I thought I could record a satellite show and an antenna show at the same time, or at least watch one live satellite show and record an antenna show at the same time. This is not the case! Due to a bug/limitation, you have to have two satellite coax runs in order to record or watch two live shows at once, even if one is from the antenna.

Long story short, you really *really* ought to have three coax running to your box. Two from the satellite and one from the outdoor antenna for over-the-air local digital stations. If you can't do it, call around and find someone who can. Some of the more experienced home theater or house alarm installers can perform magic when it comes to fishing wires through the walls. They have long flexible drill bits, special metal fishing tape, you name it, they got it.

#5 ·
My OTA goes to my multiswitch and I have only 2 cables going to my H10-250 with full functionality.

But really, do whatever it takes to get that second cable there. It is well worth it. It isn't *that* hard to patch up holes in dry wall. It took me 3 tries to get the look right. Just a little practice.

#6 ·
I went ahead and punched a hole in the wall from outside. Oh well. It is worth it. The HD is pretty unreal, I cannot wait until the hr20-250 comes out. I want to have the networks in HD. I cannot get HD OTA where I live.

Anyone who has the HR10-250...how is the reliability? I am trying to decide if I need to buy the protection plan from D*.

#11 ·
Two questions for anyone whom mught know the answer. Just moved to Ga with my 2 tuner TIVO. In NC I had a round dish with 2 LNB cables going to the house, but with one cable to the TIVO, and one to a regular DirecTV box in the bedroom. We had an IR device sitting on the TV in the kitchen, which would remotely change the DirecTV channel in the bedroom, which changed the channel for the kitchen TV as well. One cable went from the wall to the kitchen TV, one from the bedroom wall to the Bedroom directv box, and one from the living room wall to the TIVO in the living room.
I could record 2 channels at once on the TIVO, or watch one while recording another.
I could watch the same channel in the Bedroom as in the kitchen off the same direcTV cable box in the Bedroom.
The (cable) guy says they can't do that in Georgia, even though I have the same round 2 lnb dish.he wont run a cable, he won't wire up our TV in the Bedroom to work with the kitchen, What am I missing? How'd they do that? How can I do this myself>???
Thanks!

#12 ·
I don't know how you were able to record two shows with the tivo only having one line in. to utilize two tuners on the tivo, it must have two cables comming in from the sat or diplixer. as for the kitchen/bedroom setup. you must have had a coax line running out of the d* reciever to the tv in the kitchen. he might not be willing to run it that way, because you would be getting around having an extra reciever.
upgrade your dish so you can run 2 lnbs out to the tivo, one to the bedroom, and then run a coax cable from the "coax out" of your bedroom's reciever to the ant in of the kitchen tv. then use the same ir extender to change the channels of the bedroom reciever in the kitchen.
hope this make sense and helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.