TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

HR10-250 Question (with one coax)

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  esaleem 
The HR10 was fairly expensive, so you might want to invest in that protection plan.

However, if/when it does die, you might be able to call up DirecTV customer retention to complain/bargain for an HR20.

It's a bummer, but it gave me a good excuse to rewire my house with fresh coax and cat5e everywhere! And a great excuse to finally buy that monster rackmount PicoMacom 5x16 multiswitch!! :)

With one coax you can only record or watch one live show at a time. You can watch a previously recorded show while the machine is recording a live show, but you can't watch two live shows at once or watch one live show while another live show is being recorded. Think of it as one coax per "stream" of incoming video.

Buffering / "pause" works fine.

Keep in mind that with one satellite coax you can only record one show at a time, period. When I originally installed my HR10-250, I ran one satellite coax and one antenna coax (for local digital tv shows picked up from my outdoor antenna). I thought I could record a satellite show and an antenna show at the same time, or at least watch one live satellite show and record an antenna show at the same time. This is not the case! Due to a bug/limitation, you have to have two satellite coax runs in order to record or watch two live shows at once, even if one is from the antenna.

Long story short, you really *really* ought to have three coax running to your box. Two from the satellite and one from the outdoor antenna for over-the-air local digital stations. If you can't do it, call around and find someone who can. Some of the more experienced home theater or house alarm installers can perform magic when it comes to fishing wires through the walls. They have long flexible drill bits, special metal fishing tape, you name it, they got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.