TiVo Community Forum banner
181 - 200 of 735 Posts

·
Unregistered User
323 Posts
@TiVo_Ted - I really feel bad that so much time was put into Hydra, but I tried to like it but I have have recordings on 3 different TiVos and it was impossible to go from one to another using Hydra. I might have liked it if I only had a Bolt which I bought so that I would have 4K capability and the "lifetime savings on Black Friday" was something that I didn't want to pass up in case one of my older TiVos died. The switching to Devices and then scrolling down to whatever the other box names were and then searching was tedious. When you finished watching, deleting by pressing the TiVo button didn't happen, and I couldn't figure out where I was unless I went back to the main menu. From there you couldn't just scroll down, but had to select 1 through 0 to navigate. Just too much for me. I rolled back and I am happy again. I guess that is what counts.
I don't think TiVo performed adequate usability studies on this interface. It is not intuitive.

·
Banned
1,642 Posts
@TiVo_Ted - I really feel bad that so much time was put into Hydra, but I tried to like it but I have have recordings on 3 different TiVos and it was impossible to go from one to another using Hydra. I might have liked it if I only had a Bolt which I bought so that I would have 4K capability and the "lifetime savings on Black Friday" was something that I didn't want to pass up in case one of my older TiVos died. The switching to Devices and then scrolling down to whatever the other box names were and then searching was tedious. When you finished watching, deleting by pressing the TiVo button didn't happen, and I couldn't figure out where I was unless I went back to the main menu. From there you couldn't just scroll down, but had to select 1 through 0 to navigate. Just too much for me. I rolled back and I am happy again. I guess that is what counts.
Glad you are happy with the prev gen. At least for now, TiVo gives you that choice. I rolled back a spare lifetime Roamio that was sitting in the closet so I can use it to grab recordings from a Tivo Desktop PC and a Netgear Nas and send them to the Hydrated Bolt and the other Roamios

It was a familiar face and fun to mess around in the old ui. It came up with the live guide, I noticed the guide had no channel icons. I found it lackluster compared to Hydra. Kinda like looking back at Windows 98. Yes there are many quirks with hydra, but its still im my opinion a step into the future for Tivo and getting better with the updates.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You do know that you can now toggle CC's on the old Gen3 interface by pressing and holding the blue "B" button on the remote? Can't get much easier than that.
I did not know that. I will give it a try tonight. I thought the letters were only for sorting...Still happy that I switched back. Hubby isn't griping that he can't figure out how to navigate. I prefer the Alexa commands so I only use the remote now to get to My Shows ( baby steps in learning how to map using Harmony - main issues were resolved through some good advice by other members of this forum). Looking forward to additional future Alexa commands using skills.

Reactions: RoamioJeff

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
I don't think TiVo performed adequate usability studies on this interface. It is not intuitive.
I thought just the opposite. It was very intuitive. EVen my GFs young grand nieces/nephews had no problem using Hydra.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
As I've said before...'intuitive' depends on how long you used Encore (classic HDUI). Folks that have spent years with Encore have had that paradigm drilled into their brains, so what is 'intuitive' to them is influenced by that experience. If you have used other DVRs recently, or are used to the Hulu/Amazon/Netflix UX's, then Hydra is a much easier transition. The TiVo UX up until now has been evolutionary. Hydra is a clean break with the past and changes the entire paradigm. I happen to like it, but other don't. YMMV.

Reactions: foghorn2

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
For auto-skip to work, you need to be running TiVo Experience 4. We will be enabling IFTTT for all devices running TE4. We are working to support IFTTT on TiVo Experience 3 with all other features
It seems peculiar that this one, killer feature is restricted to Hydra/gen4.
Only initially. It requires us to back-port a database change. I'm working with the product team on a plan to support this in the near future.
I thought Ted's comment was interesting regarding back-porting a database change for the gen3 UI which would seem to be relevant here as to why they wipe the TiVo when reverting from Hydra/gen4 back to gen3.

Scott

·
Tivoaholic Member
54 Posts
I rolled both of my boxes back to Gen 3. I've decided I'd like to put Hydra back on my secondary box just to keep up with it's progress. I have two questions. 1) If both DVRs are on different software can I still view (not transfer) recordings that I recorded on the other box? 2. I've searched everywhere and can't figure out how to re-install hydra. The Tivo site now says I don't have any eligible boxes for "early upgrade" I don't have the upgrade "app" in the app section either. I did a clear and reset everything but it puts Gen 3 back on that box.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I rolled both of my boxes back to Gen 3. I've decided I'd like to put Hydra back on my secondary box just to keep up with it's progress. I have two questions. 1) If both DVRs are on different software can I still view (not transfer) recordings that I recorded on the other box? 2. I've searched everywhere and can't figure out how to re-install hydra. The Tivo site now says I don't have any eligible boxes for "early upgrade" I don't have the upgrade "app" in the app section either. I did a clear and reset everything but it puts Gen 3 back on that box.
I took a week after I downgraded a Roamio to 20.7.4 before it reappeared on the upgrade site. Yes, you can watch content on either box. The Hydra box has your other TiVo under Devices, not My Shows.

The shortcut is in this post if you need it -> Upgrade URL to get the New TiVo Experience

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking for a little help. I "upgraded" to Hydra and my wife and I don't like it. We prefer the classic Tivo interface. I've attempted to rollback following the directions given and the top of this thread to no avail. Two thumbs down, and when I hit the rewind and then select I get the "bong" each time I press those buttons (not the same "bong" as the thumbs down). The software version is 21.7.2.RC14-848-6-848.

Thanks for any assistance.

I'll save my opinions of why we don't like it on another thread.

EDIT: Nevermind. I re-read this thread, found to put the remote in IR mode. That worked. Downgrade in Progress!!!

Also, rewind is << not 8 second replay. Duh.

181 - 200 of 735 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.