TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment, and my neighbors think it's okay to pair their devices to our Tivo and stream inappropriate things. Having minors around, I would not want them seeing. How do I stop people from pairing to the TV? Is there a setting to control this?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I live in an apartment, and my neighbors think it's okay to pair their devices to our Tivo and stream inappropriate things. Having minors around, I would not want them seeing. How do I stop people from pairing to the TV? Is there a setting to control this?
If you are talking about the TiVo Stream 4K device, if you go to settings> Device Preferences> Chromecast built-In> Let Others Control Your Cast Media> Notification settings. You could try "Never" where the default is "While Casting".

·
Registered
328 Posts
If not streaming: I remember when I installed my TIVO there was device I was supposed to connect to the cable that went from my apartment to the central connection in the building - specifically designed to prevent shows going back from my to the central apartment connection. it looked like a cable splitter but of course I can't remember its exact name. Was in the TIVO installation instructions

·
wait.. I did what?
15,118 Posts
If not streaming: I remember when I installed my TIVO there was device I was supposed to connect to the cable that went from my apartment to the central connection in the building - specifically designed to prevent shows going back from my to the central apartment connection. it looked like a cable splitter but of course I can't remember its exact name. Was in the TIVO installation instructions
That's a POE filter and it's for data leakage, it's not applicable to this topic.
The Tivo Stream 4K is a streaming device, not a DVR and not connected to cable TV. The OP doesn't specifically say they're using that, but the subject is more a streaming stick topic vs a DVR, the hazard of a vague post with very few details.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That's a POE filter and it's for data leakage, it's not applicable to this topic.
The Tivo Stream 4K is a streaming device, not a DVR and not connected to cable TV. The OP doesn't specifically say they're using that, but the subject is more a streaming stick topic vs a DVR, the hazard of a vague post with very few details.
I'm thinking the neighbor might be connected to the OP's WIFI, which would allow them to do this. If that is the case, the OP should change their WIFI router password (or add one.)

·
L: 37-35
13,307 Posts
Wonder if the OP is talking about the original TiVo Stream (that connects to a DVR).

·
wait.. I did what?
15,118 Posts
Wonder if the OP is talking about the original TiVo Stream (that connects to a DVR).
I really doubt that since it doesn't work at all that way.
However without more info we're just throwing pasta against the wall.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
12,915 Posts
Assuming it’s a TiVo DVR, they’re casting. For that, they need to be on your network. For that, they need to know your password.

Solution: change your Wi-Fi password.
If you don’t currently have one, it’s 2022; set one up pronto.

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
I agree with the on the same wifi comments. I wonder if they may have the same model TV as you and are constantly complaining that they can't get streaming to work. May be go into you TV settings and change the name. Maybe that will be enough to switch on some lightbulbs for the neighbor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really doubt that since it doesn't work at all that way.
However without more info we're just throwing pasta against the wall.
I’m Italian. I LOVE throwing pasta against the wall!
It’s how I tell if it’s ready to eat or not! 😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts