TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DirecTV Addict
430 Posts
Guindalf said:
It's probably going to be another 2 years or so (but don't quote me) before you get the MPEG4 locals, so you'll at least get that out of the HD DVR.
Quoting you. You're grossly misinformed.
If he's in Market #35, he should have MPEG4 locals before July.

Regardless, I love the HR10-250. I'd buy one now, and consider upgrading when offered.

H

·
DirecTV Addict
430 Posts
ljsss said:
Having said all of that, I have just about decided to get the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA. I want to make sure that I get a HR10-250 before D* quits selling them. Don't I have at least three or four months before they quit selling them?

Also, I am assuming that if I buy the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA, then I will be set indefinitely (in other words, that set-up should last me until I decide to upgrade). MPEG-4 should have no effect on me. Is this correct?
Correct on both points.
The HR20-250 will not be out until at least April 1 and the HR10-250 should continue to happily record SD DirecTV and OTA HD for years to come.

(That is to say, D* tends to merely deprecate hardware, rather than forcibly turn off, and then migrate people to the new stuff as hardware fails. All the owners of UltimateTV units can attest to that.)

H

·
DirecTV Addict
430 Posts
Guindalf said:
Yes, but how long before they get to swap out for the HD DVRs? I read a statement saying it would take AT LEAST two years to swap them all out! (now where's that smiley blowing a raspberry?) :D
When the last market won't be up until late 2007.. and they won't swap you until your market is live with MPEG4.. hrm...

The swap will begin relatively soon after the HR20 is available. I promise you that.

H

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.