TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
I bought a 2TB 4-tuner model from WeaKnees about two years ago. It immediately demonstrated more sensitivity to minor power fluctuations than any other product I'd ever owned, spontaneously rebooting as if possessed. Replacing an old surge protector fixed that, but no other component on the same protector had any problem, including all sorts of video and hi-fi boxes.

It was also noisier than it should have been, and within a year the noise (from a buzzing board component and the fan) was unbearable. I put it in the server closet where I don't have to listen to it, to just let it die a peaceful death while we access it with Minis, rather than send it in for repair ...regardless of warranty; I was too busy to deal with it. If it lasts in there three years I won't consider repairing it. The server closet is well-ventilated, and I elevated the Bolt for good measure.

A few times the Minis couldn't find it. I disabled the power-saving mode, and we haven't had that problem since. We can't browse the multiple tuners with Minis, but aside from that we're happier with it locked in the dungeon, um, I mean closet. Mostly. Luckily our main workhorse here is a Roamio Pro.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
Replacement Bolt Vox #5 is on its way. This is simply the most unreliable piece of gear I've ever had, ANY power outage kills it even when plugged into UPS (?). My ancient Premiere XL4 just keeps on going though
Something isn't right. I've used seven or eight Bolts since October 2015. I've used them in multiple locations, on multiple APC UPSs. I have never had any of the Bolts go down during a power outage while the APC UPSs were supplying power.

Are these all Bolts from 2018 or later? Maybe something changed with the later Bolts? All the Bolts I used were manufactured between 2015 and 2017.
The Bolt here was purchased in 2015, and has been more sensitive to minor power fluctuations than anything I've ever owned. It also has defective parts that make it very noisy. We recently retired a Premier XL and two HDs that were still running fine, just older and slower. In our experience the Roamio Pro was the best TiVo ever made, and is the last reliable model. More on our Bolt here: https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/i...

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
Fortunately, like @aaronwt, I have had none of those issues; knock wood, 2 years up and running, and no noise issue (the sound is slightly different, but generally no more apparent, than that from my Roamio box--I can recall hearing the (original) fan from across the room perhaps a couple of times). I have my Bolt box (as well as my Roamio box) on water bottle cap risers.
I would hope and expect that most Bolts work OK. It seems to be a rule of the internetz that unhappy customers are more likely to post, but when it comes to Bolts we are an unusually high percentage. Until the Bolt the only hardware troubles I'd reported over ten years, with four previous base units and three Minis, were due to Comcast and cablecards. Later I finally zapped a Mini, but that was my fault.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
Did your 3TB drive from Weaknees arrive "Brand New Sealed"? Specifically, did it arrive in a factory-sealed anti-static bag that you had to cut/tear open? or was it in a ziplock-sealed anti-static bag? or was it in an unsealed anti-static bag whose open end was simply folded over and taped? or something else?
unsealed anti-static bag whose open end was simply folded over and taped
That raises an interesting question: does a 3TB drive still require special preparation? I believe formatting before installation is only necessary for Premier or older models, or for drives larger than 3 TB in a Roamio or a recent-model Bolt. Or am I oversimplifying?

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
I recently retired our Bolt for the reasons of noise and instability mentioned above. It was on an annual plan. One Lifetime Roamio Pro is now at the center of our system. But before I took the Bolt offline for good, I decided to see if I could make it quieter.

The fan had developed a clicking noise early on. I replaced that with a stock model fan, which fixed the clicking noise, but still found the new fan too noisy. I then tried a Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XS-2, but there's no way around it: that crazy case simply requires a tiny fan and will always be too noisy. I could mod it with a larger fan, but I have better things to do.

Even worse, the noise I thought was a buzzing board component turned out to be a small screw or chunk of solder rolling around under the main board. Apparently it was often vibrating along with the fan motor at times. I haven't bothered to take the board out to see what it is. I'm done.

