TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone..

I just bought a new HR10-250 and it came with the 3.1xxx software, and i was wondering if it was capable of upgrading to 6.2. I called in about 3 times today and i only got one software update but it was still 3.1xxx or something. I noticed that this unit so MUCH slower than my DSR-7000 with the 6.2 software but that tivo was slowish as well with the older software. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait it out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
D* is coming out with their own house brand HD DVR (like they did with the R-15), so there will be no more Tivo based DirecTV DVRs, although the service will continue to exist for a long time.

The HR10-250 will not get the 6.2 software. So what you see is what you get. I just ordered the HR10-250 myself knowing full well that this was going to be the case.

When D* comes out with the replacement for the HR10-250, they are claiming that the HR10-250s will be replaced at little or no cost to the customer. The way I figure, we'll have the HR10-250 operational for at least a year or probably longer before we go for the replacement. I would really like the replacement models to be fairly well debugged before I switch.

RB
 

·
Astute User
Joined
·
17,877 Posts
It is capable of upgrades, sure, but who is to say they will send one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
6.2 for the HR10-250 is rumored to be in beta test. Who knows when (if) it will be released.

If anyone from DirecTV is reading this, let me know if you need another tester. :)
 

·
Got TV?
Joined
·
190 Posts
roberb said:
D* is coming out with their own house brand HD DVR (like they did with the R-15), so there will be no more Tivo based DirecTV DVRs, although the service will continue to exist for a long time.

The HR10-250 will not get the 6.2 software. So what you see is what you get. I just ordered the HR10-250 myself knowing full well that this was going to be the case.

When D* comes out with the replacement for the HR10-250, they are claiming that the HR10-250s will be replaced at little or no cost to the customer. The way I figure, we'll have the HR10-250 operational for at least a year or probably longer before we go for the replacement. I would really like the replacement models to be fairly well debugged before I switch.

RB
Ditto on this and I've been trying to force an upgrade to the latest 3.x version but have been having problems staying connected even though I'm using the same number my R-10 uses to connect.

I'll have to let this puppy run for at least a year otherwise the wife will be quite upset, even though she's already been warned about the agreement cancellation between D* and Tivo. $399 is still $399, and that's still a lot of money. She's still upset about the Harmony 880 purchase. Love that remote!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,925 Posts
roberb said:
D* is coming out with their own house brand HD DVR (like they did with the R-15), so there will be no more Tivo based DirecTV DVRs, although the service will continue to exist for a long time.

The HR10-250 will not get the 6.2 software. So what you see is what you get. I just ordered the HR10-250 myself knowing full well that this was going to be the case.

When D* comes out with the replacement for the HR10-250, they are claiming that the HR10-250s will be replaced at little or no cost to the customer. The way I figure, we'll have the HR10-250 operational for at least a year or probably longer before we go for the replacement. I would really like the replacement models to be fairly well debugged before I switch.

RB
Do you have an official source that DirecTV won't roll out 6.2? Or are you just speculating? (You state as if this is fact...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
When they rolled out the 6.2 upgrade to the SD DVRs, they specifically said on their web site that the older (Series 1?) DVRs and the HR10-250 wouldn't be getting the upgrade.
Couple that with the fact that they are coming out with the house brand DVR, I wouldn't expect there to be a 6.2 upgrade to the HR10-250. On the other hand, if they indeed have a 6.2 in beta and their house brand HD DVR is delayed as was the R-15 , then they might decide to release the rumoured beta, but I am not holding my breath for it.

Also, when I ordered my HR10-250 the other day, the tech confirmed my suspicion - unofficially, of course.

So, you might call it an educated guess if you will.

RB
 

·
MPEG Packet Picker
Joined
·
396 Posts
roberb said:
When they rolled out the 6.2 upgrade to the SD DVRs, they specifically said on their web site that the older (Series 1?) DVRs and the HR10-250 wouldn't be getting the upgrade.
You should really put that statement in context...

http://directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html

Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?

No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at this time.

Never say never, Mr. Bond..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Thanks for finding the upgrade landing page on the DirecTV site. I also think that there is a big difference between "won't be getting the upgrade at this time" and "will receive the upgrade in the future", no?

I am just saying that it would be a really pleasant surprise if we got the 6.2 upgrade on the HR10-250, but am not holding my breath. Look, I ordered one of these things myself, and I'd love to have the speed and the folders.

RB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
roberb said:
Thanks for finding the upgrade landing page on the DirecTV site. I also think that there is a big difference between "won't be getting the upgrade at this time" and "will receive the upgrade in the future", no?

I am just saying that it would be a really pleasant surprise if we got the 6.2 upgrade on the HR10-250, but am not holding my breath. Look, I ordered one of these things myself, and I'd love to have the speed and the folders.

RB
Just like the USB ports and the window button... "in the future" :D

I remember that after they stopped offering Ultimate TV they came out with one more upgrade for it, so you never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Unless there's a big movement of subs closing down their 250s and the new one is going to be significantly delayed, they're not going to talk nice with TiVo for help with the upgrade, nor will they spend the internal resources to ensure it works--even if there's a beta out there somewhere. Not when they need all hands on deck to get the new NDS boxes out.

What they COULD do, barring any licensing issues, and the like is to Open Source their beta 6.2. Some of the people here and the other boards are quite good with linux and may understand how this stuff works better than the D* programmers! Then we'd get what we needed--provided the processor and memory could handle the extra load that 6.2 puts out, along with the HD recordings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I bought a new upgraded r-10 from weaknees nov 5 2005. I forgot to look at what software it had till I saw your post. It has 6.1 and I have forced 3 phone calls the first week so I do not know when it got the upgrade. Mabey from weakness?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,925 Posts
69800 said:
I bought a new upgraded r-10 from weaknees nov 5 2005. I forgot to look at what software it had till I saw your post. It has 6.1 and I have forced 3 phone calls the first week so I do not know when it got the upgrade. Mabey from weakness?
It is the same as 6.2.

6.1 is specific to the R10.

6.2 is specific to the other series 2 DirecTiVo's.

Only way to get 6.2 on your R10 is SERIOUS modifications.
 

·
Just a boring dude
Joined
·
32,054 Posts
and since they are functionally identical there's no reason to do it.
 

·
Registered Offender
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
StEvEY5036 said:
then how would you go about loading the 6.1 software on the r10?
The R10 comes with it -- in fact, AFAIK there is no other version of software that works on the R10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The R10 comes with 3.1.1e software (atleast mine did..) and i havent been able to force a 6.1 upgrade. All ive been able to upgrade to is to 3.1.1f.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top