TiVo Community Forum banner
721 - 735 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so I tried many times using the procedures noted to roll back a Bolt VOX from T4 to T3.
It looked like it was going to work and then I just kept getting an error message suggesting it was my network?
I'm pretty sure it's fine!

And I see conflicting ideas here about the rollback ability on Bolt+/VOX ?

Am I stuck?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Ok, so I tried many times using the procedures noted to roll back a Bolt VOX from T4 to T3.
It looked like it was going to work and then I just kept getting an error message suggesting it was my network?
I'm pretty sure it's fine!

And I see conflicting ideas here about the rollback ability on Bolt+/VOX ?

Am I stuck?
I can tell you this, I have a TiVo Bolt Vox 500 GB Model# TCD849500V which came with TE4 from TiVo and I easily downgraded to TE3. The only Bolt that can not be downgraded is the Over The Air Model Model# TCD849500. https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Service-Number-and-Model-Number-Table

That said, These instructions say that you need to hit the thumbs down 2 times, but I think it was 3 times for me.

1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

And this:

Its actually (at least on the Bolt I just got) Help -> Reset To Defaults -> Restart Guided Tour
(the the rest is correct)

Otherwise, if you really want to go there, you could try a factory reset and try again once you are back up and running, but you will lose your cableCARD pairing if you do that, so forewarned!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
And this: How to uninstall Hydra from Bolt

I just got off the phone with TiVo support, there is a hidden downgrade option in the help menus Here are the instructions they just emailed me.

"To downgrade a DVR from TiVo Experience 4 to TiVo Experience 3:
From HOME, Choose MENU > HELP > RESET TO DEFAULTS > REPEAT GUIDED SETUP
Repeat Guided Setup screen where the customer will need to enter the backdoor code.
From the Repeat Guided Setup screen, enter the following Backdoor Code:
Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Rewind, Rewind on the remote control to display the Downgrade Your TiVo Box
screen.
Tip: If the backdoor code does not initiate the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen, [Restart or Power cycle the DVR].

2. After entering the code, the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen appears."

I am not responsible for any loss of data. As I understand this wipes all data & recordings...

Good Luck
Shalamar

EDIT:Adding the TiVo instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
And this: How to uninstall Hydra from Bolt

I just got off the phone with TiVo support, there is a hidden downgrade option in the help menus Here are the instructions they just emailed me.

"To downgrade a DVR from TiVo Experience 4 to TiVo Experience 3:
From HOME, Choose MENU > HELP > RESET TO DEFAULTS > REPEAT GUIDED SETUP
Repeat Guided Setup screen where the customer will need to enter the backdoor code.
From the Repeat Guided Setup screen, enter the following Backdoor Code:
Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Rewind, Rewind on the remote control to display the Downgrade Your TiVo Box
screen.
Tip: If the backdoor code does not initiate the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen, [Restart or Power cycle the DVR].

2. After entering the code, the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen appears."

I am not responsible for any loss of data. As I understand this wipes all data & recordings...

Good Luck
Shalamar

EDIT:Adding the TiVo instructions.
Thanks for that PDF!!
The error message I was getting was about 2/3 down the PDF.
Now I know what else I can try!
And I'll try that tomorrow morning!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for that PDF!!
The error message I was getting was about 2/3 down the PDF.
Now I know what else I can try!
And I'll try that tomorrow morning!!
That's the same procedure outlined in the beginning of this forum.

also note if you removed your stock hard drive and installed a hard drive bigger than 3tbs you will need to remove the bigger drive and then install the stock hard drive back into your romio or bolt. Then Perform the downgrade procedure.

Then do a complete drive erase and then reinstall the bigger drive.

I also recomend you back up all recordings using pytivo or ktmg as outlined also in the beginning of this forum then proceed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There were a couple other options in the PDF that I hadn't seen before but, ultimately I ended up doing it differently than described here or in the PDF.

So, I have been trying for 2 days to to put a donor hard drive into my Bolt+.
I had purchased a Bolt VOX 3tb on Ebay (purchased without service) as a donor drive for my failing hard drive on my original Bolt+. The donor VOX came with TE4 installed which I didn't find out right away. My original Bolt+ is running TE3.

I kept getting a red screen with a "Software Downgrade Error!" when I tried to do the direct swap.
Someone else had said to go ahead and let the donor VOX run Guided Setup before removing the hard drive which I hadn't done before swapping the drives. I had just taken the drive out of the VOX and put it into my original Bolt+ without running Guided Setup on the donor box.
So, then I tried letting Guided Setup run on the donor VOX a couple of times to no avail!! I was still getting the red screen and the same error message when I swapped the drives out.
On the bright side, I am now a professional Tivo disassembler/re-assembler!!!
I finally deduced that the red screen was probably caused by the two Bolt drives running different interfaces
(TE3 and TE4).

