TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Where are some simple instructions, please? The help thread is 71 pages and his link to his website is not very helpful. Thanks.
There aren't any, unfortunately. But hopefully, you will find the few settings and operations easy enough to scan through and complete, and people are more than willing to explain any matter at the thread. And the installation itself is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
There are not a 'myriad' of issues. There are a handful of issues mentioned over and over again, in multiple threads, by professional backseat beta testers with 20/20 hindsight.
Sorry, but that's not a fair characterization. Instead, the issues are being detected my numerous consumers, many upon a new box purchase, who enjoy their boxes and simply want them to work well. Nothing "20/20 hindsight" about it--it's from regular use, and almost immediately. Nor is there/should there be anything "beta" about it--the UI formally was released.

And if the OP believes that he/she encountered a "myriad" of issues, I'm not sure that any of us not familiar with what the OP found can disagree with the OP's experience.
VOLUNTARY testing.
But Hydra wasn't released as a beta product, was it? Certainly not for those consumers who purchased a Vox box and had their boxes install it automatically. And many of whom would have no idea that it's "voluntary," without researching here or elsewhere or contacting TiVo support as to how to revert to the earlier software.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I recently joined this forum just to post to this thread. I have been visiting it for years for tips and tricks for my TiVo.

I noticed the "try the new experience" message about six weeks ago. I decided to give it a try despite the "this cannot be undone" message, mostly because I assumed the new experience would eventually be mandatory. So I installed Hydra and used it for a couple weeks. I didn't think it was too bad, although I preferred the old UI, probably because I was more familiar with it.

Anyway, after a couple weeks I tried loading shows from my computer to my TiVo Romioa OTA. When I couldn't get it to work, I came here hoping to find some help, and found this thread and learned that feature was removed from Hydra. Needless to say I rolled back immediately. THANK YOU for posting the roll back instructions!

I am still surprised that feature was removed since the folks from TiVo read this forum and know how popular pYtivo and other, similar apps are for transferring shows to and from a TiVo device. A classic case of a company not understanding its customer. TiVo, please be sure to add that feature to Hydra.
From what I read, TiVo didn't remove the feature as much as not pay attention to it (resulting in the same end). :(

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Hmmm. Would this be the solution to the Bolt - TIVI Suggestions no longer works problem?. I never owned a Romeo but I've had 2 Premiers and you can actually view and edit your Thumbs ratings. Does the Romeo have that capability?
BTW, for those of you who don't what I'm talking about. The BOLT no longer records 'Suggestions' based on YOUR thumbs ratings, but rather, it records programs that are popular among all TIVO users. In other words, a whole lot of crap recordings, tieing up your channels and stressing your HD.
I believe the Hydra system incorporates your thumbs, but then lots of other stuff, as you note.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
My first attempt failed. I performed a restart then waited 30 minutes for it to finish the service connection. When I tried again, I don't think I even hit OK/S before it started the rollback. I was pleased to see the "Get New Experience" app show up also. And like was posted, give it a few tries. Don't give up until tomorrow.
Such a motto. ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Is there a reason we can't plug a thumb drive into a Bolt and xfer recordings to it? Are they afraid we are going to start pirating stuff? Selling DVDs on the street in the Bronx?
My original TiVo box, a Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box, indeed has a DVD recorder/player built into it, and I can burn a TiVo show onto a DVD (I'm OTA and have no copy-protection issues) which will play universally. Thumb-drive capability would be nice--my guess is, TiVo didn't see a great consumer need (plus the cost) for that as thumb drives became more prevalent, perhaps influenced by its majority cableco base. And then, at no further hardware cost, TiVo boxes had the capability to transfer non-copy-protected shows to a PC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.