TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
I thought this was a poor episode.

Daemon's wife is supposed to be an experienced horsewoman but gets thrown from her horse when Daemon looks at her funny.

Sick or not, why does King Viserys travel to his subject Corlys' castle? He's the king. His subjects travel to him. The marriage proposal negotiations could even have been done by messenger.

Things are obviously wrong with Viserys healthwise for a while but Rhaenyra has never seemed to give a crap.

The Alicent and Ser Criston Cole scene was ridiculous. She kept beating around the wrong bush but it was obvious that he was gong to confess to doing the deed with Rhynaera.

Laenor's boyfriend determining that Rhaenyra ra and Cole had done the deed just by looking at him was silly.

Cole turning the banquet into a Waffle House 2 am murderous brawl made little sense. He'd have had ample opportunity to kill Laenor's bf quietly later on. The fact that Alicent seemed to be the only one to go looking for the guy who ruined the ruling monarchs' party was unbelievable.

How would Handicapped Guy even know about the special tea given to Rhaenyra if the Grand Maester(?) delivered it himself? Did the GM snitch?

I'm guessing this episode was Alicent's heel run, to use a pro rasslin' term.

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
Most of your complaints are dead-on, but this one has been pretty much explained. Viserys dissed Corlys pretty badly by spurning his daughter for the help's kid. Corlys in turn joined a military alliance with Viserys's political rival and Rhaerys's rival for the throne. Now he desperately needs Corlys's cooperation to save his intended dynasty. Traveling to meet Corlys is a pretty immense show of respect, and would go a long way towards calming the troubled waters between them. Issuing a royal command for Corlys to come to him might only aggravate the situation. And a royal messenger could very well be ignored (and such messengers often bear the brunt of the recipient's displeasure in these kinds of society).
OK, I'll buy that.

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
Didn't Joffrey say that he could become Laenor's bodyguard like Cole was Rhaenyra's bodyguard while they were smooching in the grass? Unless that happened behind the scenes I don't think it happened by the time of the feast.

Cole asking Rhaenyra to abandon the throne with its untold riches, power and dragons to run off with him to be poor in the hinterlands was pretty dumb. I was proud of her when she basically said "Are you crazy?"

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
He was used to being poor and nameless so it made total sense from his point of view. He thought she really wanted freedom but in reality she wants to be who she is with the freedom to do what she wants on a whim. Sounds like a queen to me.
It would be like me asking Beyonce to renounce everything she has and will have and run off to a little farm in South Dakota with me. It ain't going to happen and I know it, just like Cristen Cole should have known the absurdity of it.

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
I know it's not my story to tell but if it was... Viserys would have pimp slapped Daemon for violating his banishment and locked him in a cold, dark tower somewhere.

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
House of the Dragon is good but it has nowhere near the grand scale that Game of Thrones had. Everything is centered around a small core of people and locations as if the budget is much lower for HotD.

Reactions: Robin

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
An absolute ton of information here. Lots of historical backstory. YMMV as to whether you think book information is spoilery. I don't.

Shoot, Rhaenyra and Laenor are already second cousins because they share great-grandparents in Jaehaerys and his wife Queen Alysanne. And that’s accounting for just their shared relations through Rhaenyra’s father in Viserys and Laenor’s mother in Rhaenys, respectively.
[snip]
One could easily argue that these two houses are already way too united in blood. If Rhaenyra understood anything about genetic erosion, she would have hightailed it to Essos with Ser Criston Cole in an instant.

·
Meh.
40,870 Posts
Wasn't his father the Hand by then? There could have been a Small Council meeting about it, or the kind could have confided in him.
I have a hard time believing that Viserys would have told the new Hand or the Small Council that his brother may have knocked up his daughter. Then again, it's not my story to tell.

Also, if I'm the king and my wife intentionally arrives late to my daughter's wedding announcement ball in order to show me up and wears a dress in a color that everybody seems to know means "We're going to war!" then she'd be like one of those Russians who have been falling out of windows lately before she had a chance to sit down. I'd point to my dragon and say "Any objections?" But Viserys is a chump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts