TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed and ran this today on a successful live p2p tv test. This has got amazing potential!

I haven't been able to have any luck, however, with streaming any local MP4 or M4V video files. I tried taking out spaces in the naming convention, but am getting -404 and message Not Found errors accompanied with "error reading stream" on the TiVo itself.

My feeling is that this could be a much more elegant and powerful solution to pyTivo. Very encouraged, and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
41 Posts
goodtrips, if you're in Windows, try starting it with the datapath option, e.g., "python start.py --datapath c:\".
Yep, that did it -- thanks wmcbrine.

I know you're obviously working through some kinks, but just a side thought -- is it possible to to modify the output stream settings that are sent to the TiVo? I'm thinking the quality of the files would look significantly better if we let VLC handle the upscaling versus the TiVo/TV.

I believe for 720p we'd be looking at 1280x720 @ 60fps. Not sure what the bitrate would have to be to support that, but could be an interesting test.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some strange behavior I've been seeing -- I'm constantly getting socket.error 10054 - Connection rest by peer errors when I try streaming regular MP4 files. However, h.264 files (baseline 3 ipod format) seem to stream just fine.

For what it's worth, I use handbrake to encode all my media.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wmcbrine, I wanted to get your thoughts on audio quality.

I've noticed on many different formats, .mpg, .mp4, etc that the audio quality with VLC streamer is significantly lower quality than TivoStreamer, pyTivo, etc. To my untrained ear, it almost sounds like the difference between 22khz to a 44khz file.

I know other people here have asked about being able to customize the output settings, but wanted to get your thoughts specifically on the audio piece.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love this app, and I have to imagine that all XBMC-type improvements to HME are going to be forked off of this. So thank you for all your hard work William. I use it almost daily.

That being said, I am amazed at how many types of files I cannot play on my TiVo with this. The expectation being that since VLC can play anything, I should be able to stream anything to the TiVo.

I have a lot of self-encoded iPod/iPhone/AppleTV encoded files that this app refuses to stream (some in .mp4, some in .m4v). In fact, the .m4v files won't even show up in the directory list. On both types of files, I constantly get "error reading stream." Now some work, while most don't. .mpg works fine. Other file types just don't show up.

VLC as an app should be able to transcode anything to TiVo compliant video. My gut tells me there should be some built-in transcoding logic that works roughly this:

1. Display all video file types (.avi,.mp4,.m4v,wmv,etc)
2. Attempt to play selected stream as pass-through
3. If pass through fails (error reading stream), then re-attempt with transcode

I am guessing the logic currently works like this:
1. If file type = mp4 or mpg, then pass-through without transcoding

--side note: the needs_vlc variable doesn't seem to have any effect on my tests.

Live TV streams and tvants stream and transcode just fine, so my gut tells me with a little logic and error checking, just about anything should too. It's also possible that it currently works like this and I am totally missing something...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.