TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went for digital cable from Time Warner, so I'll be attempting to add the digital cable box to my setup later today. Anyone have any insight on how to work in the connection?

Right now, I've got TV, Tivo (Humax DRT800), DVD, Receiver.

I'm not sure how I'm going to hook in the digital cable box and still have everything play nicely with the tivo still controlling channels, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Dumb Blond
47,658 Posts
This is a normal "cable box" install. Cable feed goes to cable box, S-Video and L/R audio from cable box goes to TiVo, and same to TV. IR blaster connects to "IR OUT" jack on TiVo and is positioned on cable box to change channels. Rerun Guided Setup and tell it you have cable with a box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does the IR Blaster come from? Did this come with tivo, or should it have come with the cable box? If it came with tivo, I may have it laying around somewhere. If it should have come with the cable box, I guess I have to call about that. Otherwise I guess I need to buy one somewhere.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
An IR blaster is typically included with a TiVo. You can buy a replacement, and numerous aftermarket blasters are known to work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, ok, so I'm having problems getting this thing setup. Followed the directions above, but no signal. Disconnected everything and went for the simplest setup. Cable feed to digital cable box RF in; Composite out from dig cable box to video in on the Tivo; Video out on the Tivo to video2 in on the TV. Power everything up, went through guided setup, but no picture on the TV.

Any ideas? I thought I read somewhere on here that some cable companies are actually broadcasting true digital, and if that's the case Tivo can't handle it. Maybe that's my issue?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Dumb Blond
47,658 Posts
When you ran Guided Setup, did you see the lie TV picture then? Or, did it ask you what kind of connection you were using and you said "composite video"?

Check your connections again. What comes out of your cable box is normal analog video, otherwise a TV could not handle it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.