TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of upcoming travel for work and I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch my episodes while in a hotel room. My iPad and Android phone work, but the screens are small.

Ideally I'd like to watch episodes from the TV in the hotel room.

Any suggestions? Nothing too complicated please (I'm technologically challenged in some (ok, probably most) areas. o_O :flushed:

I have the TiVo BOLT (500 GB)

· Ambassador to the City of Chicago
742 Posts
I have a lot of upcoming travel for work and I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch my episodes while in a hotel room. My iPad and Android phone work, but the screens are small.

Ideally I'd like to watch episodes from the TV in the hotel room.

Any suggestions? Nothing too complicated please (I'm technologically challenged in some (ok, probably most) areas. o_O :flushed:

I have the TiVo BOLT (500 GB)
What type of iPad? I handled this last year by using a USB-C dock connected to my iPad Pro - had a HDMI cable connected to the TV and a USB wireless mouse to remotely control the iPad's TiVo app. Worked pretty well aside from the "not using the whole TV" issue, but that's a limit of iPadOS.

· Registered
3,984 Posts
I used to download from TiVo with KMTTG, convert to MPEG4 and upload to my iPad using iTunes. It took a bit of experimentation to determine the KMTTG (actually HandBrake) parameters required to create files that were acceptable to Apple, but that has been greatly relaxed over the years.

Nowadays many streaming services, such as Netflix and Amazon, allow downloading for offline viewing, and IMO provide a better quality experience.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@lhvetinari The iPad is about 6-7 years old. What do you mean about "not using the whole TV" issue? Now that Tivo offers streaming capabilities, I'm wondering if I can use something like Chrome Cast to connect my Android or Laptop to a TV. Does that sound like an option?

· Ambassador to the City of Chicago
742 Posts
@lhvetinari The iPad is about 6-7 years old. What do you mean about "not using the whole TV" issue? Now that Tivo offers streaming capabilities, I'm wondering if I can use something like Chrome Cast to connect my Android or Laptop to a TV. Does that sound like an option?
Chromecast might work? Don't know, haven't tried it with TiVo app. Report back if it works.

When I say "doesn't use the whole TV", I mean this - 2020 iPad Pro: External Video FULL screen support? | MacRumors Forums - the iPad Pro mirrors the iPad screen to the TV, but the aspect ratio is different so you get side-bars.

· Registered
3,984 Posts
@ej42137 Tivo now has streaming capabilities so I can watch shows on my iPad / Android device, but how do I connect this to an actual TV screen for viewing?
Go to TiVo Central, select Apps, choose Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu or whatever.

But really, I wouldn't (that is, I don't) bother, TiVo provides an inferior streaming experience compared to Apple TV or a smart TV.

· Registered
3,524 Posts
Some hotel TVs disable the extra HDMI ports or make it difficult to change inputs

Some android phones can use a usbc to hdmi adapter. Plug your phone to the TV and you're good to go. Suggest downloading shows to your phone rather then streaming

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.