TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Isn't PyTivo supposed to be able to transfer pc to tivo using Gen3? How do you do that? Since I cannot transfer some old recordings to my XL4, but they do download via KMTTG, can't I then shoot them up to my XL4 from my PC? I looked to see if this could be done with KMTTG, but was told it does not have that function. No wonder I couldn't find it...LOL

Thanks
pyTiVo and pyTiVo Desktop are two-way; kmttg is one-way (TiVo-to-PC).
Where are some simple instructions, please? The help thread is 71 pages and his link to his website is not very helpful. Thanks.
IMO, @wmcbrine pyTiVo and @moyekj kmttg are 'Advanced / Expert-Level' programs and @Dan203 pyTiVo Desktop is the 'Follow the Wizard' version - i.e. you can (just about) CLICK on the pyTiVo Desktop install program and EVERYTHING will be set up for you (DO NOT INSTALL AS A SERVICE!!!).

pyTiVo and kmttg need lots of pre-install reading, accompanying manual install of required packages, and, for kmttg, substantial post-install reading of the EXCELLENT, well-maintained Wiki. While pyTiVo Desktop does simplify the installation of pyTiVo-like functionality, nothing comes close to the versatility of kmttg.

Transferring shows between TiVo-to-PC and then back PC-to-TiVo SUCCESSFULLY is NOT a cut-and-dry 'simple' process - there are many pitfalls, seldom discussed nowadays (maybe they were when pyTiVo and kmttg were first introduced years ago). If you wish to learn more and are willing to invest several hours / days of your time, SEARCH TCF for my UserID posts from May/June 2017 discussing:
  • TS Sync Errors (vs Closed Caption Errors)
  • TS 'Fast' Format Transfers vs PS 'Slow' Format Transfers
  • "0x47 every 188"
Like the saying "Fast, Good, Cheap - Pick Two", if you're in a hurry / are impatient, try pyTiVo Desktop. For more features, try kmttg (w/VideoReDo). Once you begin reading, you'll have a better understanding but, IMO, no one can give you a complete education / picture in one or two posts - you need to invest the time.

Best of Luck! :)

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
...I don't want to spend days researching pytivo and kmttg and more days transferring the recordings...
Pretty much closing all your doors here, aren't you?

...I want to roll back my roamio but I want to keep all my recordings, onepasses, thumb ratings etc.
How many recordings are you talking about? And how many of them are shows that are copy protected, those cannot be transferred to a PC?
How many came from H.264 source material?

TS 'Fast' Format Transfer is required for H.264 source material but is known for TS Sync Errors. Use PS 'Slow' Format Transfer if possible.

...I probably should have pulled my drive and cloned it before moving to hydra...
Wouldn't have helped - HDDs are 'married' to motherboards and motherboards store the software version.

Sit back, take some deep breaths and decide - if you want to keep your non-protected recordings, you're going to have to invest some time. And, TiVo units transfer best when idle / in Standby mode (all of the CPU is dedicated to the encrypting required for TiVo-to-PC transfers).

Now, whether or not you could buy another TiVo on gen3 and transfer the non-protected recordings there, someone more knowledgeable than me on gen4 would have to reply.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
...the new UI does not have the look and feel of an upgrade, more has the feel of a switch to an existing UI from another product...
Within the past few weeks, we experienced a night (Prime Time) without SkipMode - once on CBS, then on NBC - so I watched a few commercials. IIRC, one was for FireTV and a couple were for ISPs. The *FIRST* thought that came to my mind was Gen4 / Hydra - they all look so similar (lots of pictures, minimal text). Even Kodi and the Plex client are full of pictures. It "must" be what the "people" (not this Baby Boomer) want... :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.