TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 6 year old WD My DRV expander drive. It doesn't sound healthy, it's started whinny this week. It's been running 24/7 for 6 years so I'm not surprise. It's attached to a 2 year old Bolt. The Expander going to be a major problem soon as it's having trouble spinning up correctly with power interruptions and any movement. I like having the extra disk capacity on my TiVo. I can't find a new WD DRV Expander that are on TIVO Compatible list. What I found are WD expander not on the list that cost $300 and up. A lot more than the $112 I pay 6 years ago. I'm thinking of swapping out the Expander disk drive and been reading through posts pointing to replacement drive. What drive do I get. I crossing my fingers it's the drive and not the wires or capacitor making the noise. What WD drive is available today that will work in the old enclosure ? I'm understand and ok with resetting my tivo and lose all my old recordings.
I think the correct order is to this is: reset the tivo bolt, unplug the Expander, restart the bolt without the expansion drive(making sure it's running), replace the drive in the Expander. But what format do I initial the replacement drive using my mac? Then plug it into the Bolt, setup the Expander as new and cross my fingers. Is that correct? Could really use some expert advice here. Tivo support says they no longer support Expanders. Why is there eSATA port on the Bolt if it's not supported? Thank in advance.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
The drive format is not relevant, because if your TiVo would accept the expander, the drive would be formatted by the TiVo upon first use. But except for the original Series 3, only certain expander hardware is accepted by the TiVo firmware. You are just out of luck as far as expansion drives go, your only option to expand storage is to use a larger internal drive, as many people have done. And there is really nothing you can do to fix a failing hard drive, when it's done it's done.

The reason there is an external port is that at one time it sounded like a good idea to TiVo to that they could make money selling expansion units. But once they were out in the hands of users, they discovered that expansion drives were so unreliable that they weren't worth the trouble, particularly since failure would cause all recordings to be lost.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,195 Posts
Swapping the internal drive is also much safer for shows then a 2 drive system because of the way Tivo stores them. Its spread between the 2 drives so if either drive or equipment fails, shows are lost.

Bolts use 2.5" laptop drives which can also be just as unreliable.

Reactions: jrtroo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying. I guess its time to give up on the Expander box before it mess up my 2 year old Bolt. I wasn't aware how lucky my Expander worked for 6 years. I did find the eSATA cable sensitive, fussy and difficult to keep correctly seated. If I want to replace the Bolt drive with a larger drive, what do I buy? Thanks

·
Chill- its just TV
5,097 Posts
Another vote for replacing. Super easy. YouTube has videos to follow. If you need to save some shows you can do that to a pc. If you have cable, you'll need to repair the card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.