TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
I know it's not my story to tell but if it was... Viserys would have pimp slapped Daemon for violating his banishment and locked him in a cold, dark tower somewhere.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
I know it's not my story to tell but if it was... Viserys would have pimp slapped Daemon for violating his banishment and locked him in a cold, dark tower somewhere.
Well, he loves his brother and it is a family celebration. He's just a nice guy.

I'm going out on a limb and say that Daemon's late wife is going to be the most beloved character on this show. I really wish she had had a bigger role but I did love every second she was on screen!

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
I honestly feel like these 5 episodes should have been slowed down and some characters flushed out a bit more and made the entire first season getting to where we are today. It's all so rushed with the time jumps and the lack of character details. Sigh.
I think one problem is that it's based on a "history book," not a novel; the pacing is dictated by how much time they have to cover to get anywhere.

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
House of the Dragon is good but it has nowhere near the grand scale that Game of Thrones had. Everything is centered around a small core of people and locations as if the budget is much lower for HotD.

Reactions: Robin

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,065 Posts
I think one problem is that it's based on a "history book," not a novel; the pacing is dictated by how much time they have to cover to get anywhere.
Based on the history book, they should still be able to expand on things a bit more than they are, no? They could have filled in the blanks with the help of GRRM, who is on site when they are writing/filming, I heard. I dunno. I like the show but it's just not living up to GOT so far. Also where are my dragons!? :D

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Based on the history book, they should still be able to expand on things a bit more than they are, no? They could have filled in the blanks with the help of GRRM, who is on site when they are writing/filming, I heard. I dunno. I like the show but it's just not living up to GOT so far. Also where are my dragons!? :D
Problem is, if they expand on things then they won't get anywhere in the story.

This is a story that takes place over years, decades even. So they can either race through time, or have entire seasons go by where nothing happens.

Not saying you're wrong; but this is the story they decided to tell, and it's really one that's more suited to a book than to a TV show.

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,065 Posts
Problem is, if they expand on things then they won't get anywhere in the story.

This is a story that takes place over years, decades even. So they can either race through time, or have entire seasons go by where nothing happens.

Not saying you're wrong; but this is the story they decided to tell, and it's really one that's more suited to a book than to a TV show.
I see. I guess that makes sense but doesn't make me happy. I just hope they can find a way to get through everything they need to tell while not continuing to make me feel like they are rushing so badly.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
I see. I guess that makes sense but doesn't make me happy. I just hope they can find a way to get through everything they need to tell while not continuing to make me feel like they are rushing so badly.
I guess they thought the time jumps were a good way to get through the story at a reasonable pace. They might have overestimated their writing skills...

It almost "reads" like the CliffsNotes for a much longer series.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
Ser Cole losing it made no sense to me. And why was Laenor's boyfriend at the wedding let alone walking in with them when they were announced?? And speaking of Ser Cole, does anyone else see the resemblance to Ser Christopher of House Saprono? :giggle:

And will we refer to this episode as the Green Wedding? ;)
I do wonder if Alicent put him up to it, maybe a blackmail scenario. Remember that her dad was disgraced by being removed as hand. Dad spoke with her, then she speaks with Ser Cole and Ser Cole gets rebuffed by Rhaenyra (which may or may not been his last ditch effort to avoid doing this). His choice going after Joffrey the lover of her betrothed could be a way to attempt to nix the wedding, perhaps outing Laenor in the process, and putting the house into termoil, in which daddy could fill the power vacuum.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,088 Posts
This show‘s just not doing it for me. I’m ready for some more “The Nevers” and “His Dark Materials”.
After the season end reveal of The Nevers, I tagged out, not interested in the new direction.

• Sad
Reactions: astrohip

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,065 Posts
I do wonder if Alicent put him up to it, maybe a blackmail scenario. Remember that her dad was disgraced by being removed as hand. Dad spoke with her, then she speaks with Ser Cole and Ser Cole gets rebuffed by Rhaenyra (which may or may not been his last ditch effort to avoid doing this). His choice going after Joffrey the lover of her betrothed could be a way to attempt to nix the wedding, perhaps outing Laenor in the process, and putting the house into termoil, in which daddy could fill the power vacuum.
I can't imagine Alicent blackmailing or him accepting the blackmail terms. JMHO

·
UHDTV Snob
13,668 Posts
After thinking about it seems to me he felt threatened by Joffrey and his secret being out since he took a vow of chastity. He snapped and needed to shut him up. Of course regrets his decision and why he wanted to take his own life.

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
An absolute ton of information here. Lots of historical backstory. YMMV as to whether you think book information is spoilery. I don't.

Shoot, Rhaenyra and Laenor are already second cousins because they share great-grandparents in Jaehaerys and his wife Queen Alysanne. And that’s accounting for just their shared relations through Rhaenyra’s father in Viserys and Laenor’s mother in Rhaenys, respectively.
[snip]
One could easily argue that these two houses are already way too united in blood. If Rhaenyra understood anything about genetic erosion, she would have hightailed it to Essos with Ser Criston Cole in an instant.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
I don't think that's what they were going for. I think Ser Criston was feeling incredibly guilty about violating his oath. When he confessed to the Queen, he was expecting to be tortured and asked for a swift death sentence instead. She just allowed him to leave. So now he's stewing over whether the other shoe is going to drop at some point, and he's watching the woman he loves getting married, and then suddenly the boyfriend comes over and insinuates that they're both going to be side pieces to the royal couple and they should become friends and allies. Criston is already at the end of his rope due to the guilt and uncertainty about how the Queen is going to handle his confession, and then suddenly there's this random guy openly discussing his deeply shameful secret! It's not a surprise that Criston snapped when you look at it that way (although he probably shouldn't have done it in front of everyone). But I guess that's the nature of "snapping," you don't really get to decide when and where it happens.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts