TiVo Community Forum banner
701 - 720 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
it's not sluggish on your Roamios?
My bolts and romio did not spin down in hydra at all. I could tell when I put them in standby heard the beep and 8 hrs later the expanded hard drives, I mounted on top were still spinning and hot in te3 they spin down. And are cool to the touch 8hrs later.. With the exception of my series 4. Which are not supposed to spin down at all. That feature was added to the romios in 2014.

And has been a feature on all tivos romio and newer ever since.

I am happy as long as my tivos work the way I need them too.

And in te3 I can safely get my tivos to do what I need them too and keep them running.

Without worrying about bugs and overloading the processors. Or the power sata ports frying out when I try to downgrade or change a hard a drive.

As what happened to my upstairs bolt I have since resolved that by powering via USB. And affixing a 120m case fan on top powering via a second usb.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
My bolts and romio did not spin down in hydra at all. I could tell when I put them in standby heard the beep and 8 hrs later the expanded hard drives, I mounted on top were still spinning and hot in te3 they spin down. And are cool to the touch 8hrs later.. With the exception of my series 4. Which are not supposed to spin down at all. That feature was added to the romios in 2014.

And has been a feature on all tivos romio and newer ever since.

I am happy as long as my tivos work the way I need them too.

And in te3 I can safely get my tivos to do what I need them too and keep them running.

Without worrying about bugs and overloading the processors. Or the power sata ports frying out when I try to downgrade or change a hard a drive.

As what happened to my upstairs bolt I have since resolved that by powering via USB. And affixing a 120m case fan on top powering via a second usb.
My two Bolts and two Roamios all spin down their drives in standby. They are all on Hydra. I have them set on High power savings mode. As long as there is nothing being recorded or no one watching they all spin down. I also do not have suggestions enabled.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The answer is yes you can, do not let weaknees upgrade it to hydra.

And if they do.

Then you need to download and get py tivo and download all your shows to your computer,

then downgrade and then transfer it back to the older bolt.

With te3 you can still do that.

With hydra you cannot transfer a show back from a computer.

You would need to transfer first to the bolt running te3.

Then use tivo online to transfer into the newer bolt.

And even that is unreliable.

That's why I downgraded all my tivos back to te3 from hydra.
My two Bolts and two Roamios all spin down their drives in standby. They are all on Hydra. I have them set on High power savings mode. As long as there is nothing being recorded or no one watching they all spin down. I also do not have suggestions enabled.
I don't have suggestions enabled either.

But hydra was a mess for me if it works for you great.

In my case hydra was fine for the first 6 months in 2018.

But from there it gradually got worse.

Until I was having too many issues with it.

A Great looking graphics and interface does not work for me if it won't function the way i.need it too.

Or takes away the features and tricks that i love about tivo.

That's Comcast xfinity style thinking with their junky x1 box.

And now there quest to gradually make my tivo unwatchable with their iptv only channels.

They are about to lose me for the cable TV portion.

To Verizon fios.

They want to punish us tivo users when we are the ones who get the best packages with more than one cable card and pay they are going to find out.

When we stop bieng Comcast subscribers and continue to reject their x1 boxes.

Same with tivo but unlike Comcast I can just not purchase any brand new tivos.

And can get used non vox bolts and customize them the way I want to and still get from a to w and back again safely.

To be fair I love technology and even newer nicer looking interfaces.

If they work properly and build upon without taking away classic beloved tivo features.

Such as transfer a recording directly without needing tivo online.

Hydra takes that away.

So minus 5 for that

And while pytivo can extract a stuck recording from a tivo running hydra.

You can't transfer it back to that same tivo directly from a computer.

So take away another 3 if we are judging hydra on a scale of 1 to 10 vs te3 or Quatro.

And last if it is overheating a hard drive and frying out sata power ports when you need to do maintanence by changing out the hard drive every 4 to 5 years.

Minus another 7.

And you are way below zero ratings.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If that does not work then you need to use another hard drive to perform the procedure.

Is the device a bolt or romio.

If it is a non vox bolt you can roll it back.

If it is a vox bolt or edge dvr you can't roll it back.

If it is a bolt and the procedure does not work then you need to connect another brand new laptop size non solid state drive let it auto format then perform the roll back procedure.

If it is a romio.

Then you can use any 3.5 desktop size drive.

Just to perform the roll back procedure.

Then download and install western digital data lifegaurd utilities.

And first perform a full drive erase on the stock drive after you have sucessfully rolled back the device then you can put the stock hard drive back in and let it auto format.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If that does not work then you need to use another hard drive to perform the procedure.

Is the device a bolt or romio.

If it is a non vox bolt you can roll it back.

If it is a vox bolt or edge dvr you can't roll it back.

If it is a bolt and the procedure does not work then you need to connect another brand new laptop size non solid state drive let it auto format then perform the roll back procedure.

If it is a romio.

Then you can use any 3.5 desktop size drive.

Just to perform the roll back procedure.

Then download and install western digital data lifegaurd utilities.

And first perform a full drive erase on the stock drive after you have sucessfully rolled back the device then you can put the stock hard drive back in and let it auto format.
Bit this is one of the reasons why hydra is so bad now.

It performs a drive check.

And has become increasingly more difficult to get rolled back.

And hydra causes more wear and tear on the hard drive vs te3.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is not correct. I have a Bolt Vox and rolled it back to TE3 the day I received it. The only Bolt that can't be rolled back is the Bolt OTA.

EDIT:And, if I couldn't have rolled it back I would have returned it. :)[/QAmazon.

