TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,352 Posts
dsm42 said:
I got a new 750G DB35 drive and attempted to copy my orig 250G drive to it, but when I installed the 750G drive it made loud clicking noises and didn't boot, and is now on it's way back to be replaced. So I re-installed the orig 250G drive, and got this problem with the cable cards...

I'll try LCD1080's suggestion if I can reach someone at Comcast who can do it.

But I'm worried that when I get my 750G drive replaced, and then do the upgrade, I'll have this same problem again and have to get it fixed again. But if I don't get it fixed now, I'll be without Tivo/Cable for a week. What a pain!

In any case, thanks for the suggestions so far!
Dave.
I had to be re-paired to get it working again. (Scientific Atlanta CC's). Ive upgraded twice but only had to re-pair once. The first time I used Bumwine method to go from 250 to 500G. 500G drive booted and ran fine with no TWC intervention. The 250 went on the shelf for 6 months. Then I got a 1TB Hitachi. I put the 250 back in to update FW and get all my Season Passes in order before copying it but found that I lost pairing. I then put the 500 back in and all worked fine. So I went ahead and used Bumwine and copied the 250 to the 1TB. Then I had to contact TWC and have them do a compete re-pairing. All is well now.

It seems (speculation) that there is data that changes periodically and is stored on the HDD. If a particluar HDD has been out for enough time and the data changes... its re-pair time.

What brand cablecards? That may make a difference (again speculation)

· Registered
2,352 Posts
pl1 said:
But, notice that the OP lost his pairing from the original 250g right away. So, most likely, it was not a periodic change. My guess is that the 750g did not take the image properly (which is stating the obvious) and a new hardware pairing for the machine was established. Since the machine pairing changed, the old hdd would no longer match, and now the cableco isn't paired when either drive installed.
Yes, I noticed that. Its different than my experience. OP didnt say whose cablecards it was which could be a difference.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
pl1 said:
Also, it sounds as though you could have taken an image of the 500g drive and copied that to the new drive since the 500g was still functioning correctly. But, I am very surprised that your original 250g would not have worked if the 500g was truly an image. From everything I've read, a drive image will always work. But, maybe, the image has to be taken and used within a certain period of time, like you are suggesting.
I dont believe that would work. I believe you can only 'expand' capacity via MFSTOOLs once. The 500G would be a direct copy of the 250G original PLUS the expanded partition. To do as you suggest would result in two expansion partitons which I dont believe is allowed.... However.... I cant state that with absolute certainty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.