TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
610 Posts
Isn't dd_rescue already on the Knoppix CD?

Knoppix is a very big download (although it's a very easy way to get some Linux experience - it doesn't involve modifying your PC by installing stuff on the hard drive, everything runs from the CD). There are a lot of 'live' Linux boot CD's, many of which are much smaller than Knoppix.

I don't know which ones have dd_rescue, but I suspect at least some of the discs in the 'rescue' category will have it.

A bit more research reveals it's definitely on RIP, which is a 25Mb download.

· Registered
610 Posts
drdarren: It sounds like your console isn't set up quite right. It's just an aesthetic problem, though - the command is being accepted correct. (You can try pressing Ctrl-L to clear the screen).

SM: The log files aren't a vital part of the copy process, they just tell you what happened. The only real test is when the copied drive goes into the TiVo.

Knoppix has pretty good USB support, so you may well be able to access a USB drive. I've no idea which device node you'd mount, though.

If you write the log file to somewhere in one of the RAM drives (/tmp or /var/tmp), you can review the log with more or vi before you switch off the machine.

· Registered
610 Posts
10000.0k, xferd

Is it just me, or is that a locked drive?

I asked Lou to put dd_rescue on his LBA-48 upgrade CD. That one should unlock the drive (as long as it's a Quantum), which might make things easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.