TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have a major decorating project under planning in da house.

Mostly will affect the lounge which is where I have a lot of unsightly cables behind the telly - the Sky, Virgin Media and TiVo boxes, the Panasonic home theatre etc etc.

I'm thinking I might spend some (not loads of) money tidying it all but I can't find anywhere to find available products. Someone told me for instance you can get skirting boards with a cable void.

I also might, just might, look into putting all the gubbins into the loft, then pipe just a single cable into each room from some kind of distribution panel. But I don't know enough about cabling & signals and in particular TV cabling myself - for instance, if I sometime went to HDMI does the Sky stb (or Virgin) have to be next to the set or can you use coax, or wireless?

Can anyone recommend any good sites where I can find out more about doing this? I don't mind discussing here, but it really isn't the place...

·
TiVoCentral.co.uk
2,589 Posts
HDMI is only good for short runs in practice (over 20ft gets expensive).

You can get repeaters, and pipe HDMI cable around the house, but it would work out
expensive, and not necessarily futureproof IMO.

I piped 2 CAT5e cables to each room when doing this. That's flexible enough to be used for either data networking or carrying video (there are hdmi extenders running over cat5).

Coax would work, but you wouldn't get hidef over it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, seen letsautomate but not the other. They are great as far as they go, but I also could do with a discussion board (forum) where I can explore what I need, e.g. what would provide some future proofing, what is the best approach etc.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have XBox 360s by each TV and use regular CAT5 to tansmit the (digital) TV from a central PC server.

AV Forums has nothing to do with this forum; you're thinking of AVS Forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.