TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just called retention and was authorized a free DVR (see here for details on calling and asking). They told me they could not guarentee what it would be (but I'm sure it will be an R15 which I don't want at this time), so they offered to allow me to go purchase whatever DVR I want and they would give me an instant credit to my account for $99 after I activate it...

So, now I'm shopping... I'm looking at getting a DVR80 (probably from ValueElectronics, but I think my Circuit City has DVR80's also) or similar Series 2 DirecTiVo with the the goal of buying another one in a couple of weeks after this one (or I may just get them both at the same time... Haven't decided (or worked it all out with my wife yet :rolleyes: )). The goal will be to then zipper these boxes.

My question is, I have two Series 1 DTiVos now that would be replaced by the DVR80s... Can these (The old Series 1s) be hacked and added into MRV and stuff (sorry, this may be a very basic question, but I haven't followed what all is possible on the older Series 1's). I know I'd have to get a proper NIC card for them that will work, but I'm curious what can be done (I assume the zipper doesn't work on Series 1, so I assume its more work to do these). Is it worth putting them in a room on a shelf hacked up (I would not have them tied into the sat signal though, so only what is on them now or what I could move over to them as archivers or somesuch)? Or would I be better off just selling them on eBay?

·
Just a boring dude
32,054 Posts
a series one can pretty much be used for everything a S2 can except for HMO/MRV

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... So I wouldn't be able to share programming from a Series 1 to the other Series 2's in the house? This seems to severly limit what I was thinking they could be used for then...

I guess maybe I should ask... If others ahve both Series 2's and Series 1's in their homes, what are you doing with the Series 1's? Are they active receivers then?

·
Just a boring dude
32,054 Posts
Mike
you can do that thingy we aren't allowed to talk about here with teh series 1 shows and send them to the series 2's with tivoserver, but you can't watch shows from a series 2 on a series 1.
Think of it as 1 way MRV :)

·
King of the North
8,667 Posts
Gunnyman said:
Mike
you can do that thingy we aren't allowed to talk about here with teh series 1 shows and send them to the series 2's with tivoserver, but you can't watch shows from a series 2 on a series 1.
Think of it as 1 way MRV :)
But if they aren't hooked to sat, then a very limited one way MRV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts