TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know if anybody can answer this.

i've been working on receiving OTA signals with my HR10-250 and while i get much better signals than my sammy TS-160, the only way i can watch locals here in toronto is to change the setting for the system to "OTA only".

i then end up with a great signal on toronto locals (although nothing from buffalo/grand island) but of course, i can't watch my directv programming without going through a long procedure to set the system back to "satellite/OTA".

the sammy, on the other hand, gives me both toronto locals AND buffalo/grand island locals but i end up with weaker signals. it even gives me guide info on the toronto locals, lol.

weird but true.

note: for all intents and purposes, i live in new york city. ;)

does anybody know what the problem is and better yet, if there's something i can do to fix the problem?

thanks a lot you guys. :up:

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol, not so simple, is it? :D

·
Got Basenji?
7,226 Posts
Wow, I have never tried that setting. I wonder if somethign in the signal path changes inside hte unit that alloows better reception?

Do you have a seperate antenna wire and seperate satellite feeds?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you setting up the secondary market with your local OTA zip code?

For example, I'm in Los Angeles for my primary market. All my SAT chanells come from this market. Under Secondary market, I have a san diego zip code. This allows me to recieve OTA channels from the San Diego market.

·
Save the Moderatоr
34,556 Posts
The secondary market setting on the HR10-250 is by market area, not zip code. I forget if the first setting is the same or done by zip code, but in any event all this does is preload channel/frequency info from DirecTV; you should still be able to scan for OTA channels with the HR10-250, even in addition to the primary and secondary market settings.

Are you unable to do this? When you configure it as OTA only what do you do for primary/secondary market settings?

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee L said:
Wow, I have never tried that setting. I wonder if somethign in the signal path changes inside hte unit that alloows better reception?

Do you have a seperate antenna wire and seperate satellite feeds?
yes, i have a separate cable that goes directly from the antenna to the antenna in on the tivo.

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnTivo said:
Are you setting up the secondary market with your local OTA zip code?

For example, I'm in Los Angeles for my primary market. All my SAT chanells come from this market. Under Secondary market, I have a san diego zip code. This allows me to recieve OTA channels from the San Diego market.
i fooled around with the "secondary market" today but i can't put my canadian "postal" code in, it's 6 digits long. :(

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dswallow said:
The secondary market setting on the HR10-250 is by market area, not zip code. I forget if the first setting is the same or done by zip code, but in any event all this does is preload channel/frequency info from DirecTV; you should still be able to scan for OTA channels with the HR10-250, even in addition to the primary and secondary market settings.

Are you unable to do this? When you configure it as OTA only what do you do for primary/secondary market settings?
the first one is done by zip code because it automatically chooses it for you where as with the second one, you have to choose it.

i'm gonna try this again now because i can't remember if i was in the "OTA only" mode when i was fooling around with it.

·
HR10-250 Lover
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update: i tried using a niagara falls zip code but nothing changed.

even with the new zip code, i still didn't have the option of choosing niagara falls in the primary/secondary market settings.

maybe i need to "move" to niagara falls but then i'd lose the new york city hd networks.

urgh. :mad:

thanks anyway, everybody.

·
Got Basenji?
7,226 Posts
So, is your problem poor reception or issues with primary and secondary markets displaying channels in teh guide?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.