All previous models were bedroom quiet. Not the Bolt. As I've often said, the Roamio line was the last great series produced by TiVo. If they can't get back to that quality — in hardware, software, guide data, advertising, etc. — well, we're ready here with a Channels DVR system running in parallel and ready to take over anytime.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
I am looking to upgrade from a Roamio to get 4k for my upcoming new TV. This thread is scaring me. You guys that have gone back to a Roamio, does not having 4K concern you? Of course some of you may not have 4K TVs, but I assume some do? My Roamio is awesome and I don't want to regret a change.
There's almost no 4K TV programming yet. Most of what little is out there is experimentation by a few cable companies. There's plenty of 4K streaming, but a Roamio - or any TiVo - is not the best choice for streaming.

I would stick with that Roamio for TV, and if your new TV doesn't have all the built-in apps you want then add a 4K model Fire, Roku, Apple, Nvidia, or etc. for streaming. Some 4K disc players also do double duty as 4K streamers.

But if you do still want to do it all with TiVo, skip the Bolt and take a risk on the Edge (but read the Edge threads first).

On a side note, would a new QLED 4K TV look any better than my 6 or so year old 1080P set on my Roamio?
The Roamio maxes out at 1080p, so that won't change on the new set even if the TV does upscaling, plus HDTV channels still broadcast at no more than 1080i and many are still on 720p. So again, that's not a concern for now and maybe you just want to wait on a new TiVo until the broadcast/cable industry catches up with streaming.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
My 2016(?) bolt is still alive, though I'm nervous.
I hope the edge is better designed (and still supports copying off shows)
The Edge may be better designed, but it's still early days so follow the Edge threads here carefully.

Downloads from an Edge to a computer were broken when the Edge was first released. That's listed in the first post of the Edge issues thread (see item #4), and I haven't continued to follow it. It may still be broken.

Uploads from a computer are not possible, because the Edge supports only TE4. So playing media from a computer would require an app like Plex, though I believe first transferring to a TE3 TiVo on the same network would also be a workaround. I have never run TE4.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
Yes, that is the thread I linked to above. Still early days for the Edge, so hard to answer questions about whether it's better than Bolt. At this time I don't plan to try one. My Bolt is now officially decommissioned, and one Roamio Pro is now serving the Minis here, all on TE3.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
The very first wave of Bolts seem to be reliable and quiet. Something went haywire in the 3rd year or so.
The Bolt were introduced in 2015 and I bought my flaky unit in the summer of 2016. It seems to me several different batches of production went awry throughout the product's life, in addition to fundamental flaws in the design that were consistent throughout.

Reactions: aaronwt

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
We just ordered a Bolt to arrive this weekend since we now have a 4K TV and their was a good deal on the unit and lifetime. We've had our Roamio Plus since 2013. But now I am reading about hard drive failures and getting hot should I be concerned. I didn't even know about the edge until I went to read up about the Bolt on Tivo's website. And usually we like to have the latest but deal on the Bolt was to good to pass up. I hope we don't have problems our Roamio is still working fine. Plus I'm reading a lot of people don't like TE4 now I am getting worried.
Every Bolt except the Bolt OTA can be "sidegraded" to TE3. You'll want to do that before you record anything, as recordings will be lost unless you back them up using pytivo or something.

None of the Edge models allow TE3, and my impression is that recent Bolts have fewer reliability problems while they're still getting the bugs out of the Edge models, so you probably will be happiest with your purchase.

Hang onto that Roamio Plus as long as you can though! I recently replaced the hard disk in our Roamio Pro, and otherwise it's still going strong. IMHO the Roamio series are the best DVRs TiVo has ever produced. The Bolts are faster though, especially for streaming.

Reactions: Mikeguy

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,852 Posts
If the hard drive was to fail with the one from the Roamio fit inside the bolt? Is that why you're saying hang on to the Roamio we're just hanging on to it in case anything happens to the bolt cuz the Roamio is so good?
Those hard drives are different, sorry. I'm saying hang onto the Roamio so you can swap it back in if the Bolt goes bad in multiple ways like mine. But don't let me jinx it! Lots of people are using Bolts without problems. You get a skewed view here because happy Bolt owners generally don't spend as much time on the internetz: they're busy happily watching their Bolts!

Reactions: Rose4uKY
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.