TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I'm sure this has been answered, but I'm not sure what terminology to use on my searches, so I haven't been able to find too much... If you just repoint me to a few existing threads, I'll be happy.

I lived in the Chicago area, got everything (locals, HD, etc...). Life was good.
I called DirecTV and told them I was moving to central PA in a few weeks. The next morning, my HR10-250 was receiving all local channels for the central PA area instead of Chicago. A quick call to DirecTV got that corrected... but proved that I could get locals in PA... at least as long as I stayed in Chicago.

After moving, they gave me a new DirecTV receiver (non-TiVo), told me my HR10-250 wouldn't pick up all the channels, and explained I was just out of luck. I've since hooked up my DirecTivo (Since they never deactivated it), and found that they seem to be somewhat correct. I don't receive *any* channels between 2 and 70 (the locals). So my question is - why? I know my receiver was capable of receiving them when I was in Illinois... why not when I'm in PA? Is it that they changed my service when they gave me the new receiver, the fact that my HR10-250 doesn't "play nice" when plugged into the same multi-switch as the new receiver, or the fact that my satellite setup is different?

My old dish was a triple LNB. The new setup is 2 dishes - one small round one, and one larger oval. (It looks like a small single-LNB and a normal tripple-LNB, but I'm not positive) The installer told me the small one was for the locals.

Am I just out of luck, or is there any hope for me?

·
Dumb Blond
47,130 Posts
They would have to authorize your receiver for the locals in PA. You should be able to get standard-def locals. Do you get a message on your screen telling you to call DirecTV and an extension? Do that from your home phone while the HR10 is connected and powered. That may do the trick.

However, if they gave you an HR20 then they may authorize the "HD" locals and not the SD (since why would you need them?). But if your HR10 is still active on your account, they should activate locals for it if you're paying for locals.

The dish they installed is one that gets the additional satellites for MPEG4 channels. It will work fine with the HR10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stevel... I wasn't getting an error message - just "Channel not available".On your advice, I gave them a call though, and sure enough - within minutes I had my locals back! Life is good... Except for the part where the technician on the phone told me that not only would I not be receiving the new HD channels (I could live with that), but they're actually taking the existing HD channels and moving them to the new band too - meaning that the HD channels I get today with the Tivo unit won't be around for much longer. :( He says the switch will happen in Fall 2007.

Is there no other path here? I was one of the 1st owners of the HD10-250, so I paid almost $1000 for the thing (and own rather than rent)... What's everyone else doing with theirs?

·
Dumb Blond
47,130 Posts
Well, "channel not available" is the error message.

There are differing stories as to when DirecTV will shut off the MPEG2 transponders. DirecTV CSRs are telling people it will be sometime in 2007, but this seems very unlikely as it means that they'd have to first replace hundreds of thousands of existing receivers (not just TiVos.)

I didn't pay as much for my HR10 as you did, though I still own it. However, I can see which way the wind is blowing and I placed my order yesterday for an HR20. I will run them in parallel for a while.

I know that others are holding off as long as they can. I have "hacked" my HR10 and will miss the added features, but...

·
Done.
3,105 Posts
HDFreak said:
Except for the part where the technician on the phone told me that not only would I not be receiving the new HD channels (I could live with that), but they're actually taking the existing HD channels and moving them to the new band too - meaning that the HD channels I get today with the Tivo unit won't be around for much longer. :( He says the switch will happen in Fall 2007.
What he said is true. Timing...not so much. New HD will start appearing in September but the current HD your HR10 can get should still be there for another year or so.
HR10 still will function as a fantastic OTA HD and SD from the sat receiver. No need to deactivate it unless you want to save the $5 a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.