TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Yes I did see your mention of it being based on a real situation. But this specific quoted area, you see plenty of "creative" people doing a day job and spending the rest of their time doing whatever their "passion" is. (Heck, you see the same thing for tech people too.. Mark Cuban talks about the various things he did for free or low paid work while he was starting.. Adam Carolla talks about so much stuff he did for free while he was trying to get into the biz)
Probably most people will take a day job to pay the bills if they haven't yet found success in whatever it is they're pursuing, creative or not. But that is not a hard and fast rule, and there are plenty who try to get support so they can be fully focused on what it is they're passionate about. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, and it's certainly not something that only happens on a TV show.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
I don't understand why cliche/PC criticism when discussing a network comedy needs to be mentioned any longer, unless the PC is beyond obnoxious. Nearly all network comedies are going to be, unless the show is coming in with a large base like Young Sheldon.

The Nets are broadcasters, not narrowcasters. They are trying to bring in a wide range of the population, not target specific groups. If you don't want PC, network comedy is not for you.

PS keeping season pass for now.
Part of the problem with these "broad"cast networks, especially with new shows, is the network execs give all kinds of notes to (theoretically) make the show more appealing to the masses. Inevitably, most of these notes wind up softening the edges of the show and making it less interesting. I suspect this is where much of the PC/cliche stuff is added into a show's pilot episode.

Reactions: Family

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
No, I think you're misunderstanding what is being called PC. Unfortunately, this would probably be called political if I brought it up, but as mentioned, several other things (which I admit I guess are ALSO cliches) happened in that single episode.
I am not but I think you are applying your narrow definition of what someone should or shouldn't do in their careers to defining what you think is PC. In other words, you are imposing your judgement on others. Done with this. If you think this show is PC, you have no idea what the words mean.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For me, your two sentences seem to contradict each other. Well, I thought it came close to "obnoxious", and some of the specifics were mentioned by others in this thread..

and especially BEING broadasters, that seems to me like it is liable to put off a large proportion of viewers.
I have no idea what you are saying in the first paragraph.

As for the second paragraph we could debate if their marketing analysis is incorrect, but that represents the network approach to program development. It's like a political party (either political party) caving into demands from multiple groups. Both put off a large portion of the population, but remain in power.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
I don't have a problem with PC per se, I think every show should be inclusive where possible. But what the networks are doing, has become almost cliche and it feels like they want to have a quota or something. Lesbian couple, check, mixed race marriage, check, gay man, check. So many series just try and put each one of these in EVERY series and many times it just feels forced. But after awhile, I don't even notice it if the show it good.

Anyway, watched E2, and I liked it more. The younger wealthy brother seemed to be toned down some and we learned more about the family dynamic.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
cliche/PC "leaves out" somewhere around half of the population, so how is it "broadcasting" and not "narrowcasting"? That's how your two paragraphs contradict each other.
How does making the characters more representative of our diverse population "leave out" half the population? If someone refuses to watch a TV show because it depicts gay or interracial relationships then that person is a bigot. Why would the broadcast networks feel the need to cater toward bigots?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,387 Posts
How does making the characters more representative of our diverse population "leave out" half the population? If someone refuses to watch a TV show because it depicts gay or interracial relationships then that person is a bigot. Why would the broadcast networks feel the need to cater toward bigots?
Because that's arguably 70M people (It's not but the media would lead you to believe that those voters are all bigots). As I said, being inclusive is a good thing. Checking off the boxes (which is what it seems like for all new shows), because they NEED to be inclusive doesn't feel right, it feels forced.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
Because that's arguably 70M people (It's not but the media would lead you to believe that those voters are all bigots). As I said, being inclusive is a good thing. Checking off the boxes (which is what it seems like for all new shows), because they NEED to be inclusive doesn't feel right, it feels forced.
I agree that it's forced and cliche. I've already said that it's largely network execs trying to justify their jobs by giving notes that are totally unnecessary. But it doesn't offend me or "leave me out" which is what I was responding to.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It doesn't look like there's been any discussion since the new season started. I'm still liking it. Good one last week, with the girl from summer camp.

And some news...

'Home Economics' Adds Episodes To Season 2 - IsMyShowCancelled.com

ABC announced today that Season 2 of Home Economics has been topped up by nine episodes, giving it a full season's worth of 22. Coming five episodes into its sophomore run, the order significantly expands the episode count compared to Season 1, which aired only seven episodes as a mid-season entry earlier this year.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I usually watch it the night of. The family dynamics are great, and I've liked that this season they've given Tom's wife (Marina) and Sarah's wife (Denise) more to do than just be plus ones at family events.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
And some news...

'Home Economics' Adds Episodes To Season 2 - IsMyShowCancelled.com

ABC announced today that Season 2 of Home Economics has been topped up by nine episodes, giving it a full season's worth of 22. Coming five episodes into its sophomore run, the order significantly expands the episode count compared to Season 1, which aired only seven episodes as a mid-season entry earlier this year.
Shocked to see it get 22. Guess they can cut back. The ratings have really been marginal.

Wish they could nore of the kids in. They might be more fun than the adults.

Still it's acceptable half hour comedy.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
Shocked to see it get 22. Guess they can cut back. The ratings have really been marginal.

Wish they could nore of the kids in. They might be more fun than the adults.

Still it's acceptable half hour comedy.
Wait, you WANT them to show more of the kids? Why? This isn't a show about the kids.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts