TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Isn't PyTivo supposed to be able to transfer pc to tivo using Gen3? How do you do that? Since I cannot transfer some old recordings to my XL4, but they do download via KMTTG, can't I then shoot them up to my XL4 from my PC? I looked to see if this could be done with KMTTG, but was told it does not have that function. No wonder I couldn't find it...LOL
kmttg can copy recordings from a Gen3 TiVo to a computer, but not from a computer to TiVo (I don't know why). BUT, pyTiVo, or pyTivo Desktop, can copy in both directions. Lots of info about pyTivo Desktop HERE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, this is the downgrade process I had asked a couple of people to try before posting. I guess the testing is done! I really really really hope people understand that by doing this you will lose everything on your box - recordings, OnePasses, preferences. Everything! For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we'll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.
Personally, I really appreciate BadCommand posting the downgrade steps. My household was close to mutiny due to the upgrade.

To be very specific, it had nothing to do with the new look or features. 100% of the dissatisfaction in my home was due to the large volume of glitches and bugs we experienced. I submitted an online support request at tivo.com and received no response.

A short (but not exhaustive) list of issues:

1) The channel info bar showed program data for the wrong channels/market (Guide data was correct)
2) The channel info bar would show "Title not available" for channels whose data was clearly displayed in the guide
4) Channel up/down would randomly stop working and you'd need to visit the guide to change channels (This would be coincident with the "Title not available" issue. If this was displayed, channel up/down would stop working)
5) Channels would randomly disappear from the guide (and no ... people were not editing the channel list)
6) Tivo minis would randomly complain about cable card issues (There is no cable card -- it is an OTA setup)
7) Tivo minis would have empty guide data (no channels) We'd have to regularly re-select the host DVR to get the data back.

There are more, but you get the gist. Before someone suggests a network or equipment problem, everything worked correctly before the Hydra "upgrade" and works correctly again after the downgrade.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
It should be pointed out that when transferring from PC to TiVo with pyTiVo, the transfer is initiated from the TiVo.
Where are some simple instructions, please? The help thread is 71 pages and his link to his website is not very helpful. Thanks.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
kmttg can copy recordings from a Gen3 TiVo to a computer, but not from a computer to TiVo (I don't know why). BUT, pyTiVo, or pyTivo Desktop, can copy in both directions. Lots of info about pyTivo Desktop HERE.
Where are some simple instructions, please? The help thread is 71 pages and his link to his website is not very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but it is worth repeating. Before starting the downgrade process, you can use kmttg to backup your one passes, thumb ratings, and custom channel list.
And that should be a Tivo service. Fios even has that. When you get a new box (if the old one isn't fried), they advise you to do a backup so you can restore it when you get the new box. Saves everything but recordings (legal issues there).

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
There aren't any, unfortunately. But hopefully, you will find the few settings and operations easy enough to scan through and complete, and people are more than willing to explain any matter at the thread. And the installation itself is a piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Isn't PyTivo supposed to be able to transfer pc to tivo using Gen3? How do you do that? Since I cannot transfer some old recordings to my XL4, but they do download via KMTTG, can't I then shoot them up to my XL4 from my PC? I looked to see if this could be done with KMTTG, but was told it does not have that function. No wonder I couldn't find it...LOL

Thanks
Yes pyTivo allows you to send shows from your PC to your TiVo on gen3 so I think what you suggest would work.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Yes pyTivo allows you to send shows from your PC to your TiVo on gen3 so I think what you suggest would work.
You would think, right? LOL. Well I found out how to transfer from pc to tivo using pytivo when someone said it had to be done from the tivo itself. So I see the folders from my pc and I transferred a recording that I know transferred ok from RP to XL4 and it worked fine, but when I tried one that transfers screwed up AND IT TOO transferred a bad one with the name and info of the first entry! Son of a B. I give up...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
You would think, right? LOL. Well I found out how to transfer from pc to tivo using pytivo when someone said it had to be done from the tivo itself. So I see the folders from my pc and I transferred a recording that I know transferred ok from RP to XL4 and it worked fine, but when I tried one that transfers screwed up AND IT TOO transferred a bad one with the name and info of the first entry! Son of a B. I give up...LOL
Yes, you need to "pull" the file from the TiVo after you start pyTivo. I had a similar problem with a couple of recordings that wouldn't transfer and just will watch them on demand instead.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
But I pulled the files from the tivo with kmttg and they are fine on the pc, which is the one I used. You think I need to pull it with Pytivo? what would be the diff?

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
But I pulled the files from the tivo with kmttg and they are fine on the pc, which is the one I used. You think I need to pull it with Pytivo? what would be the diff?
From trying to research the problem I had it seems pyTivo didn't like the copies I made from kmttg and wouldn't complete the transfer. For two recordings I didn't think it was worth my time to investigate further. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
From trying to research the problem I had it seems pyTivo didn't like the copies I made from kmttg and wouldn't complete the transfer. For two recordings I didn't think it was worth my time to investigate further. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for trying. Same thing happened when I pulled and pushed with pytivo. Maybe I will ask Moyekj in his thread about the info problem. Thanks again.

Sorry for the little off topic in here, everyone...

·
TDL shepherd
17,527 Posts
Any similar process for BOLTs?
My guess is it would be similar, if you have a Bolt you could try to start the reset using codes above and see if it gets it going (there are prompts before it's erased so you can back out).
It's the same for Roamio and BOLT.
Indeed. The above "Roamio" steps worked to initiate the downgrade process on my BOLT, displaying the attached warning dialog as confirmation:

Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device Software

I apparently failed to follow the precise button sequence on my first try, prompting my original post. Thanks all.

p.s. At least for the present I'm sticking with Hydra (until I get my OnePasses backed-up), so I can't say whether selecting the downgrade option required any additional confirmations.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Indeed. The above "Roamio" steps worked to initiate the downgrade process on my BOLT, displaying the attached warning dialog as confirmation:

I apparently failed to follow the precise button sequence on my first try, prompting my original post. Thanks all.

p.s. At least for the present I'm sticking with Hydra (until I get my OnePasses backed-up), so I can't say whether selecting the downgrade option required any additional confirmations.
There may have been one final confirmation after that selection but can't recall, you're teetering on the edge!

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we'll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.
That's great to hear. I've held off for my Roamio Pro/Minis, primarily due to the live guide (and back function on dpad)...which will just be a heavy lift in terms of change for our family which has had TiVo now for 17+ years. A lot of the other features and design are really desireable, but function always trumps design for me.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts

Thanks
pyTiVo and pyTiVo Desktop are two-way; kmttg is one-way (TiVo-to-PC).
IMO, @wmcbrine pyTiVo and @moyekj kmttg are 'Advanced / Expert-Level' programs and @Dan203 pyTiVo Desktop is the 'Follow the Wizard' version - i.e. you can (just about) CLICK on the pyTiVo Desktop install program and EVERYTHING will be set up for you (DO NOT INSTALL AS A SERVICE!!!).

pyTiVo and kmttg need lots of pre-install reading, accompanying manual install of required packages, and, for kmttg, substantial post-install reading of the EXCELLENT, well-maintained Wiki. While pyTiVo Desktop does simplify the installation of pyTiVo-like functionality, nothing comes close to the versatility of kmttg.

Transferring shows between TiVo-to-PC and then back PC-to-TiVo SUCCESSFULLY is NOT a cut-and-dry 'simple' process - there are many pitfalls, seldom discussed nowadays (maybe they were when pyTiVo and kmttg were first introduced years ago). If you wish to learn more and are willing to invest several hours / days of your time, SEARCH TCF for my UserID posts from May/June 2017 discussing:
  • TS Sync Errors (vs Closed Caption Errors)
  • TS 'Fast' Format Transfers vs PS 'Slow' Format Transfers
  • "0x47 every 188"
Like the saying "Fast, Good, Cheap - Pick Two", if you're in a hurry / are impatient, try pyTiVo Desktop. For more features, try kmttg (w/VideoReDo). Once you begin reading, you'll have a better understanding but, IMO, no one can give you a complete education / picture in one or two posts - you need to invest the time.

Best of Luck! :)

41 - 60 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.