TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried renting a movie using Unbox. Well, I tried to try it, anyway. The movie (1 hr. 44 min. long) took more than 10 hours to make its way onto my TiVo. (Not sure how long in all, as I ended up going to bed without watching the movie.)

My connection isn't the quickest, I know, but I do have broadband internet. I was hoping the movies would only take a couple hours at the most, so you could order a movie in the early afternoon and watch it that night. Obviously with a 10+ hour DL time that's not possible. Is it normal for it to take so long? How can I speed it up?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
First and foremost, you should use an online app to check your connection speeds. Connection speed really has the most to do with it.

I ordered 3 movies the other night (99 cent deals) one took about 2 hours, the other 4 hours and the last took about 1.5 hours. The seem to vary greatly which I assume is related to bandwidth and popularity of the download on Amazon's end of the tube.

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
Ruth said:
I tried renting a movie using Unbox. Well, I tried to try it, anyway. The movie (1 hr. 44 min. long) took more than 10 hours to make its way onto my TiVo. (Not sure how long in all, as I ended up going to bed without watching the movie.)

My connection isn't the quickest, I know, but I do have broadband internet. I was hoping the movies would only take a couple hours at the most, so you could order a movie in the early afternoon and watch it that night. Obviously with a 10+ hour DL time that's not possible. Is it normal for it to take so long? How can I speed it up?
Unbox on TiVo videos are encoded at 2800kbps for a point of reference. The FAQ mentions that a first time download may take somewhat longer than normal. My experience with a 6mbps connection was a bit faster than realtime (ie. >2800kbps)

·
Registered
28,665 Posts
My first download took about 4 hours. The ones after that have taken less than half that, I think the latest one took about 1.5 hours.

I have Cox cable internet and seem to have around 8 Mbit speed, and I use wireless 802.11b with about 50% connection strength, so not really optimal conditions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ruth my first download took along time as well. My other downloads however have taken about two hours. I downloaded my first unbox movie over wireless my others have been over wired connection. Wired and wireless makes a big difference.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TiVoStephen said:
Ruth, you using wired or wireless? If wireless, what's the connection quality percent?

The vast majority of our customers are able to make downloads in about real time +/- 10%.
I am on a wireless connection using the TiVo wireless adapter. While it seems to fluctuate quite a bit, the TiVo generally reports signal strength as "excellent," with a percentage typically between 85-94%. Unfortunately with the layout of my house, moving to a wired setup is not an option.

Interesting that the first DL may be significantly slower than subsequent ones. I'll try another soon and see if there is a big improvement.

·
I can't explain
19,455 Posts
TiVoStephen said:
Ruth, you using wired or wireless? If wireless, what's the connection quality percent?

The vast majority of our customers are able to make downloads in about real time +/- 10%.
at first I had this problem of downlaods taking far too long, but the last 5 or so downlaods have taken way less than realtime. Love those 99 cent rentals

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts
Why would the first one take longer..........

·
I'm back!
36,131 Posts
It might just be related to network capacity at the server end originally vs. now.

Last time I checked I was getting just about real time on a wireless connection to a cable modem that generally measures at around 3.1 Mbps - not that that means I can stream or begin viewing midway through the DL, mind you...

·
formerly TiVoOpsMgr
1,354 Posts
Not quite sure which FAQ HDTiVo refers to (and maybe there's something I'm overlooking), but the overall speed of the first vs. second download should not be very different.

Ruth, sounds like you have a good connection. Short of your ISP service level (what service tier you have from your DSL or cable provider), the one thing I'd recommend is making sure there are no other big downloads taking place (such as on your computer) and try moving the wireless adapter's antenna as close to the signal source as possible.

A big variable is time of day; for many ISPs, performance can greatly vary between peak and non-peak hours.

·
Go Pats!
10,354 Posts

·
Lucky (?) 200 member
285 Posts
Ruth said:
My connection isn't the quickest, I know, but I do have broadband internet.
Might help to know specifically what type of broadband and the advertised speed -- there are orders of magnitude difference in speed between IDSL and FiOS.

And it might also help to try a few of the "broadband speed test" sites out there to see if you're actually getting the speed you're paying for.

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
TiVoStephen said:
the one thing I'd recommend is making sure there are no other big downloads taking place (such as on your computer)
I'd second this, and also mention any other transfer over your wireless network might impact speed. I've had one movie take close to 24 hours on my B network, but I had been transferring several files to the TiVo at the same time using Comeback (or whatever this feature is called now). I've also seen it slow down considerably when I've just maintained an active VPN connection to work.

I've downloaded quite a few movies and shows over the last few weeks though, and pretty much everything seems to have come in around 3-4 hours for a two hour movie. I'm on 3mbps cable connection, but usually get considerably slower speeds than this.

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
TiVoStephen said:
Not quite sure which FAQ HDTiVo refers to (and maybe there's something I'm overlooking), but the overall speed of the first vs. second download should not be very different.
Item #4 of the Amazon Unbox FAQ accessible via the HME interface.

Forget the details, just tell us when we can rent some hi-def DVD quality movies for $.99...

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Ruth said:
All the above advice is good but you didn't mention what type of wireless network you have...802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n.

802.11b = 11Mbps - Older technology; signal range is good and not easily obstructed.
802.11g = 54Mbps - Fast maximum speed; signal range is good and not easily obstructed.
802.11n = 100+Mbps - Fastest maximum speed and best signal range; more resistant to signal interference from outside sources.

Having a bigger "pipe" may help, particularly with reducing lost packets and reconnects. Routers using 802.11g technology are dirt cheap now that "n' has become the standard and “n” routers aren’t that expensive so you might want to look into upgrading your network if you haven't already.

We have a wired connection for our S3 and Unbox movies generally download in about 20 or 30 minutes. We have wireless for our DT S2 but I haven’t tried downloading Unbox videos to it. However with our 802.11n network other programming (TiVoCasts, etc.) seem to download very quickly.

I see by today’s e-mail that we can now sign up to rent Unbox movies directly from the TiVo box! Woo hoo! :up:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Connections speeds can depend on a lot of factors outside of your control. The best you could do is verify that the slowdown is not originating in your home. Check everything connected to your network and make sure nothing is using bandwidth behind the scenes.

People here have given good suggestions for things to check and a link on how to check your broadban bandwidth/speed.

Another question: do you have a VoIP phone? If so, your router may be configured to reserve bandwidth for the phone in order to maintain a consistent quality/experience when in use.

My own Unbox experience has varied widely. The first time that I rented 3 movies at noon they all downloaded by the evening. :cool: But, the last time I rented 3 movies at noon only one had completed download by the evening. :confused:

·
I'm back!
36,131 Posts
wilrod said:
Another question: do you have a VoIP phone? If so, your router may be configured to reserve bandwidth for the phone in order to maintain a consistent quality/experience when in use.
Bandwidth settings for VOIP (Quality of Service / QoS) affect the upstream pipe but not the downstream. The home router doesn't do anything to prioritize downstream traffic (e.g., Unbox programs vs. VOIP or something else).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.