TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,157 Posts
Ruth said:
I tried renting a movie using Unbox. Well, I tried to try it, anyway. The movie (1 hr. 44 min. long) took more than 10 hours to make its way onto my TiVo. (Not sure how long in all, as I ended up going to bed without watching the movie.)
My connection isn't the quickest, I know, but I do have broadband internet. I was hoping the movies would only take a couple hours at the most, so you could order a movie in the early afternoon and watch it that night. Obviously with a 10+ hour DL time that's not possible. Is it normal for it to take so long? How can I speed it up?
All the above advice is good but you didn't mention what type of wireless network you have...802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n.

802.11b = 11Mbps - Older technology; signal range is good and not easily obstructed.
802.11g = 54Mbps - Fast maximum speed; signal range is good and not easily obstructed.
802.11n = 100+Mbps - Fastest maximum speed and best signal range; more resistant to signal interference from outside sources.

Having a bigger "pipe" may help, particularly with reducing lost packets and reconnects. Routers using 802.11g technology are dirt cheap now that "n' has become the standard and “n” routers aren’t that expensive so you might want to look into upgrading your network if you haven't already.

We have a wired connection for our S3 and Unbox movies generally download in about 20 or 30 minutes. We have wireless for our DT S2 but I haven’t tried downloading Unbox videos to it. However with our 802.11n network other programming (TiVoCasts, etc.) seem to download very quickly.

I see by today’s e-mail that we can now sign up to rent Unbox movies directly from the TiVo box! Woo hoo! :up:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.