TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
14,726 Posts
You just buy a cheap 8 port switch and hook that to the powerline adapter and then the Tivo and Roku into the switch, it'll work fine.

But what's the reason you're not using wifi? "potential problems" is pretty vague.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,726 Posts
I'm confused - why would you want to connect a Roku with ethernet. You connect a Roku to an HDTV with HDMI. The ethernet connection is to the router or switch for updates.
You need to connect the Roku to the network somehow...

I reason for not trying wifi, is because I have read that it's not a reliable signal source. Is this true?

Is it true that using Netflix etc. via the Tivo (Roamio) is also not that reliable? At times there is a tendency for buffering? Before I purchased the Tivo, I had my bluray player connected to Netflix. In that situation I never got any buffering. Can you explain the reason for this?
If your Bluray player was able to stream acceptably I'd try the Roku on wifi.
However connected via ethernet, even if by powerline will be more stable and faster no matter what and the switch will cost you under $50, but wifi might very well work ok for you, if it doesn't it cost you nothing and you can buy a switch.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,726 Posts
Well, while technically off topic, he wasn't hijacking someone else's thread. It was HIS thread to begin with.

I'm just saying...
Still not cool since it doesn't match the OP's title or problem at all and comes completely out of left field. We're happy to help the OP with their issue, but they turned the thread into a rant instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.