TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate some help figuring out whether it is a HD, power supply, or motherboard that is dying on this machine. It has the original WD 80 GB drive and an added on 160 GB Seagate drive. Symptoms were a reboot and freeze at the just a few more minutes screen. Pulled the power and restarted it then froze at the starting up screen. Interestingly, the power light was not on up front, but the fan was running. I disconnected the HD cable from the motherboard and the power light then lit up front on the unit. If only one HD was attached it would give the starting up screen momentarily and then the power and recording light flashed intermittently. I tried reseating all cables to the drives and to the power supply. I have pulled the drives and backed them up with MFSTools seemingly without problems. I am now running WD diagnostics program on the original drive and it has not detected any errors. Unfortunately, I can't get Seagate's program to load and recognize the disk for some reason in the computer I am using (controller issue maybe?).

I'm certainly willing to upgrade the drive and lose my recordings, but I don't want to buy a new drive only to discover that it was the power supply or something else.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid doing that if the problem does not seem to lie with the HDs. The original WD passed WD's diagnostics. I am now testing the Seagate without any problems so far.

Has any one seen a power supply that only partially loses its juice? Seems like it is usually an all or none affair?

I've hard drives give out on me before, but this seems different than those failures.

I have a dead 708 sitting around (has a defective satellite input) --too bad I've already used its power supply and hard drive for other purposes...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.