TiVo Community Forum banner
681 - 700 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am just tech savvy I worked in a call center environment and was even a supervisor for a little while so I know how to get things done.
Your romio is not broken its just having a conflict with that tivi because it is a 4k tivi.

You can always use that on another tivi that it still works on without issues.

And think of it this way you would have an 3 tbs of hard drive space. And they can connect to each other more easily vs minis.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your romio is not broken its just having a conflict with that tivi because it is a 4k tivi.

You can always use that on another tivi that it still works on without issues.

And think of it this way you would have an 3 tbs of hard drive space. And they can connect to each other more easily vs minis.
There are lots of other forums you can utilize too within the tivo community forum such as if you have hard drive issues or upgrade hard drives too.

You may want to try to reach out to ggieseke somewhere in the tivo comunity and try sending him an email he may be able to help you with your current issue.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Funny, I have a Bolt VOX 500G and it is on TE3.
Did you add a vox remote or did you buy it from from someone else if so that person may have tried out hydra and hated it.

And rolled it back. Check the manufacture date on your bolt if it is white it's the same one I also have.

But I am running an 8tb on that now in addition to my bolt plus.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did you add a vox remote or did you buy it from from someone else if so that person may have tried out hydra and hated it.

And rolled it back. Check the manufacture date on your bolt if it is white it's the same one I also have.

It depends on when it was manufactured if it was manufactured prior to March 2018 they can be rolled back.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

It is black, I purchased it directly from TiVo brand new. MFG date Jan 8, 2019

·
Registered
458 Posts
It is black, I purchased it directly from TiVo brand new. MFG date Jan 8, 2019
Interesting you got lucky.

My white bolt I purchased brand new from tivo in September 2017.
9 months before hydra came out of testing.
Hydra ruined my power sata ports on that bolt now powering my 8tb with a USB power adapter. And I have a 120 m fan on top to keep hard drive cool so that tivo does not get errors in te3 when restarting.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Interesting you got lucky.

My white bolt I purchased brand new from tivo in September 2017.
9 months before hydra came out of testing.
Hydra ruined my power sata ports on that bolt now powering my 8tb with a USB power adapter. And I have a 120 m fan on top to keep hard drive cool so that tivo does not get errors in te3 when restarting.
I purchased a white refurb from TiVo that I promptly returned. It had that "well known" terrible fan noise. Most of the Bolt problems are the white ones from what I've seen. My black one is rock solid, knock on wood.

·
UHD Addict
24,275 Posts
Te4 is bad especially for Romios i ran it for 3 years and at first it was okay but gradually got worse even for my bolts.

Te4 will also harm your hard drives even the stock ones as in standby it doesn't power down the hard drives like te3 does with the romios and bolts.
Since when? My Hard Drives still spin down in my Bolts and Roamios. They are both set for High Power Savings mode. When I bring them out of standy, if they have not been recording anything or being viewed remotely, I will hear the hard drive spin up.
I've been using TE4 for years now, since it was introduced. It is still working great on two Bolts, two ROamios, and two Minis.

·
Under Maintenance
26,698 Posts
Since when? My Hard Drives still spin down in my Bolts and Roamios. They are both set for High Power Savings mode. When I bring them out of standy, if they have not been recording anything or being viewed remotely, I will hear the hard drive spin up.
I've been using TE4 for years now, since it was introduced. It is still working great on two Bolts, two ROamios, and two Minis.
it's not sluggish on your Roamios?

·
Registered
23 Posts
so here I am 4 years after my 1st Tivo and when the new interface came out, i hated it. i even had a scaleing issue that part of the content was cut off at the margins on all 4 sides. that Bolt just had a Hard drive failure and I just got another unit with the new interface. It does not seem to be as objectionable as when I 1st tried it, the most annoying thing is the requirement to use the back button so much.

so my question is are there advantages and or new features to this new interface that make it worth keeping? I am getting my old unit repaired and obviously need them both on the same UI. All my minis are older UI. and a side note. Weaknees is going to try and recover my 2TB+ shows and I am guessing that it will have to be on the units UI (old one). This may make my decision for me, not sure. Appreciate feedback now that its been out a while.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They do not both
so here I am 4 years after my 1st Tivo and when the new interface came out, i hated it. i even had a scaleing issue that part of the content was cut off at the margins on all 4 sides. that Bolt just had a Hard drive failure and I just got another unit with the new interface. It does not seem to be as objectionable as when I 1st tried it, the most annoying thing is the requirement to use the back button so much.

so my question is are there advantages and or new features to this new interface that make it worth keeping? I am getting my old unit repaired and obviously need them both on the same UI. All my minis are older UI. and a side note. Weaknees is going to try and recover my 2TB+ shows and I am guessing that it will have to be on the units UI (old one). This may make my decision for me, not sure. Appreciate feedback now that its been out a while.
They do not both need to be on hydra.

And the answer for me is there is not really an advantage to running hydra.

If anything hydra might be the reason your bolt stopped working as hydra fries out the sata power ports it did that to my one bolt. When I attempted to roll it back.

I switched to powering the hard drive via usb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Weakness told me that the 3TB drive that was used in the past is a weak link and they have had failures. I was using the older UI on the unit that failed. If one is on new and the other old, can I still see and play shows recorded on either of the other TIVO?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Weakness told me that the 3TB drive that was used in the past is a weak link and they have had failures. I was using the older UI on the unit that failed. If one is on new and the other old, can I still see and play shows recorded on either of the other TIVO?
Yes the old bolt drive was a western digital blue laptop size drive and they were either a 500 gig 1tb or 3tb drive.

I run desktop size drives on my bolts and affix them with velcro on top.

I recomend the purple or red plus drives not the pro drives. And if you do that I recomend attaching 4 dollar brackets from lowes or home depot and affixing a 120 m fan on top and powering it via a USB connection..

And you should not have any hard drive failures.

The reason for that is the hard drives can run hot.

And the exhaust fan in the bolts is not enough to keep the hard drives from overheating.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes the old bolt drive was a western digital blue laptop size drive and they were either a 500 gig 1tb or 3tb drive.

I run desktop size drives on my bolts and affix them with velcro on top.

I recomend the purple or red plus drives not the pro drives. And if you do that I recomend attaching 4 dollar brackets from lowes or home depot and affixing a 120 m fan on top and powering it via a USB connection..

And you should not have any hard drive failures.

The reason for that is the hard drives can run hot.

And the exhaust fan in the bolts is not enough to keep the hard drives from overheating.
The answer is yes you can, do not let weaknees upgrade it to hydra.

And if they do.

Then you need to download and get py tivo and download all your shows to your computer,

then downgrade and then transfer it back to the older bolt.

With te3 you can still do that.

With hydra you cannot transfer a show back from a computer.

You would need to transfer first to the bolt running te3.

Then use tivo online to transfer into the newer bolt.

And even that is unreliable.

That's why I downgraded all my tivos back to te3 from hydra.

681 - 700 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.