TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running dd to copy my Tivo's 120gig Samsung SP1213N to another identical drive. I set the blocksize in dd to 32k and the two drives are on the same IDE channel (mistake maybe?)

So far it's been running for about 16 hours. Of course dd isn't the most communicative bit of software around, so I've no idea how much longer it's likely to take or, indeed, if it's just hung and will never finish.

Can anyone tell me how much longer it's likely to be. Tempted to try Ghost at this rate...

Thanks,

Mike

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert, but I guess dd is a Linux copy utility. I chose to use dd because I wanted a complete clone of my Tivo's disk and it seemed the easiest way to get there.

17 hours and counting... :(

Mike

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panic over :)

It's just finished. It took just over 17 hours in total. I've checked that the drives are configured to use ATA133. The dd command line I used was one that I've seen quoted here a couple of times:-

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=32k conv=noerror,sync

Thanks to all for your help

Mike

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd heartily recommend not using dd but using dd_rescue instead
Yes, given the time that dd took to complete, I think I'll be using dd_rescue next time - if only because I understand it provides some sort of indication of progress. I was very close to hitting control-C on several occasions because I was convinced that it wasn't running...

Fortunately, the bad-block handling capabilities of dd wasn't an issue - I'd already checked that the drive was error-free.

Thanks again for your help

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.