TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just wanted to say that I am having VM TIVO installed on Tuesday and just thought that I would say hello early. I have to say that I am waiting for the box to be installed as after reading countless threads and blogs about this. I do hope that it lives up to the hype ( only joking as I am sure that it will:eek: ).

As a first time user of TIVO I will need plenty of help and help of this and i do hope that you are as helpful as members of other forums?

Any-way introductions out of the way what delights am i to expect?

·
Virgin Media Staff
115 Posts
Hi all just wanted to say that I am having VM TIVO installed on Tuesday and just thought that I would say hello early. I have to say that I am waiting for the box to be installed as after reading countless threads and blogs about this. I do hope that it lives up to the hype ( only joking as I am sure that it will:eek: ).

As a first time user of TIVO I will need plenty of help and help of this and i do hope that you are as helpful as members of other forums?

Any-way introductions out of the way what delights am i to expect?
Hiya, bud ;)

This is a good forum.. Some very knowledgable TiVo owners on here... getting some good feedback too. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
At the moment I'm tending in the other direction. The new boxes lack the TiVo magic. It's good to have 2 tuners and HD, and I gather they compare well to rival boxes with similar features, but so far it's not made me feel as passionate about it as S1 TiVo did. I hope it gets better, but I suspect a lot of the problems are due to policy decisions by VM or TiVo that won't be reversed.

(Examples include putting Guide at the top of the Home menu and the most used option My Shows in lowly 4th place; the new Guide layout, not allowing channels to be deleted, and the painfully slow UI. It can all be lived with, but it all degrades the experience.)

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
(Examples include putting Guide at the top of the Home menu and the most used option My Shows in lowly 4th place....
A problem which is negated by...

1. A big "MY SHOWS" button to take you directly to that page.
and
2. Pressing "HOME" twice (or once from the 'home' page) will also take you directly to the 'My Shows' page.

...the new Guide layout, not allowing channels to be deleted, and the painfully slow UI. It can all be lived with, but it all degrades the experience.)
I agree with the bolded item. The others, like you say, I can live with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A problem which is negated by...
No, it's not. I sometimes navigate by menus rather than use the buttons. If the menus aren't there to be used, what's the point of them? And if there to be used, they should be correct.

I agree with the bolded item. The others, like you say, I can live with.
I can live with all of them. But they all contribute to the experience being just another PVR, instead of something special.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You know this is still possible?! Took me a while to find it under "My Shows & Recordings" - "Manual Recordings". Once there, it looks very familiar.
Wow, very familiar...

I'm like a pig in **** now.....I assumed manual recordings would be the same as on S1 and had ignored it, but no there it all is by time and by channel.

Is there a short cut though like there use to be?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The only things that are tainting my experiences with the new TiVo are:

1. The continuing PIN annoyance
2. The fact that Suggestions hasn't recorded one thing that I want to watch (apart from continually recording things from the HD channels that I already have series links to on the SD equivalent).
3. The fact the arrival of the new TiVo has coincided with some pretty dismal TV schedules and I'm struggling to find anything I want to watch/record.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just had mine installed this morning and have been playing with it since ( had to stop or i would go blind ). I have to say that it is AMAZING and I love the sleekness of the interface.
The engineers were here for about a hour in total to get it up and running and I had to explain a few things to them ( They said that they would call back in the morning after I had a play with the box? ).

It is a brilliant piece of kit and have to say is whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopie:D:D:D:D

·
uktivo.blogspot.com
217 Posts
Just had mine installed this morning and have been playing with it since ( had to stop or i would go blind ). I have to say that it is AMAZING and I love the sleekness of the interface.
The engineers were here for about a hour in total to get it up and running and I had to explain a few things to them ( They said that they would call back in the morning after I had a play with the box? ).

It is a brilliant piece of kit and have to say is whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopie:D:D:D:D
my engineer was really nice and strangely also said that she'd pop back with a proper instruction manual rather than the print out she left and to check up on me but never did :confused::down::(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my engineer was really nice and strangely also said that she'd pop back with a proper instruction manual rather than the print out she left and to check up on me but never did :confused::down::(
The reason that they said that they would come back is due to after reading here,Cable Forum and other forums I was more clued up than them:D. They were discussing the blue light on the box and I had to point out that it was the download light ( also to show the via the VM website ).
One of the installers had not done any TIVO installs and the other had only done them with the principal tech.

PS Also have to say they were very good techs as they checked all the other connections and the other box as well.

·
VM Tivo User
34 Posts
Hello everybody,i get my tivo installed on saturday so i thought id introduce myself early.Never had tivo b4 so will be relying on you self taught experts for help,Seen some familiar names on here so lucking foward to joining the vm tivo revolution

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.