TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the average amount of disk space used per hour of Tivo Series 3 HD recording?

I have my S3 set to record the entire 24 hours of the Live Earth concert on the Unversal HD channel. :eek: Will it use about 250GB or what?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not sure, but the fact that you use a Tivo (and probably drive a car and shower) means you're heating the Earth and killing us all. :)

To add something useful, you're probably looking at about 6-7GB per hour, so your 250GB guess may be a little high.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
HaloBox said:
What's the average amount of disk space used per hour of Tivo Series 3 HD recording?

I have my S3 set to record the entire 24 hours of the Live Earth concert on the Unversal HD channel. :eek: Will it use about 250GB or what?
That depends on the 1) channel, 2) content, and 3) provider.

For example, UHD recordings on TWC consume significantly less space than they do on FiOS, because FiOS does not use extra compression (rate shaping) like Time Warner.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
marcdb said:
According to the Tivo website, you can record 32 hrs of HD. So, the math comes to 187.5GB for 24hrs. Since this is a live show, don't forget to add some cushion for it going over the 24hr alloted time.
I would go with that, but a better answer would require a little work.

There are a bunch of partitions including 2 complete copies of code (current and previous) and a swap partitiion, so 24 hours should take somewhat less than 187.5 GB. Additionally, a nominal 250 GB may actually be less than that. Given the actual capacity of stock drive and hours and actual capacity of upgraded internal drives and hours and some algebra can figure out the theoretical answer, but you're still left with the unknown bitrate of cable HD channels. HDNET requires full bitrate (or so Mark Cuban says), but I don't know about Universal HD. Of course, any lesser bitrate would take less space. All of the NBC-Universal HD channels probably use 1080i, not 720p. 720p would use a smaller bitrate.

Last time I checked Live Earth was only 22 hours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be recording from FIOS TV. The TiVo FIOS guide says 22 hours starting at 4am EST.

I have 750GB on tap right now so I should have enough. :D

It ought to be fascinating to watch the direction on this especially during overlaps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bkdtv said:
That depends on the 1) channel, 2) content, and 3) provider.

For example, UHD recordings on TWC consume significantly less space than they do on FiOS, because FiOS does not use extra compression (rate shaping) like Time Warner.
As an example, I recorder all 6 Star Wars last month on HBOHD, each lasts between 2 and 2.25 hours and each used between 8 and 10 gb of disk space.

With this in mind, your total usage could be as low as 120gb (approx), but this depends on compression, etc as above.

·
What happened, TiVo?
3,638 Posts
Discovery is one of the higher bandwidth channels (HBO is one of the lowest). Discovery uses 8-10GB per hour.

What's "Live Earth"? I'm too lazy to look it up...

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
vstone said:
Last time I checked Live Earth was only 22 hours.
liveearth.org says 9am-2am est. (Hmm, I could swear my Tivos' Bravo schedules don't have the same times.. I thought it had only 1 8 hour slot and another 7 hour slot following it.)

Argh.. I guess I'm going to be archiving a lot off on my non-Tivo recorder.. (so I can easily record the whole thing, edit out the good musical bits, and burn to DVD..
But maybe it'll come out on DVD soon?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.