TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the good instruction sheet, from Tivo's support pages, on how to install CableCards in the Tivo HD that they can post? I remember there being a link in this forum to a tivo.com support page that provided in depth detail on how to install the cards in the Tivo HD. Now I cannot get anywhere on Tivo's support page. Most the time the links time out or are broken. I have no idea what is wrong with their site. But my dad is having Comcast come out tomorrow to install cable and I wanted to print out that instruction sheet out for him.

Also, Tivo recommends to run the guide set up BEFORE Comcast comes out to install the CableCards. My dad is in a new house and doesn't even have cable installed yet. Should I run the guide set up telling the Tivo HD that he has Comcast cable without having a cable feed yet? Or does the Tivo have to detect an incoming signal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
They are apparently having server problems at tivo.com. I've been getting errors all morning on the site.

Some suggestions:

Even if you don't have a cable connection I would plug it in and let it power up just to see that it is working OK. You should be able to watch some intro clips that Tivo provides.

Check to see what type of cards are going to be provided, although you probably won't get a straight answer. preferably, they will have m-cards and you will only need one of them. If they have s-cards you will need two.

Before inserting the cards make sure your tv is turned on and set to the tivo input.

Write down the serial numbers (printed on the card) for each cablecard.

Insert the cablecard into Slot #1 first (noting which serial number it is). The cablecard decoder screen should come up, followed by the MMI screen. This screen will containg host and data numbers that the tech will have to call into his office to put on your account. Make sure he reads the numbers correctly and ask for the office person to repeat them after he/she enters them in the system. When done, press clear and you should get cablecard menu. Select Test Channels and see that you get a picture on analog channels (2-99), digital channels (100+) and any premium channels that yu subscribe to. It may take 5-10 minutes for some of the channels to show up, but it will not take 4-5 hours like some field techs will try to tell you.

If you had s-cards, repeat this for card #2. Don't let the tech take shortcuts and try to do both cards at the same time. It only causes problems.

If at any time you don't get the cablecard menus that you need, you can manually go to them thru SETTINGS > CABLECARD menus.

Run Guided setup (or finish it if you already had started it.

good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, theoretically, you should be able to run guide set up and it shouldn't kill the pairings of the CableCards with Comcast? I would like to run the guide set up tonight to set up the Tivo with antenna & cable (I have it set up as only antenna right now). Then have the cablecards install tomorrow. Then re-run the guide so it is just cable input (without antenna). Would that work without ruining the pairings with the CableCards and Comcast?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,069 Posts
blips said:
So, theoretically, you should be able to run guide set up and it shouldn't kill the pairings of the CableCards with Comcast? I would like to run the guide set up tonight to set up the Tivo with antenna & cable (I have it set up as only antenna right now). Then have the cablecards install tomorrow. Then re-run the guide so it is just cable input (without antenna). Would that work without ruining the pairings with the CableCards and Comcast?
That will work fine. In fact, you should definitely run guided setup and then force a few connections to get the new software before the installer comes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks he received the new software this past weekend. I had it hooked up with the antenna and phone line. I changed it over to Ethernet Sunday night. I have to finish the coax and ethernet install tonight with wall plates and stuff before Comcast gets there tomorrow. I just figured I would run the guide setup to tell Tivo to accept cable tonight when I was at his house. If I don't do it when I'm there he will never get it right and then call and harass me at work (he doesn't have any technical ability). I'm dreading the cable install tomorrow between him and Comcast. I hope the Comcast installer will know what he is doing because my dad sure won't (even when I spoon feed him all the information he needs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,069 Posts
blips said:
Thanks he received the new software this past weekend. I had it hooked up with the antenna and phone line. I changed it over to Ethernet Sunday night. I have to finish the coax and ethernet install tonight with wall plates and stuff before Comcast gets there tomorrow. I just figured I would run the guide setup to tell Tivo to accept cable tonight when I was at his house. If I don't do it when I'm there he will never get it right and then call and harass me at work (he doesn't have any technical ability). I'm dreading the cable install tomorrow between him and Comcast. I hope the Comcast installer will know what he is doing because my dad sure won't (even when I spoon feed him all the information he needs).
Just run guided setup for cable without cards. When the installer is there, you can ignore any prompts to run guided setup. Even without the guide data for the digital channels, you should be able to tune the digital channels manually to see if they are working or not. Then you can run guided setup again after the installer leaves.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
rainwater said:
When the installer is there, you can ignore any prompts to run guided setup.
Agreed about running an initial guided setup before the cablecards arrive. During the cablecard installation, the channel test in the CableCard menus will tell you what channels a particular cable card can pick up. And after you are satisfied that both cablecards are picking up what they are supposed to, then is the time to re-run guided setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Just one added suggestion:

If there are any problems when testing the channels the tech will very likely say that it will correct itself in 1-2 hours, or 3-4 hours, or overnight. This is just a ploy to get out of the house. It should correct itself in a matter of minutes (10 tops). Just make sure he stays until everything is working.
 

·
Sr Legacy Member
Joined
·
866 Posts
Please don't take offense if this already part of your plan...

If you're planning to run new coax, are you running quad shield RG6 or better?
Be sure to tell him it's all new cable and have him test signal strength on it...

again, if you already covered this, please disregard....my neighbor was running new cable in his remodeled house two weeks ago, and he thought he bought the best quality coax, but it turned about to be standard shield coax....and I told him that if we was bothering to put in new runs that he should put in the higher grade...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I ran double shielded RG6. If it is suppose to be quad then I don't think the builders ran the proper cable because I think they just ran regular or double shielded coax. I just moved a cable from one wall to another. I ran a length about 10-15 feet. I hope that will not affect anything. If there are problems other than that the whole house probably would have to be re-wired. Does cable require quad shielded now? Are there special splitter also? Or can I just go to the hardware store to buy any 75 ohm splitter? (I've been with DirecTv for 10 years. When I make the jump to HD I will probably go to cable.)

Thanks flightrisk I appreciate the help but stream e-mailed me everything I need. I'm all set with the instructions.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top