TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks... Not good news. My bad for not coming here in advance and doing my research in advance. In the past, I've never felt the need to question Tivos upgrades, especially since I got the Bolt+mini, which I have been impressed with.

Thus far (less than 24 hours) the new UI does not have the look and feel of an upgrade, more has the feel of a switch to an existing UI from another product. In the PC\Mac\Linux world, the term often used is "Port", and ports tend to be functional, but clunky.

As one simple observation, it takes more menu navigation (think of mouse clicks) to accomplish the same thing.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
...the new UI does not have the look and feel of an upgrade, more has the feel of a switch to an existing UI from another product...
Within the past few weeks, we experienced a night (Prime Time) without SkipMode - once on CBS, then on NBC - so I watched a few commercials. IIRC, one was for FireTV and a couple were for ISPs. The *FIRST* thought that came to my mind was Gen4 / Hydra - they all look so similar (lots of pictures, minimal text). Even Kodi and the Plex client are full of pictures. It "must" be what the "people" (not this Baby Boomer) want... :rolleyes:

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
As one simple observation, it takes more menu navigation (think of mouse clicks) to accomplish the same thing.
I have both, so I'm staying impartial for now.

One observation. The extra mouse clicks are because you have prior experience. If Hydra was your first, you would have little to compare with. But I ramble. Good luck.

·
Registered
470 Posts

One observation. The extra mouse clicks are because you have prior experience. If Hydra was your first, you would have little to compare with. But I ramble. Good luck.
Yes, what you're saying it true, and my opinion is rising as I use it. It is a major overhaul from the Tivo UI which has been basically the same since 1999.

What I am happy about is that so far, all the TiVO functionality from the remote appears to be there and working correctly for me. What I have yet to see\find is any new WOW features. Just seem to be the same functionality with a new UI. I would say I was more impressed upgrading from S3 to Bolt and Mini. At that time I was about to quit TiVo after 18 years in favor of xFinity's X1. I've been impressed with the Bolt & Mini combo.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
At the moment, I am regretting the upgrade, but I will give it some time. I preferred the original TiVo UI over the xfintityX1 UI (on xfintity box of course), and I prefer the X1 UI over the new TiVo upgrade.
Why did you "upgrade"?

Currently I want the TiVo live guide, not the grid. I am hoping their is an option to switch back to that.
I think it highly unlikely that the Live Guide will ever be on option in the Gen4 UI. Text based displays aren't "modern".

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I just took a Mini VOX back to TE3. I wanted to see what software it would get. It didn't take long and it received 20.7.4.RC18. All I had to do to start the rollback was assign it to a non-Hydra host. Then, to upgrade back, I assigned it to a Hydra host. Pretty quick. I could not get the VOX remote to pair in rf mode without Hydra, and even then it took a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wondering if a Roamio Plus UI rollback would fix the FF to Play 5+ second freeze issue.

TiVo has been no help, havn't found a posted solution, and willing to spend hours (if necessary) to fix this constant aggravation.

Happy to give details of problem if needed.
TIA.

·
Registered
90 Posts

An airplane is faster than a car but if you had never seen an airplane you would be happy to drive SF to NY rather than fly in 5 hours.
I want my airplane back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help! I tried Hydra and hated it so I followed this thread to downgrade successfully last week - just got my Tivo working again and recording shows again after losing everything in the downgrade. Now this morning, the Tivo has re-upgraded me to Hydra again without my permission! What can I do now?

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Help! I tried Hydra and hated it so I followed this thread to downgrade successfully last week - just got my Tivo working again and recording shows again after losing everything in the downgrade. Now this morning, the Tivo has re-upgraded me to Hydra again without my permission! What can I do now?
That's new. Were you prompted to upgrade? Is there an app to the new experience that is checked? I have two non-Hydra Roamio boxes and I would be really pissed if that happened to me.

Bolt or Roamio?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's new. Were you prompted to upgrade? Is there an app to the new experience that is checked? I have two non-Hydra Roamio boxes and I would be really pissed if that happened to me.

Bolt or Roamio?
Roamio - the first time I did upgrade on purpose with the "new experience" prompt - but I hated Hydra and found this thread and downgraded successfully even though I knew I would lose all my recordings. That was last week. I absolutely DID NOT ask to upgrade again (no one in the house but me) and yet this morning it's upgraded to what looks like a slightly newer version of Hydra 21.8.1.RC6-848-6-848 without my OK. I guess I can downgrade again but I am nervous about what will happen next and losing all my recordings again and how to stop this. Is Rovi trying to kill off their loyal old Tivo customer base (I've been with them since series 1 in 1999)?

·
TDL shepherd
17,537 Posts
Roamio - the first time I did upgrade on purpose with the "new experience" prompt - but I hated Hydra and found this thread and downgraded successfully even though I knew I would lose all my recordings. That was last week. I absolutely DID NOT ask to upgrade again (no one in the house but me) and yet this morning it's upgraded to what looks like a slightly newer version of Hydra 21.8.1.RC6-848-6-848 without my OK. I guess I can downgrade again but I am nervous about what will happen next and losing all my recordings again and how to stop this. Is Rovi trying to kill off their loyal old Tivo customer base (I've been with them since series 1 in 1999)?
Yikes, @TiVo_Ted may want to take note of this if there's a glitch in the targeting for the new Hydra update that just started rolling out. It sounds like your box was somehow erroneously included in the initial "random 5000" boxes, perhaps a list that was compiled prior to your rolling back. Regardless, a major goof/bug on the part of the update process.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
This is bad. The new rollout of 21.8.1 must be screwed up. You might want to post here -> New TE4 update starting to roll out

I'm tempted to remove my network connections until Tuesday.

The web site to request upgrades is broken, so checking your TSN there won't be possible.

If you have Twitter, I would ask @TiVoSupport WTF is going on. :mad:

·
Registered
420 Posts
IT WORKED. The very last step in the procedure was a bit different than described on the first page, but it was clear that the box was going to "downgrade".

IT WORKED. Now THIS is the Tivo we all know and love! Thanks, thanks, thanks! for posting this.

·
TDL shepherd
17,537 Posts
FYI... As suspected:
I looked into the reason why someone might have gotten the update after downgrading. Because this was a test that included an email and on-screen message, we had to pull the random list of names early. That list was created on April 12th. The emails and on-screen message went out just after the update started on Tuesday the 24th. Anyone who downgraded between those dates probably got accidentally put into the new upgrade group. I'm sorry we missed this scenario, and hopefully not too many people got caught in the middle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help please.

Got a refurbed Tivo Roamio OTA that came with the new interface. Doesn't match any of my other devices. Went through the menu as shown by the OP and got the message about downgrading the system.

Now the Tivo will not boot up. Just gives the "Almost There" message.

Do I have a brick ?

221 - 240 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.