TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
I do think the Bolt from a performance stand point is a worth upgrade from a Romio and Premiere. It's just the other issues with it that have been gone over in this thread. Luckily most of the downsides of the Bolt can be remedied if you really want to.

Just getting the hard drive out of the bolt case makes a huge difference. I just ran a regular SATA cable (NOT an eSATA) out the back to a 3.5" drive that I just sat on the shelf behind the Tivo. The hard drive is powered from an external power supply. I was cleaning out stuff in my basement and came across an old dead Premier so, I think I'm going to put the guts from the Bolt in the Premiere case. I'll be able to get the hard drive and the Bolt's guts in to the same case, get rid of that ugly white case with it's crease or whatever the heck it is, utilize the much larger fan in the Premiere case (and power it from the HD power supply to get rid of the aforementioned whine from the motherboard fan power header) and streamline things in my AV stack again.

Tivo was so close to having the perfect Tivo but for the horrible case they put the bolt in - along with the whole move to 2.5" hard drives. Just bonkers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.