TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
That's what it should be.

Note that HME/VLC would appear in the Music, Photos & More menu, not in Now Playing.
In addition, make sure you have the "Home Applications" enabled under the Music, Photos & More Menu [very bottom].

wmcbrine said:
... phdeez: I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you, but I didn't want to answer before I'd researched it... which I still haven't. I know that VLC can display subtitles. I assume it will embed them in the transcoded video, but I'm not sure. It's also possible to display them via HME, but I'd have to study the formats, etc. I think it would be worthwhile, but as a longer-term project.
wmcbrine, it's all good. It certainly isn't a pressing matter... but honestly I'd like any home app to stream subtitles to my Tivo without having to re-encode the video with static subtitles... Like a subtitle "option" just like Closed Captioning is today...

goodtrips said:
wmcbrine, I wanted to get your thoughts on audio quality.

I've noticed on many different formats, .mpg, .mp4, etc that the audio quality with VLC streamer is significantly lower quality than TivoStreamer, pyTivo, etc. To my untrained ear, it almost sounds like the difference between 22khz to a 44khz file.
I will agree with what goodtrips said about audio quality. Comparing pytivo and HME/VLC for just a sample file on my system I find the audio is much different- with the advantage clearly going to pytivo when re-encoding is necessary... maybe the difference is between the encoders...

Could it be a setting in VLC causing it? Probably...

· Registered
48 Posts
I don't think you will be able to get away without transcoding although it could be done on the fly. The Tivo does not respond to embedded captions in the streaming media as it does downloaded ones so unless there is a new undiscovered mechanism, hard coded subtitles will be the only path.

When I have used vlc to stream in other circumstances it always seemed to require something like
--sout=#transcode{vcodec=...,soverlay} to make this work.
Sorry, I meant "static" subtitles like using a separate application to re-encode the video PRIOR to streaming it with the subtitles permanently overlayed on the video. It would be most beneficial to "decode" a .srt file in the same directory as the .avi/etc on the fly... or something like that.

wmcbrine said:
The captions don't have to be embedded. They could be rendered via HME, just like the progress bar, info, etc.

I just had a look at an .srt file, and it seems ridiculously simple. I'm thinking about how to handle it... I can probably refresh it on resource info events.
Awesome news! Thanks for looking into it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.