TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Sure, but you won't see a family going to Disneyland on NBC 😃
(this episode was really an infomercial)
Funny you should say that because I looked it up, and the first sitcom (or one of the first) to shoot an episode inside one of the Disney theme parks was Blossom, which aired on NBC. Of course, that was in the early 90s before Disney bought ABC and Blossom was produced by Touchstone, which was/is owned by Disney.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
The storyline was fine, but the shameless plugging of Disneyland was WAY over the top, complete with Disney logo everywhere, shirts, merch, a demo of the Star Wars ride, shilling Disneyland in every conceivable way. It was Disney's way of trying to get people back to the park. Sure this stuff has been done before, but I still hate it. Disney does it more than most, but we've seen Fox shill it's TV schedule by having cast members in the stands during a World Series game and making sure to show them in the crowd, and NBC has had some tie ins to Universal stuff, but this was TOO much, to the point where it distracted to a minor story line which was built around the shill. Sorry, but lost a bit of respect for the show runners, who I'm sure were told they had to do this.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Not over the top at all. Once you say they are going to Disney, they go to Disney. What do you expect? Wally World?
You don't expect at every turn, EVERYONE wearing Disney gear, even the people the met. I've gone to Disney many times and while there people wearing gear quite often, it's only perhaps half the people. Then they "previewed" a showcase ride they wanted the audience to see. They showcased merchandise they wanted to sell. It was WAY over the top. I'm not surprised by it, but it annoyed me. Disney is going to do Disney things and it's not beneath them to shill Disney. It's not the first or last time a network will do this.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
It was over the top. It seemed like a shill for Disney parks. Non-stop promoting of Disney "stuff"; rides, characters, souvenirs, food, etc.

As I mentioned several posts back, I was able to handle it because I like the show, and I'm (for the most part) a Disney fan. So it was tolerable. Honestly, if it was a show I had been iffy about, I probably would stop watching and delete the SP.

"Call Me Kat" had an episode last season where the two leads from "Welcome to Flatch" appeared. I was already tenuous about CMK, but still watching. When the two actors from WtF started plugging their show (which I had stopped watching a few weeks before), I stopped watching CMK and deleted the SP.

Over the top promotions can exact a price.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
It was over the top. It seemed like a shill for Disney parks. Non-stop promoting of Disney "stuff"; rides, characters, souvenirs, food, etc.

As I mentioned several posts back, I was able to handle it because I like the show, and I'm (for the most part) a Disney fan. So it was tolerable. Honestly, if it was a show I had been iffy about, I probably would stop watching and delete the SP.

"Call Me Kat" had an episode last season where the two leads from "Welcome to Flatch" appeared. I was already tenuous about CMK, but still watching. When the two actors from WtF started plugging their show (which I had stopped watching a few weeks before), I stopped watching CMK and deleted the SP.

Over the top promotions can exact a price.
As I mentioned, Fox has been notorious during the MLB post season (which happen to coincide with the beginning of the Fall season) of having cast members of Fox shows they are plugging in the crowd, conveniently for TV screen time, using American Idol or other show performers sing the National Anthem or America the Beautiful and often a star of one of their shows will do the opening monologue that introduces the upcoming event (they do this for their NFL games as well). CBS will shill their new shows on various other platforms, or books they are pushing. NBC often will have stars of their shows on the Today show. So this type of thing is nothing new. Disney on the other hand will often use SCRIPTED shows to shill their other properties and that's much much more annoying. I guess Fox did it on CMK, which I don't watch. But in this particular case, when you build the show plot around shilling your products, it's a bit more than I can take. Like you, I enjoy this show, so I'd let it slide this one time, but if this become a show that's sole purpose is to shill other Disney properties, I'm out.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
You don't expect at every turn, EVERYONE wearing Disney gear, even the people the met. I've gone to Disney many times and while there people wearing gear quite often, it's only perhaps half the people. Then they "previewed" a showcase ride they wanted the audience to see. They showcased merchandise they wanted to sell. It was WAY over the top. I'm not surprised by it, but it annoyed me. Disney is going to do Disney things and it's not beneath them to shill Disney. It's not the first or last time a network will do this.
Still disagree. Only if you are looking for everyone wearing Disney clothes do you notice. Watch the show and stop worrying about trivia. Maybe I noticed it less because I go to tons of sporting events and am used to people wearing the same type of stuff. Doesn’t seem odd to me.

And I 100% prefer it to the reality of going to a real amusement park than something fake like many movies and shows have done.

I watched the show for the story and the jokes. Not to judge how much product was shown or what they “showcased” which is knowing waaaay too much about what is current in Disney anyway.

I’m done. Let you be “grumpy” about it. Or was that too Disney a comment?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Still disagree. Only if you are looking for everyone wearing Disney clothes do you notice. Watch the show and stop worrying about trivia. Maybe I noticed it less because I go to tons of sporting events and am used to people wearing the same type of stuff. Doesn’t seem odd to me.

And I 100% prefer it to the reality of going to a real amusement park than something fake like many movies and shows have done.

I watched the show for the story and the jokes. Not to judge how much product was shown or what they “showcased” which is knowing waaaay too much about what is current in Disney anyway.

I’m done. Let you be “grumpy” about it. Or was that too Disney a comment?
It's funny because I'm usually the one who makes this type of comment, in that so many people look at every frigging detail and notice all kind of issues with a show, and I'm usually, I enjoy the show and can ignore crap like that. But in this case, I couldn't. Sorry, I guess the stuff doesn't bother you, and that's fine. I own a few sports memorabilia items, tshirts, hats and stuff, and I even have a couple of Disney items. But that's my prerogative. But I don't own the GIants or Yankees, or whatever, I'm a fan. In THIS case, it's just crass advertising disguised as a TV show with a thinly veiled plot line that could have been handled in so many other ways. Instead, it was handled with "Let's go to Disneyland" so we could advertise Disney stuff.

·
Brr. It's Chile here
3,481 Posts
Funny, I probably wouldn’t even have noticed the blatant infomercial aspect of the show if it wasn’t for this thread, but only because I’m pretty oblivious. My daughter (a huge Disney fan) watched the show with us and instantly pointed out that it looked like a long Disney commercial.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Funny, I probably wouldn’t even have noticed the blatant infomercial aspect of the show if it wasn’t for this thread, but only because I’m pretty oblivious. My daughter (a huge Disney fan) watched the show with us and instantly pointed out that it looked like a long Disney commercial.
You’re not the target audience 😁
This is a family show, so I could see how some kids might say ”That looks like fun, can we go?”
sorta like how toy commercials were shown during Saturday morning cartoons

·
Brr. It's Chile here
3,481 Posts
Not that I didn’t notice the Disney - it just didn’t occur to me we were watching an infomercial. I just thought that Marina was really really enthusiastic about being at Disneyland since she’d never been there.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
Not that I didn’t notice the Disney - it just didn’t occur to me we were watching an infomercial. I just thought that Marina was really really enthusiastic about being at Disneyland since she’d never been there.
I thought Marina didn't seem to even notice or care she was at Disneyland. She was more interested in dictating that everyone stick to her militant schedule.

I liked this week's episode more. Connor pretending to be a publisher (including glasses and cardigan) and switching up some of the pairings (Lupe and Denise) was good. And Sarah being gone most of the episode lessened the buzzkill that she brings to the show.

I want to know what kind of seal Denise and Sarah had on their apartment's front door that it held all that water for days without it leaking into the hall or down to the floor below them.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts