TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
Sick or not, why does King Viserys travel to his subject Corlys' castle? He's the king. His subjects travel to him. The marriage proposal negotiations could even have been done by messenger.
Most of your complaints are dead-on, but this one has been pretty much explained. Viserys dissed Corlys pretty badly by spurning his daughter for the help's kid. Corlys in turn joined a military alliance with Viserys's political rival and Rhaerys's rival for the throne. Now he desperately needs Corlys's cooperation to save his intended dynasty. Traveling to meet Corlys is a pretty immense show of respect, and would go a long way towards calming the troubled waters between them. Issuing a royal command for Corlys to come to him might only aggravate the situation. And a royal messenger could very well be ignored (and such messengers often bear the brunt of the recipient's displeasure in these kinds of society).

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
I honestly feel like these 5 episodes should have been slowed down and some characters flushed out a bit more and made the entire first season getting to where we are today. It's all so rushed with the time jumps and the lack of character details. Sigh.
I think one problem is that it's based on a "history book," not a novel; the pacing is dictated by how much time they have to cover to get anywhere.

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
Based on the history book, they should still be able to expand on things a bit more than they are, no? They could have filled in the blanks with the help of GRRM, who is on site when they are writing/filming, I heard. I dunno. I like the show but it's just not living up to GOT so far. Also where are my dragons!? :D
Problem is, if they expand on things then they won't get anywhere in the story.

This is a story that takes place over years, decades even. So they can either race through time, or have entire seasons go by where nothing happens.

Not saying you're wrong; but this is the story they decided to tell, and it's really one that's more suited to a book than to a TV show.

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
I see. I guess that makes sense but doesn't make me happy. I just hope they can find a way to get through everything they need to tell while not continuing to make me feel like they are rushing so badly.
I guess they thought the time jumps were a good way to get through the story at a reasonable pace. They might have overestimated their writing skills...

It almost "reads" like the CliffsNotes for a much longer series.

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
I think the show For All Mankind did a really good job of ageing its characters without cast changes.
Really? I thought it was pretty bad. I mean, I can live with it, because they only have so much budget and so much time for the make-up chair. But by now they look decades younger than they should.

Not as bad as The Tudors, but in the same territory.

·
I am Groot!
58,126 Posts
The 22 year old playing a 12 year old is being replaced because of an ~ 10 year time jump.

Make it make sense.

And I know the new actress was cast first, but....
The 22-year-old that some people were complaining looked too young...

And the character was 14 at the beginning of the show. She's now 17-18.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts