TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Good point. I just assumed that it would be the same, but would be nice to see it confirmed (or not).
It's the same for Roamio and BOLT. After downgrading, you can just connect to the downgraded box from a MINI and it will offer to downgrade as well. No backdoors required on MINI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we'll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it can't/won't ever be changed to at least keep the recordings?

Reactions: jackstoker

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
it's been said from the start that to go back requires full reinstall of the previous software and wiping the drive don't think it can or will change to keep recordings
Sorry, but are you Ted? I can read and know what has been said for a long time. It is a question for him, if he chooses to answer, but I know the probable answer. I got close to 1,000 recordings on my Roamio Pro. Thanks.

I did not read that it wipes the drive first. It does? Strange.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
This may sound strange, but during guided setup, did it remember the name of your Roamio? I have run GS and replaced the hard drive on a Roamio and it still knows my box's name. Not a 100% wipe.
Good question and I set it up so long ago I don't remember if LROOM was a default choice or if I made it up. But it was there during setup and I guessed that's because of connecting the box with the TSN online.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Followed the following
For the Roamio:
1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

Saw the message about the rollback process, after everything was complete I still have Hydra....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Followed the following
For the Roamio:
2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

Saw the message about the rollback process, after everything was complete I still have Hydra....
Oh man...roll back...lose everything and still be stuck with Hydra? I would go bananas!

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Followed the following
For the Roamio:

Wow, I would send a message to TiVo Ted and let him know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am in the process of downloading and transferring recordings now with the intent to roll back. Will do bolt after transferring to roamio and then xfer back to bolt after downgrade.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,728 Posts
Yes, this is the downgrade process I had asked a couple of people to try before posting. I guess the testing is done! I really really really hope people understand that by doing this you will lose everything on your box - recordings, OnePasses, preferences. Everything! For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we'll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.
@TiVo_Ted: I hope that you (and your chain of command) appreciate just how much of a positive difference your interactive presence here means to us--and to the eventual success of Hydra. You are following in the giant footsteps of TiVoMargret (and a handful of others).

I am among the TiVo devotees who were eager to upgrade to Hydra on day one; however, given the initial bugs and missing features, I have decided to hold off until I feel it will be an overall positive change for my usage case. I am rooting for that day to come sooner rather than later, and I feel hopeful that your personal efforts will contribute to hastening its arrival.

Thanks for all you do.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
This may sound strange, but during guided setup, did it remember the name of your Roamio? I have run GS and replaced the hard drive on a Roamio and it still knows my box's name. Not a 100% wipe.
Names of machines are also stored in the TiVo cloud by service number. It could've pulled it down during the guided setup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, this is the downgrade process I had asked a couple of people to try before posting. I guess the testing is done! I really really really hope people understand that by doing this you will lose everything on your box - recordings, OnePasses, preferences. Everything! For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we'll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.
Thanks Ted! I really appreciate your being active on TCF! Hopefully you will continue even after getting past the Hydra growing pangs.

Can you please tell us why, technically, the recordings have to be lost when reverting to Gen3?

And please tell us why, technically, transfers from a computer to TiVo can't be restored. I really do want to try Hydra, but can't without the computer to TiVo transfer ability.

·
I Am Sometimes Vocal
980 Posts
Yes I added back all my one passes, thumb ratings, and custom channel list via kmttg. I only had two recordings on it before the reset and had backed them up too but I got an error transferring them back from pyTivo and will just watch them on demand.
Isn't PyTivo supposed to be able to transfer pc to tivo using Gen3? How do you do that? Since I cannot transfer some old recordings to my XL4, but they do download via KMTTG, can't I then shoot them up to my XL4 from my PC? I looked to see if this could be done with KMTTG, but was told it does not have that function. No wonder I couldn't find it...LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
LOL- I made it clear to Tivo that I was going to post on this and their Tivo forums and the support tech gave the go ahead.
Yet another example of them going off script. I was waiting to post until we had a few people go through this successfully. On your instructions, there is an easier way to downgrade the MINI's. After downgrading your DVR, go to the MINI, Devices setup and reconnect your host DVR to your newly downgraded DVR. The MINI should immediately prompt you to downgrade and walk you through the process.

21 - 40 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.