Did you get yours new or was it upgraded to a bolt vox via a remote swap.

Also it depends on the manufacturing date.

From my understanding if it was manufactured after around March or April of 2018 then it is my understanding that they came pre-installed with hydra.

And could not be rolled back.

But glad you got it rolled back.

It seems that beginning around January of this year that a lot of people seem to be having issues with rolling back there bolts or romios.

And I am convinced that it has to do with some kind of update tivo did with the hydra system that has caused sector wear on the stock hard drives.

My one bolt gave me real problems rolling it back.

Where I had to plug back in the stock hard drive just to get it rolled back.

And then the power sata port got fried out and no longer works so now I am powering my hard drive via USB and a data sata cable plugged into that port but since then I have not had many issues but had to put brackets on my desktop size drive affixed on top and attach a 120 m by 25 m case fan to keep the hard drive cool.

But other than that I have not had any issues since.

I did not want to spend money to have weaknees do a motherboard repair.

But that happened because of the drive check that it does which often fries out the sata power ports so the hard drives will no longer power the hard drives up. If you remove the stock hard drive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I feel like we already discussed this previously, but I bought my Bolt Vox brand new.

View attachment 64337
Are you the guy who got his in like January of 2019.

Who got lucky.

But here's the thing tivo from early 2018 to a certain period of time was just upgrading bolts that did not sell and adding a vox remote to them.

So you may have gotten one of those that were brand new.

There was another forum that talked about that.

My response was for the guy that can't seem to get it rolled back.

So for guys now trying to roll them back, I think a full drive erase would have to be done and then it should let you roll back a bolt or romio device but with a bolt it is best to temporarily power a drive via USB and plug in a separate data sata cable

Or to plug a 3.5 drive such as a red plus or purple or blue drive in to get the rollback performed. Temporarily sitting on top of a bolt should be okay.

Then once the rollback is completed.

Remove the stock laptop size bolt drive and perform a quick erase or full erase if possible using wd data lifeguard utilities.

And things should be working again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are you the guy who got his in like January of 2019.

Who got lucky.

But here's the thing tivo from early 2018 to a certain period of time was just upgrading bolts that did not sell and adding a vox remote to them.

So you may have gotten one of those that were brand new.

There was another forum that talked about that.

My response was for the guy that can't seem to get it rolled back.

So for guys now trying to roll them back, I think a full drive erase would have to be done and then it should let you roll back a bolt or romio device but with a bolt it is best to temporarily power a drive via USB and plug in a separate data sata cable

Or to plug a 3.5 drive such as a red plus or purple or blue drive in to get the rollback performed. Temporarily sitting on top of a bolt should be okay.

Then once the rollback is completed.

Remove the stock laptop size bolt drive and perform a quick erase or full erase if possible using wd data lifeguard utilities.

And things should be working again.
The reason why I suggest this is to try and get around and to hopefully avoid the hydra drive check from frying out the sata ports. With the bolts

·
Registered
458 Posts
At least you like me got your tivos rolled back.

And honestly I have not been happier as since I rolled back all my tivos once again I can safely maintain them myself without worrying about hard drive issues or processors getting overloaded.
I have attached a picture below of my bolt plus.

That I rolled back and you can see the case fan and bracket on top that keeps my 3.5 drive cool.

My white bolt has the same set up that I rolled back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Here is the bottom line. All Roamios and Bolts (except the Bolt OTA) can run either TE3 or TE4. It has always been that way. There is only ONE model that will not run TE3 and that is the Bolt OTA model# TCD849500.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have attached a picture below of my bolt plus.
That I rolled back and you can see the case fan and bracket on top that keeps my 3.5 drive cool.
My white bolt has the same set up that I rolled back.
Looks good! I've previously used an external case with my Bolt Vox, but I am currently using the Toshiba 2TB with a USB fan directed to the cableCARD opening.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks good! I've previously used an external case with my Bolt Vox, but I am currently using the Toshiba 2TB with a USB fan directed to the cableCARD opening.
Both bolts of mine have been upgraded to western digital 8tb purple drives.

Affixed with velcro from Walmart. And 4 dollar brackets metal book shelf brackets, I purchased at lowes with bits power touch aqua fans that were 12 dollar fans each.

And I power the fans via a USB power sata adapter plugged into a pwm management supply just to power the fan

One is microconector brand on the bolt plus on the white 500 gig bolt it is Silverstone I Iike the Silverstone better.

But the hard drives stay room tempeture cool and thats what counts.

I do not recomend the Toshiba for hard drives though. For tivos.

I prefer wd red plus drives or purple drives.

But the problem is the 6tb and bigger drives get hot.

Which messes up how the tivo functions.

I miss the green drives and the old red drives.

Previosrly my upstairs bolt had a 6tb red drive from 2018.

But I have since replaced it with an 8tb purple drive.

I have tested a Seagate iron wolf 6tb and that stays cool when I tested it on my series 4 but not sure how it will react in a romio.

I have to test an 8tb iron wolf to see if that drive will also stay cool to the touch.

If so then I can install that in my romio without needing to leave the top off.

With the purples and red plus drives at 8tb I would have to leave the top off and install a case fan on top of the hard drive which I do not want to do on my series 4 or romio.

At least like me you have moved beyond using stock hard drives.

Have you thought of just going beyond 2 tb drives and going to a 6 or 8tb and using mffs reformator to max things out.

Of course with bolts before you remove any hard drives you would need to back up all your recordings first. Because of them storing the memory in flash instead of the hard drive.

701 - 720 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.