TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just set this up last night. Got it running on WinXP SP2, but ran into a few gotchas.

1. Recordings drive letter != HME/VLC installation drive letter.
Of course this is fixed by adding "--datapath X:\" to the command line, but it would have been nice for this to be included in the installation docs, rather than having to go scouring to find the answer.

2. Path names with spaces in them are not really handled well. Adding double-quotes around the paths didn't seem to correct the problem, and resulted in a different kind of path name parsing error instead. I remedied the situation by renaming the directories and filenames to remove the spaces.

3. Begin playback of one video. After a short while, left click out of the recording and get back to the file browser. Choose a different video and select it for streaming. Playback commences, but of the FIRST video, and right at the point from which you exited it in the first place. Once you're in this state, it doesn't matter how many times you exit and select a different video, you'll always be returned to the original video when you try to play anything back. I had to kill the ffmpeg window in order to play out anything else. Is there a feedback mechanism between HME and ffmpeg (or VLC) to halt it from streaming when the user interrupts playback ?

Other than that, this is really cool. It will handle most playback cases, except for high resolution (>720p) sources, which my current machine can not stream in real time. pyTivo will have to suffice for those videos.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
On 3, are you saying that happens every time, or just sometimes? (Of course it should happen never.) Are you using Python 2.4? (See post #14 above.)

I haven't seen the space problem; I'll look into it.
I would have to say sometimes, because I can't say it happened always. I iterated through quite a few test runs last night, and I can't definitely say it happened all the time. I'll re-test and report.

Python 2.5.2

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
OK, I finally got a chance to test under Windows, and I couldn't reproduce any problem with spaces at all. PaulS, you may want to reexamine your issue. (I can't duplicate your other problem, either.)
Sorry, not going to be able to get to it tonight. Had to do some work at home, and then my wife took over the TiVo to watch "her shows". :(

I'll take another crack at it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yep, that did it -- thanks wmcbrine.

I know you're obviously working through some kinks, but just a side thought -- is it possible to to modify the output stream settings that are sent to the TiVo? I'm thinking the quality of the files would look significantly better if we let VLC handle the upscaling versus the TiVo/TV.

I believe for 720p we'd be looking at 1280x720 @ 60fps. Not sure what the bitrate would have to be to support that, but could be an interesting test.
That may be true, but the computational overhead involved with rescaling HD resolutions may be too onerous for many folks' computers. This may be a good candidate for a configurable option.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Another problem I've yet to resolve involves videos that fail to play out. I can successfully browse the file system, and select a video to stream. At that point, a command window is spawned on the server machine running VLC or ffmpeg, and the TiVo displays the filename with the ping-pong graphic. After a while, the VLC/ffmpeg command window simply disappears and the TiVo shows an error message.

Is there some way to help diagnose what's going on ?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Now that the Boxee guys have figured out how to get streaming from Hulu, CBS, Comedy Central, Last.fm, and flickr, is there any chance of HME/VLC being able to reproduce this ? I think there would be a LOT of interest for Hulu access on a TiVo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.