So then I found the backdoor code to downgrade the interface from TE4 to TE3 here. I tried several times, without success, to downgrade the VOX donor box, from the TE4 that it came with to TE3 (my preferred interface). I kept getting an error message that my network was to blame. And Tivo Customer Service had no clue what to do so I came here.

Joe Kustra gave me the Ah-ha moment in another thread here!! He said to activate service on the donor box for $14.99 on tivo.com. I never thought to activate the donor box! And I can cancel within 30 days without penalty!!

So, this morning I activated service on the donor VOX for a month for $14.99 which I will cancel this afternoon. Once I had activated the service on the donor VOX, I was then able to downgrade the TE4 on the donor VOX to TE3.
YIPPEEE!!!
When the donor VOX got back to the Guided Setup page, I simply unplugged the donor VOX from the power outlet and swapped the now successfully rolled back TE3, VOX hard drive into my original Bolt+, also running TE3.
It went right to Guided Setup and finished up in TE3!!!!!!

VOILA!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!!! Happy dance!!!

THANKS Joe Kustra, pl1 and everyone else for this forum!!!!

~Robin

PS: Next time the hard drive fails, I am going with the external drive option!!!!
Hopefully, not for a couple more years!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
There were a couple other options in the PDF that I hadn't seen before but, ultimately I ended up doing it differently than described here or in the PDF.

I had purchased a Bolt VOX 3tb on Ebay (purchased without service) as a donor drive for my failing hard drive on my original Bolt+. The donor VOX came with TE4 installed which I didn't find out right away. My original Bolt+ is running TE3.

I kept getting a red screen with a "Software Downgrade Error!" when I tried to do the direct swap.
Someone else had said to go ahead and let the donor VOX run Guided Setup before removing the hard drive which I hadn't done before swapping the drives. I had just taken the drive out of the VOX and put it into my original Bolt+ without running Guided Setup on the donor box.
So, then I tried letting Guided Setup run on the donor VOX a couple of times to no avail!! I was still getting the red screen and the same error message when I swapped the drives out.
I finally deduced that the red screen was probably caused by the two Bolt drives running different interfaces
(TE3 and TE4).

So then I found the backdoor code to downgrade the interface from TE4 to TE3 here. I tried several times, without success, to downgrade the VOX donor box, from the TE4 that it came with to TE3 (my preferred interface). I kept getting an error message that my network was to blame. And Tivo Customer Service had no clue what to do so I came here.

Joe Kustra gave me the Ah-ha moment in another thread here!! He said to activate service on the donor box for $14.99 on tivo.com. I never thought to activate the donor box! And I can cancel within 30 days without penalty!!

So, this morning I activated service on the donor VOX for a month for $14.99 which I will cancel this afternoon. Once I had activated the service on the donor VOX, I was then able to downgrade the TE4 on the donor VOX to TE3.
YIPPEEE!!!
When the donor VOX got back to the Guided Setup page, I simply unplugged the donor VOX from the power outlet and swapped the now successfully rolled back TE3, VOX hard drive into my original Bolt+, also running TE3.

~Robin

PS: Next time the hard drive fails, I am going with the external drive option!!!!
That's correct you needed to on the bolt vox drive run a complete drive erase using the western digital data lifegaurd utility which can be downloaded for free.

Then it should auto format the drive hopefully you backed up you recordings first.

But it would have been a lot less expensive to have just purchased a new western digital red plus 3tb drive and affixed it externally to the top of the bolt with velcro and did what I did.

Vs spending all that extra money on a bolt vox just for the hard drive

Or if you just wanted a laptop size drive you could have purchased a 3 tb wd blue drive in a laptop size although I don't like them. At all.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not necessary you can

(TE3 and TE4).

YIPPEEE!!!

~Robin

Not necessary read my suggestion below and do it yourself there is even a picture somewhere in this forum of my bolt plus Setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats! I wouldn't have thought activation would be required, but now I know.
I'm not 100% sure I couldn't have just done the Delete Everything option for the VOX and reinstalled it in my original Bolt+ since I don't think I tried that until after I activated the donor box.
I didn't have a way to hook it directly to my laptop or I would have wiped it myself that way.
That cable will be here tomorrow from Amazon for next time!
Regards,
~Robin
PS: I paid less than the cost of a new drive for the VOX.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not 100% sure I couldn't have just done the Delete Everything option for the VOX and reinstalled it in my original Bolt+ since I don't think I tried that until after I activated the donor box.
I didn't have a way to hook it directly to my laptop or I would have wiped it myself that way.
That cable will be here tomorrow from Amazon for next time!
Regards,
~Robin
Nope a c d and e would not have worked.

Done that before.

Your best bet would be purchasing a USB adapter set for you computer and downloading western digital data lifeguard utilities. And making sure before you remove any hard drives you back up all recordings even from a failing hard drive using pytivo or kttmg.

Then proceed with removing a failing drive especially with bolts as the memory for the recordings is stored on flash vs the hard drive so once you remove it it wipes all your recordings. Vs a Romio and earlier tivo.

My point is you spent money and extra expenses that you could have avoided.

The stock bolt drives are notorious for failing.

So for next time plan on this a 3.5 size drive 3tb drive either a western digital red plus not pro or a 3 tb purple drive or a Seagate green barracuda drive some velcro a pwm fan cable to extend the power sata connection and a 4 dollar pair of book shelf brackets from home depot or lowes to affix a 120 m by 25 m fan on top and a USB power adapter and a Silverstone pwm management to plug fan into and power from a power USB.
all less than 120 dollars.

And then I promise you won't have a failing hard drive problem anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my 2nd hard drive replacement for this Bolt+. My nearly 10 year old Premier Elite XL is still going strong!!

Definitely going with the external option next time it fails. (and I know it will!)

I've had the donor Vox box on hand for a couple months now because the last drive was randomly rebooting at the most inopportune moments. It got to be a twice-daily issue last week so I dug out the Ebay-purchased VOX to replace the 2tb Blue WD I put in it in March of 2021. In March 2021, I just went to BestBuy and got whatever they had at that moment to get it back up and running. Because it wasn't the correct hard drive for the Tivo, it never worked right 100% of the time.
I've learned a thing or two since that purchase.
And, I actually paid less for the VOX than the replacement hard drive would have cost. I bid way low on eBay and won the auction so it wasn't that bad.
Plus, I never looked here for the answers like I should have!!

I do have a question, though: Would a better fan help the drive last longer?? I think I read that one issue is overheating. (along with getting too much use from the 6 tuners and the other issues plaguing this unit.)
Thanks again!!
Robin

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is my 2nd hard drive replacement for this Bolt+. My nearly 10 year old Premier Elite XL is still going strong!!

Definitely going with the external option next time it fails. (and I know it will!)

I've had the donor Vox box on hand for a couple months now because the last drive was randomly rebooting at the most inopportune moments. It got to be a twice-daily issue last week so I dug out the Ebay-purchased VOX to replace the 2tb Blue WD I put in it in March of 2021. In March 2021, I just went to BestBuy and got whatever they had at that moment to get it back up and running. Because it wasn't the correct hard drive for the Tivo, it never worked right 100% of the time.
I've learned a thing or two since that purchase.
And, I actually paid less for the VOX than the replacement hard drive would have cost. I bid way low on eBay and won the auction so it wasn't that bad.
Plus, I never looked here for the answers like I should have!!

I do have a question, though: Would a better fan help the drive last longer?? I think I read that one issue is overheating. (along with getting too much use from the 6 tuners and the other issues plaguing this unit.)
Thanks again!!
Robin
Thats correct so you have a series 4 too but consider what I posted that is the external do it yourself option. And exactly what I have done with my 2 bolts . And did that early this year before that I was just affixing 3.5 drives on top of my bolts.

Put it this way I have never run any if my bolts on the laptop size drives.

Ever since I started using them in 2017 because I like my romio and series 4 premier run bigger than stock hard drives.

The problem now is finding drives that stay cool so for my bolts and my one romio for now I have had to run 120 m size case fans over bookshelf brackets to keep the hard drives cool. Which is perfect for the bolts but for my romio and series 4 I may going the green barracuda route. As I think that is the only option where the drives run at 5400 rpms in the bigger sizes and stay cool without the need for extra fans

Which are impossible to add inside the tivos anyway.

If you do go the route I did which is just mounting a desktop size drive externally on top of your bolt then yes affixing a 120 m case size fan on top of the drive will help.

I have attached a picture in the hope that helps you understand more clearly how I mounted my drives externally.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thats correct so you have a series 4 too but consider what I posted that is the external do it yourself option. And exactly what I have done with my 2 bolts . And did that early this year before that I was just affixing 3.5 drives on top of my bolts.

Put it this way I have never run any if my bolts on the laptop size drives.

Ever since I started using them in 2017 because I like my romio and series 4 premier run bigger than stock hard drives.

The problem now is finding drives that stay cool so for my bolts and my one romio for now I have had to run 120 m size case fans over bookshelf brackets to keep the hard drives cool. Which is perfect for the bolts but for my romio and series 4 I may going the green barracuda route. As I think that is the only option where the drives run at 5400 rpms in the bigger sizes and stay cool without the need for extra fans

Which are impossible to add inside the tivos anyway.

If you do go the route I did which is just mounting a desktop size drive externally on top of your bolt then yes affixing a 120 m case size fan on top of the drive will help.

I have attached a picture in the hope that helps you understand more clearly how I mounted my drives externally.
The picture above is of my bolt plus. I hope this helps you plan your mounting a desktop drive externally.

The drive mounted on my bolt plus is a western digital 8tb purple drive which was mislabeled as a 5400 rpm drive but really is a 7200 rpm drive thus nesatating the case fan on top set as an intake to keep the hard drive cool to the touch.

721 - 735 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.